Mordhau

Shields are retarded

Knight 1269 3804
  • 4 May
 Frise

@AJ93 said:
Maybe they should add 2h game mode only, so you all can play helicopters together ;)

Everyone here wants shields to be fun to play with and against, and to have a unique role in the game and an interesting way to be played, not the boring depth-less time waste that they are right now. I'm sure everybody here would love to see shields used in competitive play so that the meta is more varied and interesting, but in their current state, that will never happen. If you're not willing to have a mature discussion, just don't comment.

Knight 45 139
  • 4 May
 Wowzers

How about this: if you block an attack with a shield outside of what a normal parry window is then it works like a clash. So if your shield block is not timed correctly, you will still block the hit but both players would be able to immediately attack.

81 88
  • 4 May
 Xanith

nothing is more infuriating than having the upper hand in a 1vx and then some ape waddles up to you and just sits there and holds m2 and you cant do anything about it as you die while your wep bounces off his shield tbh

367 340
  • 4 May
 Peacerer

@Stumpy said:
Everytime i die in frontline, it's because im fighting 1 shield and 3 melees and 2 archers and 1 axe thrower.
Pulling off 1v8's against no shield or ranged backup is quite easy.

Bloody 2h elitists!

19 3
  • 4 May
 xFloshi

What is everyone talking about. Honestly, shields are perfectly fine it's a weapon. A hammer one shots you in the head and your trippin over something that blocks your attacks easily. Force them to block and kick get in their face side step stab. Shields are not overpowered. Practice more and you won't have a problem. Just like any game different weapons counter eachother. Stop complaining and figure it out. Pretty much any weapon that can be used with a shield is short ranged stay on the outside. Good luck.

Knight 917 2522
 Pred

It's adorable when people with 10 hours in the game say things like "shields are perfectly fine and easily counterable" lmao

6 0
  • 4 May
 Hjryk4ne

the ai has perfect timing, always

777 1029

@xFloshi said:
What is everyone talking about. Honestly, shields are perfectly fine it's a weapon. A hammer one shots you in the head and your trippin over something that blocks your attacks easily. Force them to block and kick get in their face side step stab. Shields are not overpowered. Practice more and you won't have a problem. Just like any game different weapons counter eachother. Stop complaining and figure it out. Pretty much any weapon that can be used with a shield is short ranged stay on the outside. Good luck.

I donno man, I think the shield user should have to know where my blade is in order to block it, but that's just me...

3 1

Ok trolling aside i would agree shields could use some tweaks

Slight increase in stamina drain for shield or slow drain from beginning the block i think would help alot,

i just really hope and dont want every other weapon being nonviable in competitive play

41 128
  • 4 May
 KingOfSow

Imo, just revert to patch 14 shields and keep them until a proper shield fix comes. Patch 14 were atleast a lot more fun than they currently are.

2 3

@AJ338a87e6dbe1480e said:
Ok trolling aside i would agree shields could use some tweaks

Slight increase in stamina drain for shield or slow drain from beginning the block i think would help alot,

i just really hope and dont want every other weapon being nonviable in competitive play

I think a slow drain on top of the blocking drain would be a solid idea.

1058 1696

Stam drain just makes shield useless against long pokey spammy weapons, against 1vX and it does NOTHING to affect a shield stopping all your attacks in FL. So shields are then very bad at dueling or any skill based fighting and are only good at sitting there and are still over powered when ganking.

Patch 14/15 reversion really is the best way to go.

22 15

I like shields. And I always play with it.
But I agree - it's surprised me how less counterable it compared to Chiv.

Let's count the ways it was countered there:

  • Stamina drain on block (the bigger weapon - the larger drain)
  • Kick stun if shield raised
  • Side drag stabs and overheads (think shield hitbox was smaller)

Not saying it should be copied.
But it feels like it does not require any effort to block now.

Would agree with this:

@smellycathawk said:
As long as its possible to drag around it when the user makes a bad mistake it'd be fine.
Currently you can drag a stab right into their side or even their back sometimes and it counts as a block. why?

