Mordhau

To The Alpha Testers

13 5
  • 2 May
 CULTure

I've been playing since open launch, and my question is directed to alpha players only. With all the new players, and specifically the ones bringing the chivalry playstyle I find it frustrating. If I wanted to fight a dude flailing about, well I would've played chivalry. From watching alpha footage it doesnt look like thats the optimal playstyle. I would assume that alpha players know what they're doing and even assume that they were former chiv players. My question, is the optimal playstyle the same as chiv? Are all of these Chivalry vets going to get a rude awakening, or will they continue to dominate?

Count 171 246

You have to play with chambers/morphs/feints/drags when facing an experienced opponents otherwise you won't go far.
Target switching is vital when facing multiple foes coming at you.

Other than that you won't see belly dancers vanguard 360 noscope like in Chiv. The fights tend to be much less goofy.

13 5
  • 2 May
 CULTure

I understand the chambers/morphs/ect. and thats okay. There are just some very strange movements some of these chiv players are using. And for a noob I am not bad (Purely speculation, considering I usually do pretty well.)

Count 171 246

@CULTure said:
I understand the chambers/morphs/ect. and thats okay. There are just some very strange movements some of these chiv players are using. And for a noob I am not bad (Purely speculation, considering I usually do pretty well.)

What type of attack are you referring to as "strange movements" ? Are you talking about drags (delaying attacks to throw off someone's parry)

13 5
  • 2 May
 CULTure

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:

@CULTure said:

What type of attack are you referring to as "strange movements" ? Are you talking about drags (delaying attacks to throw off someone's parry)

Re** Movement. I cant describe it any other way. NOT what I've seen from typical alpha players. And no, not drags. Although, some of those can be pretty wonky as well.

Knight 211 506
  • 2 May
 Duckalot

I can easily tell when im up against a chiv player. They tend to spazz out and move extremely janky. Its not the meta and it can be punished. Although i understand that they can get away with it right now with so many new to the genre.
In Mordhau, smooth mouse movements is better than the janky stuff chiv has.

Count 171 246

@CULTure said:

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:

@CULTure said:

Re** Movement. I cant describe it any other way. NOT what I've seen from typical alpha players. And no, not drags. Although, some of those can be pretty wonky as well.

Mmmh I’m sorry I don’t see what you mean. Haven’t seen weirdass shit until now.

13 5
  • 2 May
 CULTure

@Duckalot said:
I can easily tell when im up against a chiv player. They tend to spazz out and move extremely janky. Its not the meta and it can be punished. Although i understand that they can get away with it right now with so many new to the genre.
In Mordhau, smooth mouse movements is better than the janky stuff chiv has.

Thank you. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.

96 128
  • 2 May
 Reapy

I didn't play all through the alpha, just right at the start and right at the end. One thing I did notice was that some of the stand out players when I started were playing very chivalry, wiggles, jumping, trying to hit you over the back, looking at weird angles, spinning etc. When I played just before release I didn't really see any of that stuff, just really good blade movement within the mechanics to be tricky that way.

13 5
  • 2 May
 CULTure

@Reapy said:
I didn't play all through the alpha, just right at the start and right at the end. One thing I did notice was that some of the stand out players when I started were playing very chivalry, wiggles, jumping, trying to hit you over the back, looking at weird angles, spinning etc. When I played just before release I didn't really see any of that stuff, just really good blade movement within the mechanics to be tricky that way.

Awesome. So instead of learning the "Chiv" way. I shouldnt really try and replicate what I see from them.

13 5
  • 2 May
 CULTure

Also, what do you do about morph spam? Can you do anything other than "Wait till the last second"? Feint are easy because you can chamber to counter, but morphs happen too quick. Is there a way to punish it offensively?

Count 171 246

@CULTure said:
Also, what do you do about morph spam? Can you do anything other than "Wait till the last second"? Feint are easy because you can chamber to counter, but morphs happen too quick. Is there a way to punish it offensively?

By punishing offensively you’d have to gamble imo especially with slow weapons, to avoid it focus on the fact if the guy he’s making a grunt or not. It’s a lil cue on Mordhau to tell you that the attack is fully committed and can’t be feinted/morphed

20 15
  • 3 May
 Irish_King

Don't play this game based on your Chiv skills, dragging is about the only thing you could bring across.

101 171
  • 3 May
 Sektor

useful chivalry things to learn: dragging, camera movement
useful warband things to learn: movement and footwork exposing enemy's delayed animations to accel

target switching has been very efficient in both games, cant be as fast as it was in warband due to animation windups but yeh you get the idea

13 5
  • 3 May
 CULTure

Awesome, thank you guys. From what I've experienced, the chiv playstyle ( If "Meta" ) would've made me give up on the game unfortunately. As for the morphs, I didnt even notice the grunt. You guys have been awesome.