Mordhau

Non-Alpha Players First Impressions

Sellsword 19 70
  • 1 May
 Devilstro

@WobWobz said:
The game modes are diverse enough, I really don't like that you can't host games for just you and your friends (without paying for a server), but joining empty servers works for now. Not played BR as I'm just not a fan of the gamemode.
It would be nice when you matchmake/join a server that it would drag your party with you, but that's a minor issue.

You can indeed host a server for you and your friends for free, if you want to. See how here: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/10250/how-i-got-my-dedicated-server-ot-run-and-appear-on/?page=2#c21

Conscript 14 79

Despite having had access as early as 6 months ago, I'd opted to wait until release.

I don't want to say too much about the gameplay because it has a high barrier of entry. It's fun for now, but I imagine things will only get better as one discovers the nuance, develops intuitive reflex, and figures out what loadouts they like. Very happy to have a first person melee game again.

The character customisation is superb. Definitely one of the most interesting aspects of the game, especailly once gold/xp are fixed, and maybe some QoL & GUI improvements. A team preview function would be nice. Also sometimes the face sculptor breaks. It won't highlight groups at all, and the mousewheel goes numb. Changing tabs seems to fix it, though.

As for the bad stuff, unfortunately I was right to be worried about the audio. I just don't like the soundtrack and that's that, could just be me. While the combat sounds are superb, unfortunately I can't say the same for voice acting, with a few very notable exceptions (especially foppish). I don't understand Triterion's decision to include American accents. An example would be "you pathedic piece 'a tresh". The vocal talent is actually really good, but they let him get away with a bland, non-medieval, modern accent. And why have him read lines such as "your skull is as soft as your belly"? And why so little voice diversity?

The game is about a bunch of loosely connected mercenaries, famous for their flamboyant, mismatching uniforms. So why stop there? Surely this would be a perfect setting to get away with a bunch of weird characters. The arrogant French man, the pedantic German, the passionate Spaniard, the easily angered Italian, the Schwarzenegger-sounding Skyrim guy, the foppish Swede who sounds like Dexter's laboratory, the goody two shoes Slav, the confused Russian who ares of speakings like this, etc. I talked about this as early as January 2018 [1].

I believe that battle royale and female characters are a good decision [2] [3]. However, if Triterion has decided to go forward with something as controversial as female characters for representation's sake, I can hardly believe that they just left this money on the table when it comes to regional representation. Especially since there is no pretense of the regional consistency that Chivalry had. I think that adding more voices should be the #1 priority. It will do the most for sales, and for the overall impression of the game.

Finally, let me illustrate something with the tutorial. I believe that Triterion did a fantastic job here. It has a bit of everything: sparring with the instructor, being insulted by the instructor, fruit ninja, demonstrating strike directions, localised wounds while chopping a stick, the Hans test, and being completely safe the whole way through, even though I didn't get to kick over any ugly pottery. But I couldn't shake the feeling that Chivalry did it ever so slightly better. How much of this is nostalgia, and how much of this is the fact that I didn't like the soundtrack? Or maybe I was bothered by the fact that I used a real sword on the instructor rather than a cudgel. He was magically fine. He just stood there and let me beat him during dialogue, uncanny valley style. However, this uncanny valley feeling was juxtaposed with his voice and demeanour trying to be as normal and as common as possible. An actual commoner would beat the player senseless. It just doesn't match. If he's going to tank sharp sword hits then he should sound the part as well, i.e. be a monty python character, and say that he gave the player a blunt, training sword. The engineer didn't have this problem, the engineer came off entirely authentic, and very well executed. He appeared out of nowhere and threw a hammer at me, screaming his head off.

All in all, great job on Triterion for releasing their game, really. The amount of gameplay nuance is downright overwhelming, and I'm looking forward to playing more as soon as the gold/xp issues are resolved. However, I maintain that the current state of voice acting may hurt the game long term.

23 9

Hi there.

I have not played Mount and Blade, Chivalry, For Honor, or any of those games... so I think I'm a good sample to pull from. I do love medieval warfare and realism in video games - that's what drew me in.

I think the game looks really good, and the physics feel really good for the most part. The fighting mechanics seem to be pretty balanced, but I'd make a few changes for two-handed weapons and smaller weapons. Here's a list of changes I'd like to see in the future.

