Mordhau

Weird aliasing artifacts when rendering metal armor

25 41
  • 28 Apr
 machinegod

20190427173124_1.jpg

There seems to be some weird aliasing going on with metal armor for me. Does anyone else see this? It is not a smooth surface, but instead has this pattern or something.

Knight 60 70
  • 28 Apr
 Bear264

I think I have seen that effect before while playing around with graphic settings. Is it like that in game too? Or just on the main menu?

Duke 341 973

Try turning off Ambient Occlusion at the bottom of the settings under the Video tab. I was also noticing that same artifacting until I messed around with each individual setting. Ambient Occlusion seems to have a huge impact on performance anyway, so probably best you turn it off.

25 41
  • 28 Apr
 machinegod

@Ruby Rhoderick said:
Try turning off Ambient Occlusion at the bottom of the settings under the Video tab. I was also noticing that same artifacting until I messed around with each individual setting. Ambient Occlusion seems to have a huge impact on performance anyway, so probably best you turn it off.

That was it. The shader used in their ambient occlusion algorithm is probably doing some incorrect sampling.

197 390

i was under the impression that post processing quality is tied to how many samples for things like AO are calculated. do you have post on low or high?

1308 2875
  • 28 Apr
 Monsteri

Yep, on low post processing settings the AO takes fewer samples and you end up with this checkerboard pattern.

25 41
  • 29 Apr
 machinegod

@Monsteri said:
Yep, on low post processing settings the AO takes fewer samples and you end up with this checkerboard pattern.

Looks like thats the case, however it is still noticeable on high postprocess settings. Ultra is considerably better than high, but you can still notice some aliasing.