Mordhau

Health Regen has no place in Comp

Duchess 775 3451
200 398

2:02 wtf

from watching qmf's tournament recordings if the fighters are equally skilled the fight goes for a long ass time with no regens anyway. having the regen in just drags it on for too long.

but an argument for keeping regen is that it gives some opportunity to gage opponents play style and avoid winnings by fluke, which was a complaint i saw from those who competed in the ft5 rounds mostly. that could be solved by doing ft10s for all rounds next time, or a warm up round w/e

Knight 762 3301
  • 17 Apr
 Mittsies

100% agree, there's no good reason to have regen in duels or small-scale (3v3 or less) LTS (skirmish).

Another thing about no regeneration in general is fall damage. I think fall damage should be completely replaced by a threshold system: falling from medium heights will cause a ragdoll and no damage, and falling from great heights will just instantly kill you. None of this taking 18 damage bullshit. Even during modes WITH regeneration, taking fall damage feels terrible because you're obligated to walk for awhile until you've regenerated.

529 278

Agreed, thank you for posting this, if I had posted this it would immediately be dismissed as a dumb idea. I hate anything that promotes, or rewards passive play.

Knight 334 777
  • 17 Apr
 AngelEyes

I liked this idea up until 6 minutes ago

Knight 693 1593
  • 17 Apr
 das

@AngelEyes said:
I liked this idea up until 6 minutes ago

timestamped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJCSNIl2Pls&t=1m34s

I don't have an opinion on the matter atm.

47 25
  • 18 Apr
 Digganob

I don't think that it should be removed completely. Maybe make it take a longer time so that you can't get your health back by backing up for a while. Because well, if they can't back up for long enough they won't regenerate, and if they run they won't regenerate, so win-win, right? Also if they run, you can catch up eventually, keeping duels from being short exchanges before one party runs away. Is there anything wrong with this idea?

Duchess 775 3451
  • 18 Apr
 Stouty

You haven't said why regen is good

Duke 5484 13098
  • 18 Apr
 Jax — Community Manager

Mmmm I'd say with this build you're right in terms of at least duels, however with the next update the 180° run away strats are going to be nerfed pretty hard. Next patch, if you end up in a bad spot and your opponent decides to pressure you, you're not going to be able to disengage. The only time you'll be able to get away(or at least most of the time) is if they let you, so the decision comes down to whoever has the health/stam advantage. Of course you cover other various scenarios, but the mobility issues should be addressed at the very least.

With that being said we're still a decent ways off from having ranked in the game, so we'll make that decision when we get there. Great video though I'm glad your computer is safe.

47 25
  • 18 Apr
 Digganob

@Stouty said:
You haven't said why regen is good

I mean, I've made arguments against all of the reasons to not have it, but one of the reasons I think it's good to have it is if, for instance, your opponent backs off because they have low health, but you also have low health, you can both recuperate in a sort of mutual truce. This could make fights more interesting by allowing you to gauge your opponent's playstyle and maybe gain an advantage later in the fight. Also, it's annoying to be able to be one shot at any point by some archer, even if you're away from the fighting. Otherwise, there would be an over-reliance on health kits that might not be there if you're not on the high-end competitive play, where people don't communicate as much. I'm just saying that a regeneration that takes longer to start would be better than what we have right now. Also, if there was no health regen in duels, wouldn't this make health kits a must in any build? Otherwise, I suppose that you could ban them, but I think they have their place.

Knight 693 1593
  • 18 Apr
 das

@Digganob

Health regen won't really matter in higher level 1v1 ranked when we get proper dueling arenas (think of the center arena in Camp, or the one in the very first Melee dev blog) because you'll eventually hit a wall where you can't backpedal anymore. You'll never have the opportunity to natural regen if the other guy doesn't want you to, let alone bandage.

So for duels, it's kind of irrelevant whether regen remains or not - and because of this, if you take Stouty's side, it's basically a matter of "if HEALTH regen and healing items will be irrelevant in duel arenas, give me a reason why we should keep them anyways".

For comp LTS 2+v2+, it's a little more complicated.