• Heavy two-handers should be able to bash through small arms or knock ppl back if they block with their small sword or even shield. The windup for these two-handers like the battle axe take a long time and are easily parried by the shorter swords. I feel like the claymore stabs are the best two-handed attack because it's quick, reaches a long distance, and has short animation time.

• I wish when swinging weapons the foot mechanics slowed down a lot... it feels like ppl can ADADAD or WSWSWS dance a lot in this game and the swings look really off balance. I'd like to see combat more up close and personal than strike and fade dance maneuvers... this could be adjusted of course for weight and weapon weight but right now it feels a little weird at times.

• Crossbows should take a lot longer to reload but do a helluva a lot more damage. Heavy crossbow bolts were great at punching through armor in medieval times. Balance accordingly, but the bows need to be a little more fleshed out with more options and variety even in arrow types.

• The biggest thing I think this game needs - Leaders and Squad play. Leaders should be able to shout orders, mark objectives, and even gain squad xp to get weapons or gear for the team. Kinda like Battlefield 5's squad play right now. The game just doesn't feel like a modern multiplayer game with its lack of communication, marking, objectives etc. Maybe call them Regiments and have captains of each.

So really I am liking this game so far. I just see a ton of room for improvements and more modes... but at the core it's really good so I'm very hopeful for the future of this game. I am happy to support and excited to see where the devs take it. I really hope they make enough to flesh it out further and add some steller content and maps as well :) Gonna be a fun ride.

Cheers!

1339 1393

@discalceator said:
I don't understand Triterion's decision to include American accents. An example would be "you pathedic piece 'a tresh". The vocal talent is actually really good, but they let him get away with a bland, non-medieval, modern accent. And why have him read lines such as "your skull is as soft as your belly"? And why so little voice diversity?

Wasn't medieval English similar to the Armerican Englisch (because Americans were less affected by the Great Vowel Shift)?

111 53
  • 1 May
 yvesgomes
  • Filthy Casual (had played FH and Absolver, though, which are like distant cousins).
  • Harsh, but not unfair.

I'm liking the game a lot. Off of the first trailers, I didn't think the design would work, but I totally ate my hat on that one. Glad to have been proven wrong. Mad respect for the devs.

5 7

I bought Mordhau on launch day, and the only comparable game I've played is For Honor, (which I wouldn't really call comparable, it tries to be cinematic, this tries to make sense)..

I am so far terrible at Mordhau, with my Mercenary, (a shirtless lunatic with a billhook), I can hold my own against a single bot in a deathmatch, but I rarely survive more than 20 seconds in a Battle Royale.
So far I enjoy it, and the only thing I feel is missing is a way to start matches with just your friends.. surely they will be adding this feature in the near future?

Edit: oh, and I'm really bad at For Honor as well...
Now off to play some Mordhau, watch out for the shirtless maniac with a billhook.

10 1
  • 1 May
 Bytron08

Its good when i can play it but right now i keep getting timeouts/long load times ect.

6 11
  • 1 May
 Hellcat

I've put more than 800 hours into For Honor, about 40 in Chivalry + like 30 into DW, 250 hours into M&B: Warband and I have to say that this game takes the cake by far. Pulling off 3v1's without a revenge gimmick, actually controlling attack directions, no ballerina's - this game has everything I waited the last year and a half for. I'm upset I missed the kickstarter by a month or two but I finally get to play and it's made me enjoy video games again. When they fix progression systems I will grind this game solid for 1000 hours. I also got about 5 friends interested who'll probably play the game with me.

39 97

First things first...

The game needs more maps and a objective mode like in chivalry, or a campaign world map like Rising Storm/Red Orchestra style ASAP !!! So much potential there, lore and maps should make immersion rise.
I know the focus of the game is competitive play, but the lack of "things to do" makes it all repetitive and soullesslly robotic.

I want this game to be successful, but the devs really need to hurry up and add more content to the game. In it's actual state, the game is similar to War of the Vikings(dead game) although I don't want MORDHAU to end in a tragedy fate too...

Thanks for the game, devs ... Be strong and aim for improvements !

PS:

The combat is fun
Voice acting is mediocre
Customisation is superb
Fuck female characters and those hentai weeaboos behind it, we need meaningfull content. #makemordhaunotthesims

96 128
  • 1 May
 Reapy

@Cpt.Blitz said:
Hi there.

