Mordhau

Player base at launch. (speculative thread)

529 281

So what kind of player base do you think we are looking at here at launch? I'm thinking at the very least 10,000. Didn't For Honor have 45,000 players or something stupid at launch? I'm sure some of them will try this, then I'm sure at least some of the Mount and blade players will try Mordhau, war of the roses players, CMW players of course, random new-commers to medieval combat. 50,000+ players would not be that far fetched really.

But maybe not a lot of people are on the hype train, or simply have not heard of Mordhau, or bad marketing, then maybe only 5k players only?

Maybe we can even turn this into a fun betting thread, or game :)

147 227
  • 19 Apr
 elToroGuapo

3K, at best.

367 341
  • 19 Apr
 Peacerer

@elToroGuapo said:
3K, at best.

You're wrong.

Conscript 76 108
  • 19 Apr
 KineticWolf

Chivalry medieval warfare sold tens or hundreds of thousands on launch. This proves there's a market for melee-slashers. There are literally zero melee-slashers on the market. It's therefore only logical that Mordhau will sell very well.

The question is how many players will be retained?

Duke 341 974

Chivalry sold anywhere from 5 - 10 million copies and according to Steam charts, the peak player count was 25K nearly 5 years after release. For the release month of October 2012, the peak was 5K.

I think it's safe to say that, unfortunately do to what seems like little hype surrounding the full release - low view count on YouTube trailer, near to no publicity from video game sites, and poor trending Reddit threads, it's likely to not sell as well. Sure everyone is excited here on the forums or on the Discord, but that's only a couple thousand people tops. We need MILLIONS of people to be hyped about this game.

I don't mean to be negative, because I want nothing more than this game to succeed, but there just isn't enough people spreading the word about the release, it seems. If the game releases to a storm of negative Steam reviews due to poor performance, network issues, or simply don't enjoy the gameplay, well the game is dead there. No amount of post-launch patching or support from the devs will be able to save it then.

So what can we do? Start posting gifs of funny and crazy gameplay moments to gaming subreddits, for one. We're likely to reach the largest audience there. Spam sites like Kotaku with the gameplay trailer - share you're excitement and they'll want to share it with their readers too. Answer questions in the YouTube comments section, in Reddit threads, and in the Steam discussion boards - in a kind and helpful way, of course. If you express your excitement, that'll get other's interested too and that's one more sale the devs can use to keep the servers going.

Duchess 789 3478
  • 19 Apr
 Stouty

why would you set yourself up to be so wrong with only 10 days to go

Game will sell big

529 281

@Stouty said:
why would you set yourself up to be so wrong with only 10 days to go

? Do you have a guess or not? This @#[email protected] community XD. You were one of the good ones too.

101 174
  • 19 Apr
 Sektor

The game will be too hard for new players I think. Frontline will be a good starting point and I guess it will be the most played mode but the game needs more publicity. PCGAMER, Massivelyop and other major gaming sites have not posted about Mordhau's release. So maybe its time we might start sending them the trailer.

529 281

"the peak player count was 25K nearly 5 years after release"
Ouch, didn't know that. How bad was the game at launch though? was it broken?

You are right, they are not spreading the word enough, we might be looking at < 6k

Knight 1388 3162

D e ad g aem e REeEEeeeEee
eeEee

22 15

Just pay top twitch streamers to play it on release Kappa

147 227
  • 20 Apr
 elToroGuapo

@Stouty said:
Game will sell big

lol

Duke 341 974

@PeanutButterJellyTime said:
Just pay top twitch streamers to play it on release Kappa

Maybe if the devs weren't broke. Though they should hand out streamer keys - if we could get someone like Shroud again to play on release, the game would get a ton of publicity.

162 124

streamers -definitely, and same goes with gaming articles/channels

1 1
  • 20 Apr
 Hateplow

If the game is good it will sell, sooner or later.

367 341
  • 29 Apr
 Peacerer

@Peacerer said:

@elToroGuapo said:
3K, at best.

You're wrong.

Told you. :P

147 227
  • 30 Apr
 elToroGuapo

@Peacerer said:

@Peacerer said:

@elToroGuapo said:
3K, at best.

You're wrong.

Told you. :P

what a nerd

Conscript 76 108
  • 30 Apr
 KineticWolf

I told you all. You're all pessimistic naysayers, the lot of you!

529 281

So that was pretty good, when I looked on steam it was 15,000 + ? I didn't check until later, so maybe it was even higher.

Conscript 76 108
  • 30 Apr
 KineticWolf

Peak of 16,160 today.