Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Stuttering and Freezing Issues

1 0
  • 14 Jun '19
 SugarRay

I've the same issue, sometimes its better sometimes not. I'm realy tried all the possible solution which were given here or i was able to figure it out myself. Nothing helped at all. I would be happy to be able to play even one map without this sound crackling and freezing or stuttering randomly. ;(

274 322
  • 15 Jun '19
 DrGert

Turning FXAA off stopped my video and audio stuttering entirely. Clearing up space on my hardrive also helped a lot with this.

As far as FPS goes, turning off things like head bob, motion blur, setting view distance to low and going in the games .ini file to turn shadows down to zero keeps my FPS stable.

214 179
  • 15 Jun '19
 Dialectic

I was getting stutters or general FPS drops. I can't tell exactly the culprit. I mean my assumption is its the crap video card. If I set my FPS limit to 90 I could walk around in Frontline at 90, but any combat would drop me to 45 immediately. But also while at 45 or 50 frames I would see slight stutters or freezes. Setting limit to 75 improved it a bit. Anyways using the settings guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1745996431 along with capping my FPS at 50 has resulted in the most stable FPS rate I've had so far. However I do still see jumps between 40-50 in Frontline combat. I'll list my rig and my settings:

i7-4790S 3.2ghz
16 gb RAM
GTX 1050 Ti (driver version 430.86 release date 05/27/19)

Head bob: 0
Ragdoll limit: 3
Ragdoll Stay time: 3
Resolution: 1920x1080 16:9
Resolution Scale: 1.00
Window mode: Full screen
Frame Rate Limit: 50
Vertical Sync: Off (VSYNC also disabled in the Nvidia control panel)
Field of View: 90
Anti Aliasing: FXAA
Texture Quality: High
Effects Quality: Low
Shadow Quality: High
Indirect Shadows: Off
View Distance: Low
Post Process: Low
Foliage Density: Low
Character Quality: Low
Cloth: No Cloth
Ragdoll Quality: Low (sadface)
Screen Space Reflections: Off
Bloom: 0.00
Motion Blue: 0.00
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Lens Flares: Off

I'm not sure if I should be able to get a stable 60 frames or not with the 1050 Ti.

214 179
  • 15 Jun '19
 Dialectic

Poster above me suggested turning FXAA off, so I did that just now and played a match on Camp. First at 60 fps lock and I couldn't hold 60 at all. Dropped the lock to 50 and I held it for the most part, but still in any combat I would drop to 43ish. Couple times it skipped hard down to 24.

Again, I'm not good with this stuff. No idea why its doing this. I assume video card.

274 322
  • 15 Jun '19
 DrGert

@Dialectic said:
Poster above me suggested turning FXAA off, so I did that just now and played a match on Camp. First at 60 fps lock and I couldn't hold 60 at all. Dropped the lock to 50 and I held it for the most part, but still in any combat I would drop to 43ish. Couple times it skipped hard down to 24.

Again, I'm not good with this stuff. No idea why its doing this. I assume video card.

Turning off fxaa didn’t stabilize my FPS either but it did eliminate all of the visual and audio stuttering that I was getting in frontline.

My FPS is still not entirely stable but adjusting certain settings in game, in the games .ini file and in the games properties definitely helped with FPS drops. They still happen occasionally but I hardly notice them anymore.

214 179
  • 16 Jun '19
 Dialectic

Saw another suggestion to turn off the Real-time Protection setting under Windows Defender (Windows 10 Home). Did not cure the FPS drops.

This isn't stuttering like the other video I saw somewhere on this forum where it was so laggy it was unplayable. These FPS drops are happening mainly in combat during weapon swings, or just before I'm hit, which obviously totally fucks with parrying.

Can't keep stabilized at 50. Always fluctuating between 40-50.

My ASSUMPTION is its the shit-tier 1050 Ti. So I'm looking at getting a RTX 2080 real soon.