Hey there, nice post! I just thought I'd reply to some of these since I've been following and playing all of these melee games for years, and I often see these types of requests, especially when it comes to aiming for historical accuracy. I think a lot of the times the answer always comes up as sacrificing gameplay for reality, and the nature of how far players will push the game engine to succeed.

• Heavy two-handers should be able to bash through small arms or knock ppl back if they block with their small sword or even shield. The windup for these two-handers like the battle axe take a long time and are easily parried by the shorter swords. I feel like the claymore stabs are the best two-handed attack because it's quick, reaches a long distance, and has short animation time.

M&B actually had something like this, heavy weapons could crush through blocks of lighter weapons. They ended up most of the time upsetting players as it undermined a key system because you could do nothing when they got close. Most of the weapons ended up being speed limited to try to balance them and it just overall didn't work very well IMHO even though I enjoyed using them.

As you figure the game out more you'll see that having a slow swing can be a huge advantage too, being able to have your swing hang out in the air for a bit so that someone's timed block goes up, then comes back down while you delay (or drags, as they call it here) can land a lot of surprising hits.

• I wish when swinging weapons the foot mechanics slowed down a lot... it feels like ppl can ADADAD or WSWSWS dance a lot in this game and the swings look really off balance. I'd like to see combat more up close and personal than strike and fade dance maneuvers... this could be adjusted of course for weight and weapon weight but right now it feels a little weird at times.

M&B at one point had it set up so your backpedal speed was very slow vs your forward speed. This really hurt gameplay because you couldn't 'dodge' or dance around the outside of range and you'd end up ballerina dancing and spinning in tight circles since you could only run forward. They had to mostly equalize the speed so you could dance in and out of range.

I think as you play more you'll find that you have a lot more range control as you learn your weapon ranges and can keep your distance from people. That distance will give you a lot more time to read and react to things. There are mechanics in place to keep combat together, the chase mechanic where if someone runs from you, if you sprint while keeping your cursor on them and do nothing, you basically draft them to catch up for a hit. This means that people can't hit and run and have to stay up close.

Footwork really is a huge element in almost all melee games, managing spacing, facing, and the angles you let people get on you. Again this is another thing that you can end up spending a lot of time trying to master. It's another one of those things that feels chaotic at first but over hours starts to smooth out as well.

My basically is here they've done the majority of work on mechanics to keep melee players engaged with one another, front facing, and swinging it out, about as much as you can do in a melee game. In those other games mentioned this got out of control and you start to see a lot of broken animations, spastic movements, and weird facehugging circling things.

• Crossbows should take a lot longer to reload but do a helluva a lot more damage. Heavy crossbow bolts were great at punching through armor in medieval times. Balance accordingly, but the bows need to be a little more fleshed out with more options and variety even in arrow types.

Archery is one of those things that's hard to fit into a melee game, for gameplay reasons. The idea is that most people come here to swing melee weapons at one another. There are tons of shooting games out there, but very few melee. Arrows create a bit of asymmetric fun where the archer is having a good time and the the person being shot is frustrated. Mordhau helps some here by how it toned down arrow damage and that you can parry and block arrows. So while a real crossbow could punch through armor no problem, having that in this game would be really frustrating to players.

• The biggest thing I think this game needs - Leaders and Squad play. Leaders should be able to shout orders, mark objectives, and even gain squad xp to get weapons or gear for the team. Kinda like Battlefield 5's squad play right now. The game just doesn't feel like a modern multiplayer game with its lack of communication, marking, objectives etc. Maybe call them Regiments and have captains of each.

And here I really agree with you on some points! The bigger gameplay modes need some more of this quality of life so you can get into games with your friends and find each other. Honestly a great voice marking system like in apex would be awesome. I think honestly this is because the gameplay modes just sort of got here and I think they'll continue to add to it over time.

So anyway not really trying to pick on you at all, it's just that a lot of common sense historical realities don't always fit well into melee games due to just the gameplay vs reality thing, and a lot of times many of the things you'd think you want end up not working too well in practice!

6 11
  • 1 May
 Hellcat

@Cpt.Blitz said:
Hi there.

I have not played Mount and Blade, Chivalry, For Honor, or any of those games... so I think I'm a good sample to pull from. I do love medieval warfare and realism in video games - that's what drew me in.

