Mordhau

How should we fix shields being overpowered?

6 1

I think that making kicks faster and stronger against shields would fix it. I really don'y believe that nerfing it would make people happy and would just make people stop using shields. I think my option could help in keeping shields viable, while making them easier to counter. Anyone who encounters this thread, please share your ideas. (please no toxicity)

4 1
  • 5 May

Giving shields a health stat and having them break after being hit enough times seems like a fair trade off to me. Just means you can't turtle behind them all the time because eventually it'll break. Probably scale effectiveness of breaking it towards axes and other non-piercing attacks.

529 278

@017 said:
Giving shields a health stat and having them break after being hit enough times seems like a fair trade off to me. Just means you can't turtle behind them all the time because eventually it'll break. Probably scale effectiveness of breaking it towards axes and other non-piercing attacks.

Especially when they are hit with bigger weapons.

Knight 1269 3804
  • 5 May
 Frise

Buffing kick would negatively impact every other aspect of the combat. And any mechanic that nerfs shields via attrition will not solve the actual issue. Even if shield lasted for 5 hits, it'd be enough to completely deny someone until your teammate kills them.

4 1
  • 5 May

Arguably kick should be faster for lighter armored people as it is, it's a good interrupter if it wasn't so slow.

25 41
  • 5 May
 machinegod

Maybe we could have stamina drain on shield usage. And be able to drag around shields much easier.

62 29
  • 6 May
 Mechanicus

Honestly, shields are fine the way they are. They were this way in Chivalry and they really should be this way here.

53 77

I think shields would benefit from having a stamina penalty multiplier based on the number of hits they take in a short time. The multiplier should increase by 1x every time an attack is blocked in a short window.

As an example, blocking an incoming attack has a base stamina cost of 5. Blocking 2 hits in quick succession multiplies the stamina cost by 2. Blocking 3 hits multiplies by 3. Etc.

So for instance, if someone decides to turtle themselves into a corner and endlessly block attacks, it should take no more than 6 consecutive hits to deplete their stamina and force the shield to be dropped.

1 hit = 5 stamina cost
2 hits = 10 stamina cost
3 hits = 15 stamina cost
4 hits = 20 stamina cost
5 hits = 25 stamina cost
6 hits = 30 stamina cost

5 + 10 +15 + 20 + 25 + 30 = 105 = shield gets dropped

Obviously the numbers and multiplier can be tweaked, but the general idea is that continually blocking one hit after another should quickly drain your stamina if you don't make an effort to fight back.

1 1
  • 6 May
 Jorund

Shields are fine as they are, at most they slow down combat a bit which is hardly a bad thing in this caotic game.
And don't forget shield users sacrifice reach and damage potential compared to twohanders.

What could use a buff on the other hand is the regular parry, it really doesn't fit in groupfights with how long it takes between blocks.

9 2
 lotoria

Shields are suppose to be good at defense but not in terms of offense. so how about make player moves slower than walking backward when shield is up. In this case shield can't be used as an easy way to get close to attack non-shield player who usually carry two-handed weapons that have range advantage. With better control the range two-handed weapons should face less aggressive from shield and one-handed style players. This should make players with shields play more carefully when about to face multiple attackers

Also, I would like to mention that weapons in this game are only for play style, right? I notice that the cost points for weapons are actually highly based on their real world cost, but shouldn't they based on how powerful they are in game? Short spear or rapier with shields are probably the most effect builds right now , and they only costs 6 to 7 points. I am not saying they are overpower, but they are most effect without a doubt in terms of power and play skill requirement. A badass that with full heavy armor and big two-handed weapons could be cost 20 points, which is more than we currently have, isn't very powerful if you don't have some skill and experience. But they are cool and intimidating, players may like them.

41 55
  • 6 May
 cain

One thing I've noticed is that when a shield is up, the amount of protection they provide appears to be in a gigantic radius in front of the shield, rather than just being directly in front where you'd expect it. Attacking from the back still allows you to hit, obviously, but I've noticed attacks from the side which seem to be aimed at an un-shielded area end up getting blocked by the shield even though the character is essentially sideways. This is especially egregious with ranged weapons, in my experience.

1 0

Shields maybe have a slightly too large hitbox (I've blocked stuff I should not have been able to) and can easily avoid kicks. Buffing kicks would upset the balance elsewhere, better to have shields slow you down slightly while holding a block, maybe more stam drain if you just hold to block instead of 'parry' with it. Encourages people to time shield parries rather than just hold it up forever.

529 278

The stamina drain is only going to help you so much though, they will still be a pain in 1v1. You need a better way to counter it.

Knight 1269 3804
  • 7 May
 Frise

@Christian2222 said:
The stamina drain is only going to help you so much though, they will still be a pain in 1v1. You need a better way to counter it.

How do you manage to misunderstand everything so badly? It's the exact opposite, shields aren't an issue in 1v1, and stamina drain would nerf them only in 1v1. Jesus man. I'm astounded by your mental capacity.

