Mordhau

3rd person vs 1st Person

11 14
  • 2 May
 JakBauer

What is your preference for this game?

1 2

I perfer 1st person view but since 3rd is overpowered for some reasons I've to adapt and get used to 3rd eventhough it's not as fun as 1st

Count 131 219
  • 10 May
 Pariah

1st will most likely be the standard for competitive play, same as it was in Chiv.

109 165
  • 11 May
 Speak

Third's non-centered cam is annoying in a mostly theoretical way (you have more view to the right than to the left, especially for looking around corners). Third's view of your own character is fun if you've put effort into your customization. Third makes accels comfier imo (since you can see your weapon through the whole swing). Third, of course, gives you a clearer view of what people next to you are doing.

First gives you a more immediate view of what the person in front of you is doing so it's probably(?) easier to read what the-person-you're-dueling is doing in first person. Except when you're acceling and therefore facing away from them...

It may also be easier to aim for headshots in first person, although it doesn't feel bad in third that I've been able to tell.

(Third's also clearly better for catapult, and I'd say first is clearly better for archery. Both seem alright for horse?)

I'm not sure which I prefer in general. I've been kind of switching between them (with the camera switch bound to a mouse button for ease of use). From some rancor I've seen on these forums and, uh, 4chan (rancor city), I feel like I'm supposed to feel bad if I use third person? I like the better accel control of third person. It's like better "full-body awareness", which seems important in a game where you're flailing a weapon around and not just shooting bullets out of your eyes.

I wonder if first or third is better for matrixing. Neither camera feels like it gives me a clear sense of how far I'm leaning (which I think is just sort of a limitation of viewing 3D graphics on single 2D screen...)

Note: With the FOV slider at max, first and third seem like they have pretty much the same edges of view to the left and right, but of course third also has better view of what's right next to you. Although just as a situational note, first person is better if you're going through a door (since third person's camera will be behind the door while you're already through the door, so you'll actually have less view of what's around you on the other side of the door.)

529 278

Everyone says 3rd person is OP even though you can read people better in 1rst, and your projectiles actually go where you are aiming XD.

90% of players saying 3rd person, and horses are OP, and don't use 3rd person, or horses XD. Fucking riot man.

Knight 60 70
  • 11 May
 Bear264

1st person all the way. 3rd person is for ninnies!

109 165
  • 11 May
 Speak

@Speak said:
I feel like I'm supposed to feel bad if I use third person?

@Bear264 said:
1st person all the way. 3rd person is for ninnies!

See? 👀

210 197
  • 11 May
 recurf

I prefer first, it way easier to see the other persons weapon

777 1029

I use first until I want to win

Mercenary 21 50
  • 11 May
 Beedrill

Yea first person is way better than third just bcus you can read better, try reading a lower strike thats being hidden not only by the enemy's dude body but also your own.

It's nice to have it bound to peek around corners tho but that's abt it.

7 3

3th is kinda weird compared to Chiv, so weird that I unbind it

11 8
  • 11 May
 ButcherGER

1st person. You are missing out on so much when going 3rd person. It's way more intense.

9 20
  • 11 May
 Timur

Third Person in most games gives you a wider FOV but this is not the case in Mordhau. Infact your FOV is technically less because your body takes up a lot of the screen. I don't see how someone could play in third person, you don't get to see enough of your character to enjoy the customization and you are constantly unable to see enemies who are hidden behind your body.

104 70
  • 11 May
 urm

In this game 1st person is far superior. Playing in 3rd person covers a really important part of your screen. This is especially bad if your opponent knows you are playing in third person, which allows them to hide their weapon behind your model and attack you while you are literally incapable of reading their attacks. But even if they don't, it can happen accidentally in close range encounters.
3rd person is OP in shooters for very different reasons, mostly that you can look around corners. This is mostly irrelevant in Mordhau, and the way 3rd person is done minimizes this effect anyway.

13 4
  • 16 May
 Caliko

It's a preference thing ultimately. Playing 1st or 3rd person won't make you a superior or inferior player in any way. Just go with what you are more comfortable with. The only thing 3rd person provides is the option to peek around corners. Albeit, any competent first person player can easily and quickly do this by changing the default perspective key (P) to something closer to WASD, so technically it's not even an exclusive advantage. Developers did a great job balancing 3rd person view in this game and there is little to no reason to exclude 3rd person players from ranked mode.

Knight 61 42
  • 16 May
 Optimates

The problem with third person in mordhau isn't what you can't see, it's the additional things you can see.

When looking completely up in the air or down at the ground, you can still see your opponent, in plain sight. This encourages a lot of what i like to call 'vertical flailing' in an attempt to take Z axis stab drags to points of literal stupidity where in the first frame you're stabbing into the air and the next you're stabbing into the ground, with no risk of being chambered, kicked or gambled, since you aren't comprising your field of view. It's pretty much bordering on exploit tier.

104 70
  • 16 May
 urm

@Optimates said:
The problem with third person in mordhau isn't what you can't see, it's the additional things you can see.

When looking completely up in the air or down at the ground, you can still see your opponent, in plain sight. This encourages a lot of what i like to call 'vertical flailing' in an attempt to take Z axis stab drags to points of literal stupidity where in the first frame you're stabbing into the air and the next you're stabbing into the ground, with no risk of being chambered, kicked or gambled, since you aren't comprising your field of view. It's pretty much bordering on exploit tier.

Good luck reading right stab morphs in close range then :P

31 32
  • 16 May
 Saoirse

First person for duels and smaller encounters, but if I get a few people trying to get around me I switch to third so I can see their attacks.

13 4
  • 16 May
 Caliko

@Optimates said:

I'm not sure what FOV you are playing, or when the last time you tried 3rd person cam is, but I can still see my opponent in front of me nearly equally as 3rd person view while looking down or up. It also seems like you haven't considered that your character model in 3rd person takes a fair portion of screen real estate when looking straight up, so your target can be obscured by your own body. 'Vertical flailing' as you would call it is just a plain bad strategy and anyone who relies on it to win is going to get bodied by any decent player. Your vision is still greatly obscured if you look straight up or down in 3rd person. You can see enough to deploy the same exact strategy in first person if that is what you desire. This is barely a 3rd person only exploit. Good luck with your first person only server when the switch becomes available.

529 278

3rd person keeps fucking me up, things are are farther away than they seem, and keep swinging over peoples heads.
I don't want to hear all of this shit about 3rd person is op :P it's not. You can actually see wtf is going on in 1rst person. 1rst person only players would be missing their attacks all the time in 3rd person.