Mordhau

Dedicated Server Requirements

3 0
  • 2 May '19
 Topsat

Hello guys,

I find anything about server specs (processor, ram, bandwith...) needed to host 16 / 32 / 64 slots servers ..

Someone have details ?

2 0
  • 2 May '19
 LoneUmbreon

Hello Topsat,

Not sure if i can help much but I am running the server on a old lenovo ts140 tower server I seem to be able to run everything fine but frontline. The main thing I am running into is I start running into issues once the server is full and people want to join it starts to shudder and give everyone high ping.

Specs on my server,
Xeon R E3-1225 v3 @ 3.2Ghz
16 GB Ram
1 gb of bandwidth Duplex

Not sure if the shudder is something spec related or server package related but just wanted to give you a some kind of response since i am also in search of this information as well.

21 10
  • 3 May '19
 Kaervan

Hi!

I'm running a 32 player server, and am not going higher because of the usage I'm seeing and the system I'm running on. Hopefully some details on my setup can help you out. I'm about to set telegraf up and push server stats into a grafana instance, so I can share that later when I have some numbers too. If anyone has some rough numbers on running a 64 player, would be interested in hearing.

I'm running in a VM on a VMWare ESXi system, the specs for the VM are as follows:

2 vCPUs (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1541 @ 2.10GHz) with no overcommit, so they have dedicated cores.
4GB Mem
40GB HD (virtual disk is on a samsung PCIE m.2 drive - super fast)
This is running at my house where my internet connection is 1gbit down and 45mbit up

CPU usage

Originally, I was running 4 CPUs, but the server was barely using 3 of the cores. Reducing to 2 cores, players report no difference in performance, even running 60 tickrate. When the server is full and people are murdering, one core will run up 65-75% of one core, and the other core will bounce around between 10 and 30%.

Memory Usage
I deployed from a template that hd 16GB memory assigned to it, but the VM was only using ~1.2GB, so I reduced to 4gb to leave some room for file caching. At 4gb, the server VM has not used any swap space.

Storage
The m.2 drive is super overkill. Server map changes finish in ~2 seconds tops. A regular sata SSD would likely see similar performance.

Network usage
The absolute highest I ever saw the server get for 32 players was about 6.5mbits upstream and 8mbits downstream.

Afterthoughts

I toyed with building a cheap intel i5-9600 system to get to 64 players because I'm pretty sure I'm CPU bound to around 40 players on my 2.1Ghz xeon. The 9600 runs up 4-ish Ghz, and the system would cost ~600 to build from nothing.

For those player counts, some ballpark specs that should do what you want would be:

16 Players

CPU: 2 or more cores @ 1.8ghz or higher
Mem: 2GB
Disk: Doesn't matter, whatever has capacity
Bandwidth: 5mbit down, 3 mbit up

32 Players

CPU: 2 or more cores @ 2ghz or higher
Mem: 3GB
Disk: Doesn't matter
Bandwidth: 8bmit down, 7mbit up

64 players

CPU: 2 or more cores @ 4ghz or higher (fairly confident)
Mem: 4GB (Guessing here)
Disk: doesn't matter
Bandwidth: 15mbit down, 10mbit up (maybe +2-3 for each)

988 6971
  • 3 May '19
 marox — Project Lead

You only need a single core for the server, we run 4x64p on E3-1270 v6 machines.

21 10
  • 3 May '19
 Kaervan

Thanks for the confirmation marox. There are threads here and there asking about running multiple servers on one host. I had suggested they try changing the queryport, but they say it doesn't work. For the official servers, are you using different ports on the same address, or assigning VIPs to an interface and binding the additional servers to those addresses somehow?

4 1
  • 3 May '19
 ExCTyrdlu

HI !
My 22 slot server running on OVH VPS SSD 1. We don't any problem with overload or stability.

367 341
  • 3 May '19
 Peacerer

@marox said:
You only need a single core for the server, we run 4x64p on E3-1270 v6 machines.

No wonder it runs like crap.

21 10
  • 3 May '19
 Kaervan

@Peacerer said:

@marox said:

No wonder it runs like crap.

I don't understand how you're under the impression that the dedicated server runs like crap. The server is unreal engine, which is long known for only needing one core and the speed of the core being mostly the only thing affecting how many players it can support. If your client experience is poor, you should look into things that are more in your control. Rendering and compute performances are reliant on your system specs and graphics settings. network performance and latency are dependent on the distance to the server you play on, the load on your router, your connection to your router (wifi vs wired, and any switch load in between), as well as the available bandwidth for your internet connection.

Maybe to address the issues you see, you should start a post about it seeking assistance rather than flaming a likely unrelated thread.

18 4

Having hosted several conan exiles servers , and hosting right now 7 Mordhau servers , i can definetely say for sure NO UE4 doesn't use only one core... Yes it uses mostly one core for the physics calculations , but it offloads to other core some network tasks. So one server instance is gonna use 1 core and like 10 % of the other 7 cores if you have an 8 core.
On a xeon 1245v3 https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/5622/IntelR-XeonR-CPU-E3-1245-V2---340GHz i started getting lag spikes after the fifth server instance . So i migrated my server to a 9900k on where i can expect hosting from 12 to 15 mordhau server if i want.
I currently host 2 64p frontline servers a 64p Skirmish server, a 64p FFA server , a 64p Team Death Match server and two 16p Hordes servers. What is gonna matter the most is single core power and the fact that you have on average 2 servers for 3 core or 3 server for 4 core which is around 66% to 75% ratio of server/core

3 2
  • 10 May '19
 skyp

Can one server use more than one core?
Currently, my 64 slot servers running on 4.3ghz, is using 100% of a thread? It's not using the full core? Can i use more than one thread or even better, more than one core? Players are complaining of lag spikes are 64 players.

https://gyazo.com/99bcfa4f839c6bd41354f2ef8674de65

Thanks!

3 2
  • 10 May '19
 skyp

My above gyazo shows my 4 core (8 threads) cpu @ 4.3ghz
Mordhau using 100% of only one thread and not the full 2 threads (1core)
How to allow it use more?

Thankss

11 0
  • 20 May '19
 Rkillah

Hi I have created this for windows servers as a temporary fix until they fix it themselves quickly swap gamemodes and default start map other than the pit and deathmatch as it does at present.
This will allow you to change anything in the DefaultEngine.ini so youcan have different settings for each game mode.

on Mordhau.com RKillahsGamemodeSelector_V2.zip
or
on steam RKillahsGamemodeSelector_V2.zip
later
RK