Mordhau

How should we fix shields being overpowered?

25 41
  • 7 May
 machinegod

@Lumi said:
Remove riposte when holding a shield, problem solved.

This. Maybe add stam drain as well.

28 22

@machinegod said:

@Lumi said:

No.

25 41
  • 7 May
 machinegod

@NumidianPikeman said:

@machinegod said:

@Lumi said:

No.

can shield crutch boy stop commenting on every topic about shields with his unnecessary input

28 22

@machinegod said:

@NumidianPikeman said:

@machinegod said:

@Lumi said:

No.

can shield crutch boy stop commenting on every topic about shields with his unnecessary input

Can the common peasantry stop complaining about a feature that needs [NOT] be changed because they want an easier opponent with their unnecessary complaints?

182 200
  • 7 May
 Roag

I think the common census from experienced players is pretty much summed up by my post from another thread:

Fighting a shield player of any level in 1vX is a pain, they take ages to kill purely because they're normally super passive/defensive so you can't switch onto them or kick them and getting around the shield is pretty tricky - side stabbing works but not consistently, jump stabbing is better but easily countered by anyone who isn't a bot - not to mention if you have a few other people on you there isn't really time to be focusing on the shield.

Shields at the moment are enabling new players to compete in Xv1 easily and with 0 risk to themselves unless they over agress or get into kick range, all the while preventing the 1 from making switches which are imperative to staying alive in these scenarios.

Is shield OP in a 1v1 scenario? No, not really.
Is shield OP in a 1vX scenario? Absolutely.

Balancing the shield is going to be pretty tricky, I'm sure the devs are thinking of solution for this - maybe we'll see some more mechanics added.

For the time being I don't think the problem is super glaring, but it does need looked at later down the line.

From messing around with shield last night, it seems you can hold the shield up indefinitely without any stamina cost - having a limit on this + larger stam drain in team fights may be a short-term solution.

Knight 1269 3804
  • 7 May
 Frise

wah wah I wanna hold a single button and be impossible to kill for at least 10 seconds against 4 other players even if they stab me in the back because my parrybox is a fucking joke wah wah wah I want to make teamplay boring as shit wah I'm unable to realise I know very little about the game and that all the counters I mention are useless against any shield player with half a brain

1420 1499

You forgot to garnish it with tales of your success á la "I was really successful because I realized that I had to be aggressive in between my minute-long held block sessions" or "I learned to time it just right so I could get a stab with my rapier in between their attacks". If you want to go wild you try even something like "What separates me from shield noobs is that I know when to drop my shield. I even counter-kicked someone yesterday!" or "I have become so good that I can only get beaten when my stamina runs out - fkn OP mauls!"

13 7
  • 12 May
 spoopbeats

@NumidianPikeman said:
The war Axe specifically does a great job at eating up stamina.
I went against a opponent that was very good with War axe in a duel,
i lost my shield, and got killed.

But once i figured out his technique, in the second duel, i didnt allow his
usual "Stagger kick and axe stab" which is incredibly fast, to finish me, so i
managed to kill him.

And yes the shield flies off your hand when you hit 0 stamina. Then you're left
with your main weapon. If you block another hit without recovering stamina, you lose
that weapon too.

So i really see no problems with the shield, except people demanding that its stamina costs
are higher, which is ridiculous. Basically, to be blunt, requiring fewer shield blocks before it flies off,
its unthinkable and unfair.

Then again i could fight with 2 handers, but i prefer to be on a safer side, with shield and Bastard sword
with my own technique.

Wow man you didn't allow his super fast crazy ultimate combo technique kick attack to get you the second time, possibly because you realized that you can just.. move back! I'm baffled.

Wow, one weapon drains a lot of stamina. I applaud you for bringing an end to this discussion with your irrefutable proof that shields are balanced.

I also see no problems with the shield, because like you said, you can kick the shield, which staggers, the opponent! I am filled with ecstasy from your providing of this brilliant insight that is not completely negated by walking backwards or, more importantly, being in a group, which is clearly the main issue of shields.