21 9
  • 17 Jun '19
 qbmax

Screenshot (146).png

This is completely unacceptable and should not be the case. Not only does frontline run like complete liquid shit for me and many other players, but it's also near impossible to find a server under 90 ping regardless (not like it'll matter anyway because the pings listed on the browser are just wrong). I have no idea how you guys manage to make this game run worse and worse every patch but you do.

I'm putting this game down for now until it actually gets made playable. Alienating a good portion of your player base because you'd rather throw in some maps and weapons instead of actually making the game playable is hilarious. Hopefully, patch 8 will actually improve performance this time instead of making it even worse but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I have no idea how a game can go down the drain this quickly with its performance. Literally a month ago I was running mordhau on High settings with 80 fps, now on LOW settings, I'm lucky to break 60 on most maps. Fix the game, please.

214 179
  • 18 Jun '19
 Dialectic

Not sure if this helps the devs or anyone, but I figured some more info couldn't hurt. If you're on windows 10, open up the Task Manager and click the performance tab. It actively monitors CPU, Memory, Disk, Ethernet, and GPU usage. Do this while you're in a match of Frontline.

My rig, again, is i7-4790S 3.2ghz, 16 gb RAM, GTX 1050 Ti

While I monitored my the matches I played, I noticed my CPU usage was only at 42% pretty steadily. Dunno if that's good or bad. I assume good. I noticed that Memory stayed almost completely at 8gb in use, so if anyone is having issues and they ONLY have 8gb ram, I'd bet you need more memory. The minimum RAM reqs should be increased to 16gb, with recommended at 32 probably. The Ethernet spiked up and down up and down, I dunno how to read that shit. I did note that most of the biggest stutters occur on my first Frontline match after turning the game on. This suggests to me that the stutter, framedrop issue is memory related as the game seems to struggle putting stuff into memory quickly. But I don't know. Also I would get huge stutters dropping from 50 fps to 30 SOMETIMES near fire bombs and other times not, and SOMETIMES when a horse rider would swing at me. Finally, GPU usage was around 50%.

214 179
  • 20 Jun '19
 Dialectic

Bump. Ordered RTX 2080. Will give an update on FPS stability this weekend.

1 0
  • 21 Jun '19
 GoodEvening

I got the game May 27th and after lowering the graphic settings to all med and turning off the annoying stuff like motion blur my game consistently held 65-80fps no matter how much action. But after the most recent update GeForce experience re-"optimized" the graphic settings. I reverted all of them but was now having massive stuttering and frame drops. This caused me to stop playing the game for a week. Today I wanted to play again and for the most part in duel servers it was perfectly smooth expect for when more advanced attacks were preformed by me or against me. In frontline it was completely unplayable, Every swing or arrow shot near me would drop me down to less than 20fps or even freeze my game for over a second. I wish I new why this started happening so I could enjoy the game.
Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
8gb ram
1060 3gb
Also the game is installed on a ssd, all drivers are up to date and nothing is open in the background besides discord.

214 179
  • 21 Jun '19
 Dialectic

I tested my system usage while in game and it showed a near constant use of 8gb of ram, so part of the problem you're having is the additional info in the patch is maxing out your computer (guessing). Increasing your ram to 16gb might help.

A lot of people have complained of performance issues after the patch and we all seem to be running older equipment, either older vid cards, less ram, or bad cpus.

4 4
  • 3 Sep '19
 clankill3r

It's almost September and still no fix. I tried all the things in this topic and it is still unplayable.
Please add a profiler so we can actually tackle the problem instead of guessing.

I do know gpu usages is always around 99.9% I have never seen this in a game before.

1 0
  • 4 Sep '19
 shithead

Having the same problem. Has been happening for a while now, though I can't remember it stuttering like this when i played months ago. I don't know when it started as I took a couple month hiatus from playing during June-July.

Setting all the video settings to the minimum and completely disabling ragdolls does not help at all. It freezes for 1, sometimes 2 seconds at unpredictable moments, the same as when I have all the settings set to maximum. It seems to happen frequently during combat/rapid movement which is obviously a huge problem. And I could be wrong about this, but it also seems to stutter sometimes when people join the server.