1418 1495

@Digganob said:

I mean, I've made arguments against all of the reasons to not have it, but one of the reasons I think it's good to have it is if, for instance, your opponent backs off because they have low health, but you also have low health, you can both recuperate in a sort of mutual truce. This could make fights more interesting by allowing you to gauge your opponent's playstyle and maybe gain an advantage later in the fight. Also, it's annoying to be able to be one shot at any point by some archer, even if you're away from the fighting. Otherwise, there would be an over-reliance on health kits that might not be there if you're not on the high-end competitive play, where people don't communicate as much. I'm just saying that a regeneration that takes longer to start would be better than what we have right now. Also, if there was no health regen in duels, wouldn't this make health kits a must in any build? Otherwise, I suppose that you could ban them, but I think they have their place.

Maybe watch the video or at least read the title before commenting.

367 341
  • 19 Apr
 Peacerer

Talking about competive scene? First make friendly dmg mirrored! Make team dmg reflective than talk about competitive. Let's see how good PGs are with their two-handers.

Fake competitive players didn't want to hear about this idea in Chivalry, im 100% sure they don't want to hear it in Mordhau. Ignorrant pricks would come out with every possible excuse how reflective dmg is bad, for example such as an idiotic statement "what if someone taking friendly dmg on purpose... " and other nonsense which in the first place has nothing to do with competitive scene. Fake pros - scared of their own shadow!

1084 6144
  • 19 Apr
 crushed — Art

@Peacerer said:
Talking about competive scene? First make friendly dmg mirrored! Make team dmg reflective

This will never happen in this game, ever. One of the worst suggestions

367 341
  • 19 Apr
 Peacerer

I know your opinion, you had it the same years ago with the rest of fake pros in Chivalry. Ofcourse coz you're a part of ignorrant prick compaign saying people will jump like frogs intentiontally into friendly swings, while its totally OK to swing right and left with your own sword like mad without taking any resposibility nor caring for consequences. You and the rest of pros miss the whole point behind the word competitive.

You wannabe competitive pros are like disgustful believers - fraudulently following the ten commandments. Bunch of hypocrites.

There is nothing competitive in your ignorance hurting your comrades.

47 25
  • 19 Apr
 Digganob

@Peacerer said:
I know your opinion, you had it the same years ago with the rest of fake pros in Chivalry. Ofcourse coz you're a part of ignorrant prick compaign saying people will jump like frogs intentiontally into friendly swings, while its totally OK to swing right and left with your own sword like mad without taking any resposibility nor caring for consequences. You and the rest of pros miss the whole point behind the word competitive.

You wannabe competitive pros are like disgustful believers - fraudulently following the ten commandments. Bunch of hypocrites.

Wait what's the point of reflective friendly damage if we have the ability to vote-kick someone? Chivalry even showed the team-damage done, and I'd say that people kicked too often. I don't get the point in damaging immersion and punishing newbs who aren't good at avoiding their teammates.

Also, 80% sure a troll, 20% sure a dick head.

162 124

the only thing im worried is how the nerf for 180 runs work, mostly because im scared that you might nerf footwork. (usually helps long weapons to actually utilized their long range by going back)

Knight 32 42
  • 20 Apr
 Polan

@Peacerer said:

if this isnt a joke then there's something wrong with u

162 124

@Jax said:
Mmmm I'd say with this build you're right in terms of at least duels, however with the next update the 180° run away strats are going to be nerfed pretty hard. Next patch, if you end up in a bad spot and your opponent decides to pressure you, you're not going to be able to disengage. The only time you'll be able to get away(or at least most of the time) is if they let you, so the decision comes down to whoever has the health/stam advantage. Of course you cover other various scenarios, but the mobility issues should be addressed at the very least.

With that being said we're still a decent ways off from having ranked in the game, so we'll make that decision when we get there. Great video though I'm glad your computer is safe.

So will this effect playstyles/ footwork? i hope not

Knight 34 103

@yep said:
So will this effect playstyles/ footwork? i hope not

If your playstyle was based on turning around and running away every time your opponent takes a swing at you, then yes I imagine it will.