Mordhau

PC Gamer Covers Mordhau's Launch!

Duke 340 964

Check it out, boys! Looks like we got PC Gamer's attention. There one of the larger gaming news sites so I'm certain this will help push sales on release day! Article can be found below:

https://www.pcgamer.com/mordhau-the-medieval-multiplayer-melee-gets-release-date-for-this-month/

Duke 5473 13074
  • 20 Apr
 Jax — Community Manager

PogU

1286 3791

we don't need no stinkin company to advertise for us I got it handled (points to a pile of dead baby seals spelling out mordhau in comic sans) were gonna crash steam with all the traffic on the checkout screen

529 278

Pfft, I could have written a better article than that ._. Do those guys get paid for that shit?

Baron 128 295
  • 21 Apr
 2cool2care

@Christian2222 said:
Pfft, I could have written a better article than that ._. Do those guys get paid for that shit?

Classic modern low effort journalism indeed

Count 171 246

@Christian2222 said:

Sadly yes, most of the time they are even paid to spread lies. That's what they do to clickbait.

1286 3791

holy fuck I actually looked at it that was short as hell even my shit posts are longer and with better descriptions

62 153

An article, huzzah!

101 171
  • 21 Apr
 Sektor

IGN Hungary also covered this yesterday. Unfortunately US based IGN has not, yet.

1058 1696

Yeah my shield complaints are longer than that Mordhau article.

Knight 3281 6706
  • 22 Apr
 Bodkin

Inhale...Chapter Four...

1058 1696

Chapter Four:

Imagine something you love was constantly getting tooled around with by cavemen and baboons who will never use it and clearly don't want it used outside of TO by noobs who don't know better. You'd write more essays on here, too if your favorite weapons/loadouts or in my case, favorite playstyle was constantly being derped with by people who would rather use GS, messer, baxe or cleaver with rehearsed look down drags/feints and accels.

Buckler is the only "shield" these apes would ever use and only on their cleaver archer loadouts. As cool as buckler sounds it's really just something to make archers harder to kill. If parrying arrows is easier than blocking them with shield, which is certainly my experience... then buckler will ironically be a better archer counter than heater shield. Buckler will be better than shield and better than parry and it's only real weakness, in the hands of a top player, would be the fact that offense is limited to 1h.

Buckler is only directly weak to feints so noobs will get rekt if they try crutching on it but for a melee god with falchion or mace, buckler has all the benefits of parry with extra time(drag negation) AND extra stamina, since you keep stamina when disarmed with it. For those of you who don't know, buckler gets a super parry instead of a held block along with extra stamina.

My point is that typical shields will be gimped by more clunkiness next patch with less raised speed and potentially continued lower delay to force kick stun to (hopefully finally) work and let cavemen gamble kick them more successfully but these same cavemen who think hitting around shield is too hard and kicking currently takes too much skill will get buckler and so long as they read/mitigate feints they will be better off than with plain parry. Buckler is also cheaper than most shields (: Im sure buckler will be banned from most comp tournaments.

Buckler is a shield designed for apes while actual shields were designed to be formulaically beaten by apes, be it spam outside of initiative, stamina war or gamble kick stun. The kicks in this game were designed to be very risky and ultimately, defensive with little reach and no recovery afterwords... so by nature, they are a poor choice as a hard counter against any thing, especially backstepping shields. Who ever thought kickstun was appropriate spent too much time messer trading in Chivalry. Now next patch, shields will have slower raised speed to (in the caveman's mind?) make them easier to spam kick and lower delay means reading a kick, so you lower your shield to avoid kick stun but dont have the time to counter kick. SO you still take stamina and health damage from the kick even if you read the kick. If you use 1h, your almost always in kick range unless you have short spear/rapier and or light armor...

So the more annoying and rat like your playstyle the more likely you are to be impregnable with shield, but the more honest and direct, or burdened down by armor, the more likely you are to constantly get kicked, though you won't often get kick stunned if you've got a few hundred hours.

So isn't continued kick stun and oncoming decreased shield run speed simply a nerf to T3 shield users while rats with shield still get to bait kicks and be otherwise invulnerable to drags/feints, etc? Oh and decreased raised shield run also makes shooting shield users easier for archers... so it's also an archery buff.

Plot twist: The weakened shield user finally gets to the archers and they whip out cleaver/buckler and spam slashes and kicks to rape the guy. Then they tell him how bad he is for trying to crutch on shield and he should go play For Honor or any other melee game if he doesn't like 100% timing based caveman meta combat.

Duke 5473 13074
  • 23 Apr
 Jax — Community Manager

@Mittsies do your magic

1058 1696

Can the community manager comment directly on the poor spot all shields in 1vX have been put into and how useless shields will be in 1vX and against archers if raised running speed gets worse?

If buckler gets to be an increased parry making it strong against drags but weak against feints then can't targe become the one thats weakest to stamina warfare and has kick stun, heater the one requiring the most locational accuracy with moderate stamina negation and solid raised speed and Kite become the most expensive but with physical size making it strong locationally and against stamina warfare?

Kick stun just ain't it chief but maybe making each different shield weak to one thing and strong against others may be the way to go. I get a shield strict to location, cancermancers get their buckler, some beginners get a stamina whore, kick stunned force field and others get the counter-archer big boy for holding objectives and XvX.

Bear in mind, that kick stun doesnt help a guy fighting 3 shield users since he can't kick them all and they're all impregnable otherwise. Kick stun as the sole, 1 size fits all recipe to beat a shield is bad in the long run for both shield noob and 2h overlord.

162 124

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
Can the community manager comment directly on the poor spot all shields in 1vX have been put into and how useless shields will be in 1vX and against archers if raised running speed gets worse?

If buckler gets to be an increased parry making it strong against drags but weak against feints then can't targe become the one thats weakest to stamina warfare and has kick stun, heater the one requiring the most locational accuracy with moderate stamina negation and solid raised speed and Kite become the most expensive but with physical size making it strong locationally and against stamina warfare?

Kick stun just ain't it chief but maybe making each different shield weak to one thing and strong against others may be the way to go. I get a shield strict to location, cancermancers get their buckler, some beginners get a stamina whore, kick stunned force field and others get the counter-archer big boy for holding objectives and XvX.

Bear in mind, that kick stun doesnt help a guy fighting 3 shield users since he can't kick them all and they're all impregnable otherwise. Kick stun as the sole, 1 size fits all recipe to beat a shield is bad in the long run for both shield noob and 2h overlord.

sounds promising, though i dont know what devs are planning with shields

529 278

You are supposed to captain america your shield.... like CDW Viking.