Mordhau

Some Armor Ideas

47 25
  • 15 Apr
 Digganob

I thought all the armor choices I've seen from the videos I've watched were really cool so far, and you guys do a real good job of allowing lots of diverse bits and pieces that allow players to make some really cool lookin' dudes. But I do have a couple of suggestions that could add a bit more flavor and diversity.

1. Helmet ornaments. Like you know, horns or something, or spikes perhaps, kind of like a hood ornament.

2. Optional armor bits. Something I would especially like to see are spikes, I dunno why I've always thought spiked armor looked real cool. For instance, see the for honor conqueror PqsEdpC.jpg

I'd just think some small addons could look really cool and add some diversity, and since we're a bunch of filthy mercenaries fightin' for money and booze, I'd think that it should fit right in to have some nasty spikes on our armor!

Knight 2594 6885
Knight 34 103

Please no spikes, we have enough edgy bois in full black armour already.

47 25
  • 15 Apr
 Digganob

@ĶأĻăHarbinger said:
Please no spikes, we have enough edgy bois in full black armour already.

Nah man, it'll be fine. It would at least make the edgy bois more diverese if nothing else. I'm not saying frickin' humongous spikes, just some studs on your pauldron for instance. Like, you know, the conqueror I put in the picture above.

47 25
  • 15 Apr
 Digganob

@renaissance said:
https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/9813/mordhau-armor-suggestions/

I'm sort of suggesting a concept rather than a specific helmet or armor design I'd think would fit in the game. Also, it's really hard to find examples of plate armor with spikes that are from real life.

Knight 237 1154
  • 15 Apr
 renaissance

@Digganob said:

@renaissance said:

I'm sort of suggesting a concept rather than a specific helmet or armor design I'd think would fit in the game. Also, it's really hard to find examples of plate armor with spikes that are from real life.

a862bf6b1a08a06f9502ae9c714c28bc.jpg50254bb1bca1a6052d0ae0ad232c6637.jpg50254bb1bca1a6052d0ae0ad232c6638.jpg

47 25
  • 15 Apr
 Digganob

@renaissance said:

@Digganob said:

@renaissance said:

a862bf6b1a08a06f9502ae9c714c28bc.jpg50254bb1bca1a6052d0ae0ad232c6637.jpg50254bb1bca1a6052d0ae0ad232c6638.jpg

Damn, that's pretty good. What method did you use to find something like this? I've tried searching up things like "spiked plate armor" and the like.

Knight 237 1154

@Digganob said:
Damn, that's pretty good. What method did you use to find something like this? I've tried searching up things like "spiked plate armor" and the like.

pinterest
theres a lot of good images, it just takes some historical know-how to separate the fake armor from the real armor so you have to be careful

Also, it's really hard to find examples of plate armor with spikes that are from real life.

i should add that the reason for this is because it didnt really exist

47 25
  • 15 Apr
 Digganob

i should add that the reason for this is because it didnt really exist

Yeah I know that, and that's why it's hard lol. Really just looking for actual real life examples of armor, even if it's not historically accurate you know?

Knight 2241 4028
  • 16 Apr
 Runagate

Thing is, Mordhau tries to be quite historically accurate with equipment. Big spikes jutting out of you aren't believable, and we have enough fantasy-tier armour as is.

Also horned helmets are a meme

Knight 466 909
  • 16 Apr
 wierHL

@Runagate said:

unless we look at some tribes way before Mordhau's timeframe I guess

Knight 2241 4028
  • 16 Apr
 Runagate

Indeed they're irrelevant in this discussion. Out of curiosity, what tribes would these be?

Knight 1383 3152

@Runagate said:
Mordhau tries to be quite historically accurate with equipment.

lol

spiked armor looks stupid regardless

Knight 466 909
  • 16 Apr
 wierHL

Some Bronze Age tribe in Denmark had horned helmets, as well as some 100 BC Gaulic tribe near Waterloo. These were all ceremonial though so the most likely instance of it being found on a battlefield is either as loot or worn by a shaman or druid or something. Or maybe on some selected shock/morale troops.

Pretty sure 4th century AD Germanic invaders have been depicted with horned helmets as well, but I don't think they found actual helmets resembling the artwork. Idk Rome was pretty Christian by then, maybe the art patrons just liked to associate pagans (or heretics, Arianism had been spreading through Germania) with horns. Maybe they saw the horns for the first time on ceremonial helmets. Idk I'm speculating here.

Knight 2241 4028
  • 16 Apr
 Runagate

@Tim_Fragmagnet said:

@Runagate said:
Mordhau tries to be quite historically accurate with equipment.

lol

spiked armor looks stupid regardless

Did I not say we already have dumb almost-fantasy shit?

47 25
  • 17 Apr
 Digganob

@Runagate said:
Thing is, Mordhau tries to be quite historically accurate with equipment. Big spikes jutting out of you aren't believable, and we have enough fantasy-tier armour as is.

I mean, sure, MOST of Mordhau is historically accurate with equipment, but that's the thing, MOST. Did you know that we didn't have humongous hammers and maces? That's right, eveningstars and mauls did not exist. At least not in any civilized or typical civilization. The only types of maces and hammers that were used in a normal context were ONE-handed maces and hammers, and even then they were used much more sparingly than swords and especially spears. Very occasionally would something like a maul be used, and the grand majority of the time it was just a sledge hammer being used as an improvised weapon. So pardon me, but if spikes and horned helmets shouldn't be in the game, then neither should eveningstars or mauls. Maybe keep the sledgehammer though, because that is what would actually be used sometimes as an improvised weapon. Some spikes and horns aren't going to be the least realistic things in the game. If this was a medieval simulator things would be different, but it's not. It's a competitive medieval-themed melee combat game. Chill your realism boner my man.

Knight 5096 6837

Yea that's was one of the arguments against the maul, but people cried enough for them and there you go, 1 bonk to kill anything in the head. The only historical skin for it is the one that looks like a mallet, which was hollow historically. The other skins have way too big of a head.
Two handed blunt weapons did exist though, but they basically were heads of the same size than one handed variants but in a longer pole, the polehammer is a good example and the most common too.

Knight 237 1154
  • 17 Apr
 renaissance

@Digganob said:
The only types of maces and hammers that were used in a normal context were ONE-handed maces and hammers,

incorrect, look up "pollaxe"
16c2b8b3e29bb823f8fdf52e172cff0f.jpg590d3daac32dffaf719cde49321cc6af.jpgbf03b9501a9281909636b69c772012d6.jpg069370a9c7c41ff2c93cc4d569ace4d0.jpg77bbc18004850aded431918d6bd328f7.png3e14abfe112586bb66dfb4b419f56200.jpgfb59d18079f585a90810c68d277ee70b--medieval-helmets-medieval-armor.jpg