Mordhau

What do you find Strong and Weak?

39 45
  • 4 May
 RyMarq

Pretty straight-forward.

I find lighter armor to be weak, including peasants generally.
Bear-traps thankfully as well (do they disappear when you die or something?).
Most swords are pretty close, but maybe Estoc is a bit weak?
Leg armor feels a bit bad as well, maybe because every block magically protects the legs real well.

I find shields to be pretty strong (especially ones you can hold out), as well as rapiers and mauls.
Dodge perk is strong, but am glad to have it. Heavy armor likewise seems good, but I think its more that Light is bad than Heavy is that good.

What else are people finding good?

101 174
  • 4 May
 Sektor

rapier will get overhauled soon, the devs did not have time to do it for release. I expect shields to receive updates for balance because they are a plague in frontline currently. Light armor is not weak, the movement is faster and allows for good range play. also swords have fundamental differences between them with the exception of zweihander which is an axe, a maul, a spear and a sword all in one. i expect it to get nerfed. thank god people dont know how to drag in frontlines ahhahahha.

529 278

It bothers me that weapons like dagger have the same block radius as things like staff.... the block radius of dagger is probably bigger than the damn dagger. It should have a real small block radius.

1420 1499

@Sektor said:
Light armor is not weak, the movement is faster and allows for good range play

And then you instantly die to a stray projectile. Now you can walk faster away from spawn and can be the first to catch the bear traps.

101 174
  • 4 May
 Sektor

@SWSeriousMike said:

@Sektor said:

And then you instantly die to a stray projectile. Now you can walk faster away from spawn and can be the first to catch the bear traps.

You choose your armor and the risks wearing it. I can say the same about mauls to the face while wearing heavy. Each armor has uses. also projectiles are easy to kite.

12 8
  • 4 May
 ButcherGER

Light armor + Halberd/ Spear > Any heavy armor.

What I think is quite strong is the "bloodthirsty" perk in team-games. Just look for a lightly armored enemy in their horde and autoregenerate to full hp.

The crossbow feels pretty underwhelming imo. But then I wasn't in the alpha or beta to figure out whether it used to be OP.

1094 1726

Crossbow is underwhelming if your trying to be an actual archer. You will always get out shot by every other bow.

But it's got point and click, quickscope for close quarters base defense and, personally, I like to use it along side 1/3/2 war hammer/AS or short sword/targe for a hybrid melee/archery load out. Works with a team and I fire my shot before rushing in to the chaos.

21 11

Dagger can block 2-handed heavy weapon, that's just impossible. Shiet like this should get nerfed.

And Lute is god weapon.

529 278

@Mordhau_moments said:
Dagger can block 2-handed heavy weapon, that's just impossible. Shiet like this should get nerfed.

And Lute is god weapon.

Agreed, dagger block radius needs to be REALLY small.

39 45
  • 4 May
 RyMarq

@Sektor said:
rapier will get overhauled soon, the devs did not have time to do it for release. I expect shields to receive updates for balance because they are a plague in frontline currently. Light armor is not weak, the movement is faster and allows for good range play. also swords have fundamental differences between them with the exception of zweihander which is an axe, a maul, a spear and a sword all in one. i expect it to get nerfed. thank god people dont know how to drag in frontlines ahhahahha.

I understand how light (and no) armor is not strictly bad. I do not even exactly want to see it buffed, at least not in any straight-forward way.

I just can call what I see very obviously in combat though. Heavier armor is very powerful, and while zoning is useful, taking twice as many hits to die is generally better (even including points costs). I don't have a good solution for this, at best I might want to decrease delay before healing/stamina recovery slightly for light, and especially unarmored portions of the body. Maybe literally only giving the benefit if the portion is entirely unarmored.

Maybe increase the benefits of 'base' speed on the chasing effect you get when trying to rundown someone, so that light armor gets a bit more an edge in this specific mobility case (as heavy armor feels pretty close to be in practice because of the chasing bonus).

Ultimately, I think its fine that light armor is weak, but I still think it is. Peasants especially.

1094 1726

@Christian2222 said:

@Mordhau_moments said:

And Lute is god weapon.

Agreed, dagger block radius needs to be REALLY small.

Something we can finally agree on. 1h should have smaller parry sizes just like in Chivalry. Shields should be what makes 1h viable and serve as a direct upgrade to put them on par with 2h.

1h without shield should simply be your side arm and thus weaker than your main weapon. Being disarmed should put you in a weak spot, not a better spot because you now have unreadable morphs/feints, can gamble your weakened opponent and have a parry just as good as the Longsword you just lost.

