Mordhau

The poking has to stop!

3 5
  • 3 May
 Jaymo

i know i am not the only one that is getting annoyed with the constant poking, seams to be the only thing people do now. The worst part is weapons like the spear that can damage you even after the animation has gone past you and with the slightest flick of the mouse it can still class as a hit. and dont even get me started on the rapier.... that thing is to fast to even counter with riposte and a counter.

Both of these meed seriously looking at.

also i feel there should be a distance that the jab actually works for the spear, ie. if im up in your face with a mace you should not be able to jab me because the tip of the spear technically is already past me.

63 29
  • 4 May
 Crumly

You'll get better with practise! If players are stabbing too much go for the chamber, it's easy against stabs.

And what are you asking for with the spear? That if they stab with it but you are in front of them, up really close, that it just goes through you without damage? If you want to talk realism, you would not be able to run up that close to a guy with a spear.

Because it's a game, you only take damage from the spear if they actually use an attack. IRL, you would walk into the point whether they thrust it at you or not and you'd take damage. I could see if there was some game mechanic where you could knock long weapons to the side

11 14
  • 4 May
 JakBauer

I poke a lot because it helps avoiding hitting your team members

529 278

Yeah, getting sick of these rapier, messer stab spammers =/

6 0
 Hjryk4ne

huge flaws with players who know how to close the gap and fight toe to toe. long range weapons still hitting after blocking the charge in close quarters.

Mercenary 2187 3899

Rapier and stabs might seem too fast atm to must players, don't get me wrong they are fast as they are supposed to be. As you will have more hours in-game, easier you will find to counter them.

Enemy is only stab spamming without feints, morphs? Chamber them, stab chamber is so easy to do, practice the timing and boom they are dead.

Too much morph attacks ? Time your parties, hear your opponent and try to parry when enemy makes a Grunt noise. When they grunt, the attack is committed and can't be feinted/morph'd.

114 195

@EruTheTeapot said:
Rapier and stabs might seem too fast atm to must players, don't get me wrong they are fast as they are supposed to be. As you will have more hours in-game, easier you will find to counter them.

Enemy is only stab spamming without feints, morphs? Chamber them, stab chamber is so easy to do, practice the timing and boom they are dead.

Too much morph attacks ? Time your parties, hear your opponent and try to parry when enemy makes a Grunt noise. When they grunt, the attack is committed and can't be feinted/morph'd.

If you chamber a stab they chamber it back and you keep going until the end of time.

Conscript 294 345
  • 4 May
 Qwampa

If you chamber a stab they chamber it back and you keep going until the end of time.

You can morph your chamber into a slash

3 5
  • 4 May
 Jaymo

@Qwampa said:

yeah, but by the time you have swung for the slash the rapier has already stabbed you again.

41 128
  • 4 May
 KingOfSow

@Jaymo said:

@Qwampa said:

yeah, but by the time you have swung for the slash the rapier has already stabbed you again.

Not if you accel your attack. (Except maybe on the very slowest weapon)

Knight 2239 4025
 Runagate

Even with a slow weapon an accelerated chamber morph will easily be fast enough

Duke 754 1200
 Stumpy

Just gamble.
You need 1 gamble to make them aware of imminent death and they will go more defensive. That is when you start with your overhead to stab morph or undrerhand strike feints into slash, easier to fall for feints and morphs when you're dying and panicking.
Parry, if you manage to parry. Immediately do a feint. Dont do a riposte when you actually manage to parry out of luck. Thry will expect a riposte, so a riposte feint is the way to go. If they dont fall for that then kick them as fast as you can then strike.
If you see they often throw feints. Do chambers to counter it.

Knight 1383 3152

All you really need to do is gamble with the halberd (pictured)

What will you get this time?

An insta kill on someone in heavy armor?

A triple kill?

Complete miss of the 12 people you swing at?

A random fucking teamkill on an ally 10ft behind you?

A random fucking teamkill from across the map?

Randomly parried by seemingly fucking nothing?

Somehow hitting the fucking ground on a horizontal swing?

N O B O D Y K N O W S

101 174
  • 4 May
 Sektor

I agree, spears are out of hand. It initially was balanced in a very dumb way, cant see how this made it to release. on the other hand we almost never tested frontlines. Shields and spears need rebalance asap. Also archer limits, tyvm.

Duke 754 1200
  • 4 May
 Stumpy

Nobody ever used spears in alpha/beta.
Mostly because spear is not good in 1v1 which was usually the main mode people played with the occasional deathmatch but there you still used the same wep which you used when dueling.
Everyone knew how to chamber stabs and parry drags.

Now nobody knows how to chamber, and none know how to parry drags.
In addition, we have a 64 player mayhem of horses, archers, throwing axes, shieldhuggers and spearmen. Because stabbing is easier than controlling the 240 system for noobs.
Both spears and shields need a slight tweak.

Knight 1383 3152

hm yes, tweak the game balance around players who don't know how to play instead of providing more interactive content to teach the players about the game.

S E E M S L I K E A G O O D I D E A

it's not

Advanced tutorial where.
With no phase skipping.
And requiring the players to completely understand each phase. EG, kick shields when they're moving towards you, but don't do that while they're backing away.

Duke 754 1200
  • 4 May
 Stumpy

A more advanced tutorial would be nice, a real indepth one.

Knight 334 777

Yeah I have to politely disagree Tim. Because this isn’t a l2p issue this is an unhealthy meta issue.

When I say unhealthy I mean boring.

Even if all noobs learned how and when to kick shields that still doesn’t take away from the fact that their boring to play both as and against. Shields don’t need a tweak they need a complete rework so they take at least a gnomes IQ to use.

Forcing me to switch to a support weapon so I can stand around for days poking a blob of impenetrable wall just to be consistent till he stams out is not where this game should be. Have you played a SKM match yet when the whole opposing team is using shields? It’s bad dude.

I personally don’t have a problem with spears but I could have sworn I remember Crush saying something about tweaks to stabs ( Not on spear in particular, just generally) right before launch. Rapier is cancer and I’m glad noobs are crying about it because it’s BORING to play both as and against, once again.

Certain weapon stabs like rapier forces a chamber because if the guy isn’t a complete noob and uses feints that isn’t hard reading, it’s guessing games. I should have the option to hard read stabs and not be told “JUsT ChAMBEr nub L2p lUL”. That’s forcing me to play a certain way and it’s not right.

Knight 334 777

I want to use shields. I want them to be fun. We know changes can have unforeseen consequences but it’s all trial and error, if we are afraid of change that's not shooting for the stars.

We knew tweaks wouldn't stop after beta because that doesn't happen in any game, just because we are live that doesn't mean tweaks can't happen.

138 218
  • 4 May
 DylanS_98

Yeah it honestly is promoting some pretty brain dead builds like Blood Fury + Rapier or Short Spear and just thrusting non-stop. Saw a guy one match hit 80 - 10 on the scoreboard. When I told him how easy that must of been he just said 'No the people I killed are trash bins.'

Even though watching him fight, and fighting against him; all he did was thrust, chamber, and feint non-stop and when someone died to him his health shot right back up. I'm not saying destroy the usability of these weapons, and I have come to learn to counter them better, but they are pretty hard to play around sometimes given some people literally just scroll up until you are dead - or they are dead. Doesn't seem like a very good way to play the game.

People will see it, complain, and then just fall in line and do the same thing. Especially the shield + any thrusting weapon. Good luck chambering a decent player and actually hitting him by outskilling him (even though it usually is just chalked up to pure luck.)