Mordhau

Flail Discussion/Suggestions

Knight 5103 6844

I didnt say it should have better range than other one handers, i said it should be good for a one hander.
We are just throwing ideas around to try to convey flails' unique properties. Of that list maybe one or two would make it into the implementation in game, not everything.
And anyway, if the only way to get a flail in the game is as plain as another weapon with unique stats but like any other in every aspect, i would be fine with it. I mean, i enjoyed a lot using chiv's garbage flails.

Knight 466 909
  • 16 Apr
 wierHL

Make it so that if you feint the ball still continues to swing, interacting normally with opponent parry. If you kill someone WITHOUT feinting the ball keeps going and hits you in the head, which allows you to double KO.

47 25
  • 17 Apr
 Digganob

@SWSeriousMike said:
So the flails should:
1) be hard to parry,
2) be better for feints,
3) be faster in combos,
4) have longer range than other 1h weapons,
5) constantly spin to make the attack animation less readable,
6) be energy efficient

Anything else? How about lots of stamina damage to quickly disarm opponents? How about throwing the flail and if it hits the target is knocked prone just like with a bola? And you could climb higher when you use them as a grappling hook.

Lol nice, that is a good point though. In real life the problem with flails is that they are impractical and hard to use, which is why they didn't really exist. Hmmmm, any ideas? Less damage is the obvious one, I suppose. What were the weaknesses of flails in Chivalry? That might be a good place to start.

Oh yeah, maybe make it impossible to chamber, since you can't stop a sword with a fuckin' chain, that wouldn't make sense. Now THAT would be something! Ya think it could balance out the other benefits? Oh and you couldn't parry anything with it by itself either, so you'd have to use a shield, taking up points as well. I think this is probably the best way to balance it out, because it really accentuates the difficulty and impracticality of using a flail. Watcha think?

Knight 5103 6844

i'd say it depends on how quirky they want to make it, if it has quirky strenghts, quirky weakneses seem to be the logical way to balance it. Making it very hard to use without a shield would be one way, hopefully shields are fixed by the time flails are released if they go this way.
And in this scenario i'd say that they should be able to chamber and not to parry. Flails are good at offense but suck at defense, seems logical to allow it to defend itself only by attacking, which is significantly harder than parrying. Someone with just a one handed flail in their hands would be pretty screwed, not hopeless but pretty damn screwed.

47 25
  • 17 Apr
 Digganob

@Humble Staff said:
i'd say it depends on how quirky they want to make it, if it has quirky strenghts, quirky weakneses seem to be the logical way to balance it. Making it very hard to use without a shield would be one way, hopefully shields are fixed by the time flails are released if they go this way.
And in this scenario i'd say that they should be able to chamber and not to parry. Flails are good at offense but suck at defense, seems logical to allow it to defend itself only by attacking, which is significantly harder than parrying. Someone with just a one handed flail in their hands would be pretty screwed, not hopeless but pretty damn screwed.

Huh, I suppose that could be it. Although, how would the chamber work exactly? Hitting the enemy's weapon with the handle of the flail? That is a good idea though.