I think the game looks really good, and the physics feel really good for the most part. The fighting mechanics seem to be pretty balanced, but I'd make a few changes for two-handed weapons and smaller weapons. Here's a list of changes I'd like to see in the future.

So really I am liking this game so far. I just see a ton of room for improvements and more modes... but at the core it's really good so I'm very hopeful for the future of this game. I am happy to support and excited to see where the devs take it. I really hope they make enough to flesh it out further and add some steller content and maps as well :) Gonna be a fun ride.

Cheers!

I think your first three suggestions are off a little bit, but everything else is solid.

First, two-handed weapons have massive advantages over one-handed weapons in many ways including but not limited to:

• Better reach
  • Higher damage
  • Better stamina
  • Better drags/accels
    If you keep getting slapped in 1v1's by a smaller weapon keep these things in mind and add footwork to use your range advantage and you should beat them easily unless they are a better player.

Second, the fast footwork is actually slower than it was in Chivalry as far as I can remember or have been told, and it is an integral part of the swordplay in this game as much as I have encountered so far. It's the only mechanic that lets you win in unbalanced fights (Xv1) and it can allow you to dodge under sword strikes (even though I can't do it consistently I have seen some that can). Slowing it down would make all fights a lock-in engagement were you wouldn't be allowed to leave without giving your opponent an easy hit. There is a chase system in place to take down faster players who flee but it does take a second to kick in if you haven't noticed it yet.

Lastly, Crossbows and Shortbows are the budget ranged weapon that are meant to be second to the longbow. While crossbows were powerful in their own right this crossbow in game at the moment seems to me like a lighter crossbow. I wouldn't be against a heavy crossbow being added with the features like you have mentioned though, because that would be fucking sick to use.

Mercenary 2185 3899

Hellö

shameless bump

7 2
  • 3 May
 Alduric

To put it simply, I have played about 9 hrs in the last 24 hrs and have a test in 4 hours for which i should get some sleep...

<3
ya, 10/10 up there with halo 3

523 566
  • 3 May
 Deadmode

Bought yesterday after following development news. Basically new to melee combat games. This game has blown my mind.

Firstly, the performance is incredible for the level of graphical fidelity (I'm getting 130fps in 1440p with 1.5x res scale solidly) which is great considering that smoothness is important in fast-movement and timing-based games.

The 'feel' of movement and player control is great. Everything feels really crisp and responsive. The combat is incredible. Simple controls yet a really deep amount of meta that allow for lots of player skill and identity!

The customization is also brilliant and I look forward to seeing how this can be expanded over time to allow for even greater choice for your mercenary.

What really impresses me though is the attention to detail and the quality and polish of the game, especially considering the size of the team behind it. This game deserves the attention it has garnered and I hope that the content grows with the community and that it sets the bar for melee combat games for years to come!

Mercenary 2185 3899

Bump me up fam

9 11

the game is everything i could hope for, but theres a lot of room for improvement.

first of all, the fighting is just so much more engaging and fluid than chiv, ive been having a blast dueling and sperimenting with weapons.
the customization is superb, the graphics are very pleasant, love the emotes and the voicelines, the toolbox and the medikits are a huge addition to the classic objectives mode and if used well can make the mode fairly strategic.

but, apart from the server and expgold issues there are things that could really improve the experience:

-an ui addition like an opaque green arrow on top of your friends when you play frontlines, caus otherwise its literally impossible to keep track of them and do stuff together.

-the objectives on frontline are THERE, but since theres an "indipendent" timer the mode basically revolves around the central zone and most times the battle ends with little to no effort put towards the objectives.
a general solution would be to make the objectives more important, make the timer dependant on the objectives and not the zones (which are still usefull to determine which objectives can or cant be done) or something like that.

-votekick is still accesible only from command line

-i had to turn off gore completely caus when i play blue i get tk and i too sometimes just hit friendlies drenched in blood. there needs to be an optional color mode, maybe for simplicity's sake just take a basic rainbow palette and let people individually pick which colors they want used for friendlies and enemies, so even color blind people can just choose what best suits them without the devs having to do some alternative colorblind specific options.

and on a personal note i honestly think the messer is literally a vengeful spirit from chiv, ive seen players do literal 360s with it and i think it needs to be fixed

these are just a few things, but overall i appreciate the devs work very much and am enjoying it a lot (already put 30 h in 4 days, kek) and i know they are still working hard on it