Specifically, 2h can have parry size A which is the current parry box, medium sized 2-4pt 1h can have parry size B which can be weak to some really low leg hits but being moderate in difficulty to read and parry, and 1 pt 1h like dagger/cleaver can have parry size C which is very weak to leg hits, defending against being very difficult.

Switching to dagger because your opponent is weak should not give you the win because dagger is easier to land hits with and defends just as good as poleaxe or whatever. Switching to dagger because you just got disarmed should be very compromising, not certain victory because you now get to gamble.

82 89
 Xanith

At least from my limited experiences:
Spear with light armor footspeed and dodge perk and/or a shield is insane rn, both in 1v1 and team fights, you can literally kite entire teams and it does enough damage to 2-3 shot everyone with head stabs

Longsword is good but gr8sword feels like the same weapon but better in every way if you don't want any perks

Bardiche seems like the poleaxe but worse, and its R ability makes it even poopier

Edit: after playing around with it a lot more, I find the bardiche to be a pretty great weapon and its alt grip makes it insane in team fights, I'm pretty sure I've hit heavy helmets for a 50 with the alt grip overhead but don't quote me on that

Messer seems like poop

Estoc does indeed seem pretty meh, maybe make it into a bastard sword but keep the length and point cost?

m0l/executioner's sword seem really weak against good players and I don't see why they're not allowed to combo, it was fine in C:MW

The mordhau ability of most swords seems pretty weak, inversely the halfswording grip on the thicc swords is actually quite useful in tight spaces

1094 1726

It would make more sense for messer to be faster rather than draggy and have fast combos instead of being a copy/paste from chivalry with just as much floatiness. It's stabs are very weak despite having a sharp tip but this gets justified with super fast annoying stabs...

Why can't it just have ok stab speed with 4-5htk stab damage?

Overall the weapon should be a shorter longsword with better slash damage and weaker stab damage. But instead it's made to rewind time despite being a bastard sword. It just plays out all wrong and feels bad. Messer should be chopping up rats instead of knights but instead its only good against knights but is too slow to touch lighter load outs.

Conscript 294 345
  • 5 May
 Qwampa

Rapier and zweihander are a bit strong. Other weapons are fine.

529 278

I think I see people using pole-axe less than anything else.

1420 1499

@Sektor said:

You choose your armor and the risks wearing it. I can say the same about mauls to the face while wearing heavy. Each armor has uses. also projectiles are easy to kite.

That's besides to the point. Your range plays fall apart when you are shot by archers or followed by a train of shield users. In frontline 64 it's hard to find a place for light armor outside of archery and engineering.

12 6
  • 6 May
 Beffagorn

Most of the weapons i think are balanced, but there's a few exceptions.

Rapiers: I feel are about as fun to play against as getting stabbed by one IRL. it's just an unending chambering and morphing that most of the time goes nowhere. The amount of skill required to counter one is way higher than the one required to be effective with it. Any 2h weapon user has basically no chance whatsoever to win a fight against it, unless player skill heavily favors their side. Even then an okay rapier user will still have a good chance to win. The low 4 points cost makes it possible to wear decent armor and still have points to spend in perks, making the weapon incredibly versatile in any loadout and overall insanely powerful

Maul: I find it's a very, very niche, all or nothing weapon. I feel 7point for a weapon like that aren't worth it. I'd rather use an executioner sword which is sorta similiar and overall feels better.

Eveningstar: A more versatile and forgiving maul. It's not bad in any way, but it shouldn't cost that much. It's still pretty difficult to use compared to other weapons. It's one of the rarer weapon, even rarer are those that actually do well with it.

Poleaxe: By far and wide the rarest weapon. I've used it a lot and, honestly, i see why it's that difficult to find...it's just incredibly bad. It's slower, deals less damage and has less reach than most 2h/heavier weapons. Even the Executioner's Sword has more reach than it, the longsword has the same and let's not even compare it to the Estoc or a Billhook.

Any other weapon is straight up superior to it. 7points for that thing? No way.

1420 1499

You can pick a faster sidearm for 1 or 2 loadout points. It's your fault that you run around with slow-ass weapons only.

12 6

@SWSeriousMike said:
You can pick a faster sidearm for 1 or 2 loadout points. It's your fault that you run around with slow-ass weapons only.

So i have to lose even more armor/perks in my build when i could just use one of the medium-fast weapons and be decent at everything and have more of everything.

Sounds like a plan.

111 53
  • 6 May
 yvesgomes

@Sektor said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

@Sektor said:

Kiting projectiles? O_o