Mordhau

PSA: Be nice to new players

Knight 554 1905
  • 24 Apr
 LuxCandidus

With release being upon us, it is time to remind you how absolutely imperative it is to act kindly and welcomingly to new players. You mmust arm yourselves with patience and understanding, because new players will lose and get mad - it is the nature of competitive games. They will misunderstand mechanics and say drags are broken or feints are unfair. You must resist any urge to argue or mock them. Be helpful, and be accepting. Briefly try to explain the importance of such mechanics or simply allow them to be angry without interfering. Do not squabble over it.

If the importance of such etiquette is not understood, most new players will be driven out within a month, and the game will forever be a ghost town where you fight the same 10 people every day. One of the largest ways in which a game can be ruined - that is outside the developers' control - is by garnering a reputation for its toxic community. Many games are not bad in themselves, but people will not go anywhere near them due to their notoriously toxic community. I am sure everyone can think of a few.

Whatever you do, do not give anyone a reason to describe the Mordhau experience as cancerous. A friendly community can greatly strengthen the enjoyment of a game, especially a smaller community such as this one, by being friendly and always willing to help new players learn, as well as being one you can reliably have fun with for a few hours after a long day.

• 24 Apr
 Maci
This comment was deleted.
12 23
  • 24 Apr
 Balerion

So much this. Being on the pro competitive side of Chivalry I understand how much toxicity can be generated from competitive games, but I really hope we can aim to do better than the ones that came before. I love the guides that have been put out there by Vq. And I hope to see more community involvement from the pro players out there.

• 24 Apr
 ohshitsorry
  • 24 Apr
 Stouty
41 29

I am scared

Knight 917 2522
  • 24 Apr
 Pred

The important question is - will the new players be nice to us?

I experienced all sorts of abuse from new players in Chivalry, I certainly do hope Morhau community will be better.

Knight 933 941
  • 24 Apr
 afiNity

The amount of times I was called a "clanfag" and got kicked for being either a drag or a feint noob.

Count 171 246

I'll be honest, when I started Chiv I got mad, like REAL mad. Because the gameplay is upclose and personal.
It was the first time I genuinely RAGE quit and UNINSTALLED a game because of that.

Then a friend saw I had the game and wanted to play it with me.

And there started my journey as Trickster, a bloody MAA troll on pub servers.

Some will get mad and will no doubt put a bad review because of that. Most important thing for us is to NOT act almighty and like jerks, it's essential to show the good lads and laughs this community and the game can offer.

Conscript 4546 6277
  • 24 Apr
 vanguard

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:
I'll be honest, when I started Chiv I got mad, like REAL mad. Because the gameplay is upclose and personal.
It was the first time I genuinely RAGE quit and UNINSTALLED a game because of that.

Then a friend saw I had the game and wanted to play it with me.

And there started my journey as Trickster, a bloody MAA troll on pub servers.

Some will get mad and will no doubt put a bad review because of that. Most important thing for us is to NOT act almight and like jerks, it's essential to show the good lads and laughs this community and the game can offer.

Me too man, I got fucking ANGRY with that game in a way no other game did in a goddamn long time, that was when I knew I had something special in my hands. Chivalry was a beast of a game, mordhau will be too tbh.

1058 1696

I never ever got hate mail until I started playing Chivalry on PS4.

529 278

Got vote kicked from a chiv server for feinting once ,_,

But Here Here! Well said, you are a voice of reason :) Every person that goes away mad is a potential negative review, then before you know it you are playing a dead game with the few remaining try-hards, fighting the same people every day.

Knight 685 1851

@Pred said:
The important question is - will the new players be nice to us?

I experienced all sorts of abuse from new players in Chivalry, I certainly do hope Morhau community will be better.

Good point, getting votekicked just for doing good wasn't a rare occurrence. I know someone who would regularly end his chivalry sessions after being kicked 3 times in a row for topscoring in pubs, absolutely frustrating...

Knight 614 1111
  • 25 Apr
 Uncy

I made few beta lads RQ because of my spins i promise i won't do it again mom

1339 1393

What about new players who are using shields? That's quite the dilemma.

Knight 2228 4000
  • 25 Apr
 Runagate

@SWSeriousMike said:
What about new players who are using shields? That's quite the dilemma.

They will go full turtle and run out of stam soon enough

Empress 349 847
  • 25 Apr
 Soulcatcher

bonk

bonk

yaaaah

heyaaah

bonk

hoaaaar

bonk

bonk

bonk

ping

slap

bang

8 28
  • 25 Apr
 WOLFIE

Well said,
as for new players who are toxic to begin with, no remorse... go to town on them with every bit of skill you have learned through your gametime. - if those players quit the game because you're better at it then them, good.

we don't need players who join the game to be toxic.

17 8
  • 26 Apr
 Donaldzimp

fuck that

stomp on me daddy