Here are my specs:

CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
LG Ultra HD ([email protected])
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA)

160 90
  • 4 Sep '19

@shithead said:
Having the same problem. Has been happening for a while now, though I can't remember it stuttering like this when i played months ago. I don't know when it started as I took a couple month hiatus from playing during June-July.

Setting all the video settings to the minimum and completely disabling ragdolls does not help at all. It freezes for 1, sometimes 2 seconds at unpredictable moments, the same as when I have all the settings set to maximum. It seems to happen frequently during combat/rapid movement which is obviously a huge problem. And I could be wrong about this, but it also seems to stutter sometimes when people join the server.

Here are my specs:

CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
LG Ultra HD ([email protected])
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA)

Maybe check if windows is updating in the background? I had the same problem and setting background windows update bandwidth to minimum stopped the stuttering. From my experience its not a problem with the game and graphics settings don’t make a difference but maybe something changed for you after the mordhau updates.

160 90
  • 4 Sep '19

@Dialectic said:
I was getting stutters or general FPS drops. I can't tell exactly the culprit. I mean my assumption is its the crap video card. If I set my FPS limit to 90 I could walk around in Frontline at 90, but any combat would drop me to 45 immediately. But also while at 45 or 50 frames I would see slight stutters or freezes. Setting limit to 75 improved it a bit. Anyways using the settings guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1745996431 along with capping my FPS at 50 has resulted in the most stable FPS rate I've had so far. However I do still see jumps between 40-50 in Frontline combat. I'll list my rig and my settings:

i7-4790S 3.2ghz
16 gb RAM
GTX 1050 Ti (driver version 430.86 release date 05/27/19)

Head bob: 0
Ragdoll limit: 3
Ragdoll Stay time: 3
Resolution: 1920x1080 16:9
Resolution Scale: 1.00
Window mode: Full screen
Frame Rate Limit: 50
Vertical Sync: Off (VSYNC also disabled in the Nvidia control panel)
Field of View: 90
Anti Aliasing: FXAA
Texture Quality: High
Effects Quality: Low
Shadow Quality: High
Indirect Shadows: Off
View Distance: Low
Post Process: Low
Foliage Density: Low
Character Quality: Low
Cloth: No Cloth
Ragdoll Quality: Low (sadface)
Screen Space Reflections: Off
Bloom: 0.00
Motion Blue: 0.00
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Lens Flares: Off

I'm not sure if I should be able to get a stable 60 frames or not with the 1050 Ti.

I have 1050 2 vram and I need low textures on bigger maps, and 720p when in 64 player frontline. But you have more RAM and probably more VRAM than me so maybe you should just tone down shadow quality and texture a bit since those two I’ve heard are especially taxing on your computer. How much VRAM do you have. Especially in frontlines you shouldn’t run high settings unless you have over 5gb VRAM.

160 90
  • 4 Sep '19

Nvm, just read that you ordered a new graphics card. Hopefully others can find my post useful.

2 1
  • 8 Sep '19
 SPOCK5

I am also having similar issues. I started playing again shortly after Windows installed an update on my computer. I've tried turning off cloth and ragdolls, turning off special effects sound, putting the game on an ssd, and changing the windows background bandwith settings. None of it has worked. Here are my specs:

i7-6700k @4GHz
16 GB ram
GTX 1070 with most recent drivers

2 0
  • 13 Sep '19
 khseal

I have the same problems.
After the latest patches on a another weak computer, it became impossible to play.
Very poor game optimization = (

2 0
  • 27 Sep '19
 DaddyPeaches

@SPOCK5 said:
I am also having similar issues. I started playing again shortly after Windows installed an update on my computer. I've tried turning off cloth and ragdolls, turning off special effects sound, putting the game on an ssd, and changing the windows background bandwith settings. None of it has worked. Here are my specs:

i7-6700k @4GHz
16 GB ram
GTX 1070 with most recent drivers

I have the same specs and have game-breaking freezes.

2 0
  • 27 Sep '19
 DaddyPeaches

Have you guys updated windows to 1809?
seems to have fixed my problems.