414 418
 nohbdy

I've found that I can still stab drag around shields, but only if the shield user is a scrub, and honestly I'm not sure if that fact would change if you reduced the shield's hitbox. Back in the Chivalry days I played competitively with a team mate, Johnthebaptist, who played shield knight even when it was a very uncommon choice, particularly in teams due to the lacking reach of the one handers he had to use. Anyways, dueling against this guy was virtually impossible. Anyone decent will easily be able to deal with stab drags, waterfalls, kick stuns, and such unless you make the shield block's hitbox absurdly tiny, like a tiny fraction of the shield's model, so unless you want to give shield blocks a bullshit hitbox that'll probably make no one want to play shield due to how nonsensically tiny it would be, the only way to beat a shield user will still be to surround them 1vX and hit them in the back as it is now and as it was in Chivalry. A complete mechanical overhaul of shields is likely necessary if we want to make them both fun to play with and against.

Duke 754 1200
  • 4 May
 Stumpy

I saw a dude get surrounded by me and 4 else. All he did was crouch, look straight up so his shield was horizontal, and spin around. He survived for atleast 6 seconds...
you couldnt stab under his shield because sword caught the edges. But now that i think about it i should of just kicked him but eh.. point is, shield kinda broken

777 1029

@nohbdy said:
I've found that I can still stab drag around shields, but only if the shield user is a scrub, and honestly I'm not sure if that fact would change if you reduced the shield's hitbox. Back in the Chivalry days I played competitively with a team mate, Johnthebaptist, who played shield knight even when it was a very uncommon choice, particularly in teams due to the lacking reach of the one handers he had to use. Anyways, dueling against this guy was virtually impossible. Anyone decent will easily be able to deal with stab drags, waterfalls, kick stuns, and such unless you make the shield block's hitbox absurdly tiny, like a tiny fraction of the shield's model, so unless you want to give shield blocks a bullshit hitbox that'll probably make no one want to play shield due to how nonsensically tiny it would be, the only way to beat a shield user will still be to surround them 1vX and hit them in the back as it is now and as it was in Chivalry. A complete mechanical overhaul of shields is likely necessary if we want to make them both fun to play with and against.

Assuming a major overhaul is months away i would rather have the hitbox reduced sooner than later so it's less of a shock to the nubs becoming reliant on 'ez mode shield' when it hopefully goes away...

Also someone who practiced with the shield a lot and became very good at turning and looking at their ass in the right spot after reading the z stab in chiv is a totally different thing than scrubs not even trying to read anything i do cause they don't have to and they've realized it.

Even just letting us jump kick would help slightly. Jumping at the right moments and mixing it up with random feints, kicks, and attacks can fool even the best shield user when done well. Stationary kick is so bad basically anybody can avoid it once they've been kicked a few times.

210 197
  • 4 May
 recurf

I agree, shields are a big problem right now.
I think the solution in my opinion is: Heavy weapons such as Greataxes, Poleaxes, Hammers and Greatswords should stagger shield users if they land a full swing (not thrust) onto the shield. This stagger would then allow your team to follow up and kill the person or knock the shield out of their hands.

Currently 1 guy with Heater or Kite-shield can just hold right click and block 5 people at once, this seems broken. I think the Targe and Buckler are fine as they are however.

Knight 52 64
  • 4 May
 fmay2123

How about decreasing the backpedal speed of a shield user while the block is held up? This stops them from avoiding kicks and attacks at the same time and also encourages them to time their blocks more. I don't know how it would affect 1vx, but it would make it easier to punish people for holding their shields up for a prolonged period of time.

1339 1394

@recurf said:
I think the solution in my opinion is: Heavy weapons such as Greataxes, Poleaxes, Hammers and Greatswords should stagger shield users if they land a full swing (not thrust) onto the shield. This stagger would then allow your team to follow up and kill the person or knock the shield out of their hands.

So you are automatically dead when someone with a heavy weapon attacks you?

101 171
  • 4 May
 Sektor

The problem with shields are not exclusively to shields. Its the combination of them with certain weapons. Short spear, Rapier, Bastard sword. All are cancer to play against, each of them for different reasons but all of them share insane swing/stab speed. Shields themselves should be able to be destroyed by axes or receive increased stamina penalty with each hit leading to a stun when destroyed fully.