Mordhau

I'm really not a fan of the unlock system

7 0

I love making characters as much as I love "playing the actual game." I came back this month to play and saw that a progression system was implemented. I'm not really upset that my loadouts broke because I understand that the game isn't out yet and that everything is subject to change, but having all of the equipment behind this massive wall has taken a lot of the fun out of the game for me. I want to be able to make characters and stuff without having to pour massive amounts of time into the game. What was once a social experience for me has turned into a grind that feels more like work than play.

Mercenary 151 531
  • 15 Apr
 Stauxie

Pretty sure progression is undergoing change. Even with the current progression grinding is relatively quick. It's even quicker if you know what you want.

Having unlocks provides incentive. "I want to flaunt my armor that only a few people are wearing!" or, "I want to show that I put time into this game." Whatever the case, there is a showing of experience put into the game. A level of prestige.

Plus, if you enjoy the game with its core mechanics, you will be able to create loadouts no problem within the first month. If the game feels more like a grind to you, its kinda hard to get you into the progression, because it gives the impression that you don't enjoy the game in itself, you just enjoy Fashionhau.

Knight 28 60

It would be cool to receive gold every time you level up, something like "new level x 10".

(Level 2 -> 20 gold ; level 30 -> 300 gold ...)

Knight 675 2710
  • 16 Apr
 Mittsies

The weapon unlock system is really boring and doesn't feel like I'm actually working towards anything big. The unlocks don't feel like a progression, but rather just "whatever here you go I guess". It's also weird that they use the same system as cosmetics, forcing you to choose between customizing your appearance, and trying out a new weapon. I think weapons should use a unique unlock system based on number of kills with certain types of weapons (I actually made a thread about this).

As for the cosmetic unlocks, my only complaint is how the level system works. Of course Gold should be a result of score + time, as it already is, and should be rewarded even against bot modes like horde. Levels however should only be earned from actual player kills (and perhaps doing objectives in Frontline). Gold would be used to purchase the majority of things, and Levels would be only be used to unlock special things like metal colors - similar to chivalry's level 50+ helmet tints. This allows players to quickly get the appearance they want, while people who like to collect everything will have a lot of things to grind.

Conscript 4430 6014
  • 16 Apr
 vanguard

Why not make all weapons free, but their customization under the currency unlock system?

As I see it, having weapons cost money is like making a tier of armor cost money

65 113
  • 16 Apr
 conny

It is close to free as is, but you are somewhat encouraged to stick with a weapon in the beginning wich will give you a better chance of learning the differences between weps intstead of rage swapping to every weapon that you lose to, while still being somewhat free to get what you want

Conscript 4430 6014
  • 16 Apr
 vanguard

@conny said:
It is close to free as is, but you are somewhat encouraged to stick with a weapon in the beginning wich will give you a better chance of learning the differences between weps intstead of rage swapping to every weapon that you lose to, while still being somewhat free to get what you want

Well, same can be said abour armor really, having them locked behind money would give you a better chance of learning the differences between armor types instead of rage swapping to 3/3/3 as soon as you get archered/1htk to death.

I don't think its a valid argument tbh, locking weapons behind money is annoying and adds nothing imho. Free halberd or riot

65 113
  • 17 Apr
 conny

I dont see the problem, everything that affects gameplay is very cheap, might look like dogshit but aslong as it works the same its all good

Sellsword 4911 6380

Eh, dog shit is not so bad tbh, its not rabbit shit which is so perfectly smooth and rounded but it could be horse or cow shit. Have you seen that shit? It's actually disgusting to look at.
And no, Mordhau's horse dungs dont count, they look nothing like the real deal and i am glad that devs were mercifull enough to spare our eyes.

Shit post ba dum tish aside, weapons are so cheap that you can pick 2 or 3 of them and still have gold for some armor right away after finishing the tutorial, doesnt feel that bad for me.

Knight 1124 3219
  • 18 Apr
 Frise

What a surprise, the communist wants to make shit free

Conscript 4430 6014
  • 18 Apr
 vanguard

Money BAD :D