Mordhau

Constant high ping (80+)

101 171
  • 14 Apr
 Sektor

I am playing on the official Frankfurt server and I always get 80+ ping. The reason I post this is because in every other game I play with maximum 50-60. In mount and blade for example, I play a on 200 man server with 60 ping when it's full, 50 when its like half. I am not a techie so I dont know what is the criteria to get a proper ping, but in every other game I get much less ping, and 80 really seems bad for a game like Mordhau. So I have tested mount and blade = 60 ping, CSGO = 54, Overwatch = 60, Chivalry = 60. Could this be because of the beta testing? In first that was my initial thought but it seems unlikely since most servers are rented servers? So its not on the game's side? I have my NAT open aswell. Help would be greatly appreciated because I feel very slow, especially on parries and kicks after an action, even weapons feel strange and can't play anything else other than fast ones and I really want to rock a 2H axe.

King 2414 3379

ShoddyDeadlyHoki-size_restricted.gif

What 80 ping means basically

Empress 349 847
  • 15 Apr
 Soulcatcher

Ya anything over 60 sucks ass

Maybe it's the servers location? I play on Australian servers and I know I get like 40 ping on servers hosted in Melbourne and 60 on Sydney, this is going off privately hosted servers and bad memory

What can you do about it though I don't know.

Are you playing on a wired connection?

Maybe upgrade your internet connection?

I don't know fuck all about fibre, but I upgraded to my service providers fasted fibre, and it reduced my ping by about 10 in most games mainly Chiv & Mord. So theres that I guess

Good luck friendo

101 171
  • 15 Apr
 Sektor

I am on wired connection, yes. I have the best service provider of Greece and I'm also on fast path, I never get issues with ping or inconsistencies regarding ping jump downs or ups. This issue is only on Mordhau, I always play with 50 maximum 60 ping on UK servers, normally 50 on German ones, regardless of the game. If a dev or a tech support representative could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I also have various registry edits, closed firewalls, microsoft updates, have OPEN nat on router. Tried LEATRIX fix as well, no change on Mordhau, other games are normal.

101 171
  • 15 Apr
 Sektor

Anybody?

985 6954
  • 16 Apr
 marox — Project Lead

@Sektor said:
I am on wired connection, yes. I have the best service provider of Greece

Which servers are you getting bad ping to? Just official Frankfurt ones, or are there others?

101 171
  • 16 Apr
 Sektor

@marox said:

@Sektor said:
I am on wired connection, yes. I have the best service provider of Greece

Which servers are you getting bad ping to? Just official Frankfurt ones, or are there others?

I am getting bad ping on pretty much all EU servers. I get 80+ ping on the official one, the french duel one with the tourney map, and on the berserker one that I played a few days ago. Yesterday I managed to get ping to 68 but the official server had only like 5 people on. Also, seeing this I did some further testing on other games as well. Here are my results:

Mount and Blade - Mount and Siege server located in Germany, 200 slot server. It had about 160 people on. 63 ping
Mercenaries mod server (mount and blade) central europe - 100 slot server, 50 people. 62 ping
Battlefield 1 - official Frankfurt server, 64 players slot - full server, 59 ping
Overwatch - Official EU - 54 ping
CSGO competitive matchmaking on a friend's account (EU) - 48 ping

I have tried: Replacing ethernet cable, restarting router, anti virus scan, internet optimization including LEATRIX fix, proper registry edits, reinstalling mordhau, verifying the game, deleting cache. My location is Athens, Greece. service provider is OTE, I am on a fast path connection. I really do not know what else to try, the bad ping only happens within Mordhau.

Knight 755 3279
  • 16 Apr
 Mittsies

I also get bad ping specifically in Mordhau (might be related to temporary low-quality servers during the alpha).

If I do ping-tests to various servers in New York, I get around 56~60ms ping, but the Mordhau official New York server I get 68~72ms with occasional ping spikes of 80+ (especially when there's a lot of people in the server). This seems to be true for private servers too, though I don't know the exact locations so I cannot say for sure, but my pings definitely feel higher in Mordhau than any other game.

Knight 39 111

@Mittsies said:
I also get bad ping specifically in Mordhau.
but my pings definitely feel higher in Mordhau than any other game.

It happens to me too, since Chivalry (and now with Mordhau) where I had 20+ ping compared to other games like Battlefield series where I get around 36 ping with 64 players or Csgo 24-44 to mention a pair. Truly disgusting taking into account how important good connection is in this game.

Knight 755 3279
  • 16 Apr
 Mittsies

I just assumed all of the NA servers were cheap / low-quality ones, and that when the game is released we'll have good servers that won't have connection issues. Because aside from ping, I also experience significant packet loss on most of these servers.

1307 2875
  • 16 Apr
 Monsteri

One thing to keep in mind is whether a game includes the delay caused by server tickrate in the ping total or not. At a tickrate of 60 the server will take up to 16ms to send your packets around. I believe that in CS:GO, for example, the ping displayed on the scoreboard takes this into account, but the ping displayed in the net graph does not, hence it consistently being a bit lower than the ping on the scoreboard.

You can't really make a fair comparison without knowing whether the other games do this.

101 171
  • 16 Apr
 Sektor

That is understandable but playing with 80 ping puts you into a significant disadvantage against 40-50 ping players. It would be cool if we could play with better ping, id be happy with 55-60.

985 6954
  • 16 Apr
 marox — Project Lead

@Monsteri said:
One thing to keep in mind is whether a game includes the delay caused by server tickrate in the ping total or not. At a tickrate of 60 the server will take up to 16ms to send your packets around. I believe that in CS:GO, for example, the ping displayed on the scoreboard takes this into account, but the ping displayed in the net graph does not, hence it consistently being a bit lower than the ping on the scoreboard.

You can't really make a fair comparison without knowing whether the other games do this.

This. The value seen in Mordhau is not ping, but rather latency, which is ping + any frame/processing delays. We could display raw ping as some games do, but that's not very helpful for anything in particular. Most UE4/3 games do it this way, best comparisons ideally would be with other UE4 games.

101 171
  • 16 Apr
 Sektor

So, technically i'm fucked. lol

Count 1464 952

@King Sinclair The FluffyDragon said:

This^ what It was like playing on east coast server when you live on west coast.

King 2414 3379

@Lord Commander Guts said:

@King Sinclair The FluffyDragon said:

This^ what It was like playing on east coast server when you live on west coast.

that's what its like for me playing fucking local servers

Knight 365 628
  • 19 Apr
 Snake Skin

When will Triternion get server upgrades then?

101 171
  • 19 Apr
 Sektor

With release, they confirmed it on reddit

King 2414 3379

Will there be changes to player server or hosting services upon release?

(Besides actually having people in them?)

6 8
 hauser

I also keep getting consistently higher ping than what I should have. I live in Norway. When the official EU servers on the server browser display 50-80 ping, I go into them, and instead I fluctuate between 80 and 180 ping. On the worst occasions, I basically get crippled into 1000+ ping. Sometimes the game also reports packet loss. There is no reason why it would be like that, and other multiplayer games work perfectly fine.