9 3
 Valgys

I'd favor the use of certain blunt weapons bashing through a shield's "health." The bigger the shield the larger the health pool. The bigger the crushing weapon, the more it'd take away. With the 2 handed blunt weapons even taking a bit of health from the defender, from the shock loaded onto them. For example, a swing with the maul would deal 33% shield health plus 15 life and the eveningstar dealing 15% shield health and 5 life. Upon shield break, there's a stagger or knockdown on the defender (take your pick, they'd both look cool to see).

It'd force stabby players to keep needing to be sneaky with their weapons and kicks, slashing players to aim to break thru shield, and bashing players a scaling advantage based on the type of blunt weapon used. Almost a rock-paper-scissors type of effect, but each weapon type still has a chance to break through with enough skill and/or persistence.

I'd think it'd be pretty cool for the defender too to force them to mix it up with their weapon stances, where they're first using the shield in a defensive stance till it breaks, but then can switch quickly to a 2handed grip on their weapon to move to an offensive stance for example. That kind of duel would be cool to watch.

28 22

Please do NOT nerf the shield, because its difficult enough to fight 3 - 5 people at once in frontlines at any given point.

One just needs to go around a shield, dodge, or swing sideways around the shield and hit an opponent. Ive done it and its not difficult. It is even easier with lighter armor.

Please do not.
Again, do NOT nerf shield.

28 22

Shields should NOT be nerfed, because they ARE counter-able. heavy well placed kicks stagger the opponent just enough to land a head stab. More kicks, or mistakes by the opponent timing-wise can be beaten.

Moreover the War Axe, i think with double head, does a FINE job of eating through stamina.

Just because someone has a problem / Hasnt figured out how to counter a shield opponent, doesnt mean that the company
needs to cater to them and make a global nerf on the shield because they cant counter it.

Its this argument:
" I cant beat it, therefore, it should be weaker ". Thats not even logical.
The Shield still flies off when hit by a heavy weapon, What difference does it make if it breaks or flies.

Why break?
If its going to break, then i demand other weapons Break too. So if i use a ZWEI, I demand to break a rapier user.

See the logic makes no sense. i am STRONGLY opposed against any nerfs* on shields or weapons, except, and only - the Rapier.

It is Slightly op, with stabs, however, they too are counterable.

I am a ex chivalry player and i have seen what the community has done to chivalry. Please dont let it happen here too.
i have 1084 hours in Chivalry, and end in the top scoreboard, with almost every weapon, except heavies and bows.
and people will STILL COMPLAIN after years of nerfs and changes.

9 3
 Valgys

@NumidianPikeman said:
Shields should NOT be nerfed, because they ARE counter-able. heavy well placed kicks stagger the opponent just enough to land a head stab. More kicks, or mistakes by the opponent timing-wise can be beaten.

Moreover the War Axe, i think with double head, does a FINE job of eating through stamina.

Just because someone has a problem / Hasnt figured out how to counter a shield opponent, doesnt mean that the company
needs to cater to them and make a global nerf on the shield because they cant counter it.

Its this argument:
" I cant beat it, therefore, it should be weaker ". Thats not even logical.
The Shield still flies off when hit by a heavy weapon, What difference does it make if it breaks or flies.

Why break?
If its going to break, then i demand other weapons Break too. So if i use a ZWEI, I demand to break a rapier user.

See the logic makes no sense. i am STRONGLY opposed against any nerds on shields or weapons, except, and only - the Rapier.

It is Slightly op, with stabs, however, they too are counterable.

I am a ex chivalry player and i have seen what the community has done to chivalry. Please dont let it happen here too.
i have 1084 hours in Chivalry, and end in the top scoreboard, with almost every weapon, except heavies and bows.
and people will STILL COMPLAIN after years of nerfs and changes.

Oh interesting, I've never seen a shield fly off so I assumed they were basically glued onto a player's arm. If that's already a mechanic than I take back my shield health thing. I'm just interested in seeing cooler duels with people losing shields and having to switch stances.

But I still think weapons as a whole need more balancing. But that's another topic.

Duke 60 165
  • 7 May
 Lumi

Remove riposte when holding a shield, problem solved.

28 22

The war Axe specifically does a great job at eating up stamina.
I went against a opponent that was very good with War axe in a duel,
i lost my shield, and got killed.

But once i figured out his technique, in the second duel, i didnt allow his
usual "Stagger kick and axe stab" which is incredibly fast, to finish me, so i
managed to kill him.

And yes the shield flies off your hand when you hit 0 stamina. Then you're left
with your main weapon. If you block another hit without recovering stamina, you lose
that weapon too.

So i really see no problems with the shield, except people demanding that its stamina costs
are higher, which is ridiculous. Basically, to be blunt, requiring fewer shield blocks before it flies off,
its unthinkable and unfair.

Then again i could fight with 2 handers, but i prefer to be on a safer side, with shield and Bastard sword
with my own technique.