Mordhau

Modifying the way of blocking?

3 1
What do you think?
Votes: 8

Hey,

I was asking myself if the current blocking will be kept as it is?

I thought about something like that:

Make us able to hold the blocks as long as we want. While blocking it decreases stamina and as soon as we reach X stamina we can't hold blocks anymore, only trigger them for the time like it is currently.

When a hit is blocked, the block releases.

It's only an idea & suggestion out of my personal experience & other games I played.
It would be easier for newbies to get into the game against high-level players who kinda "spam"-hit / feint / morph.

I'm just a bit worried about the current way, maybe a lot of new players, when the release is there, will not keep playing it because they just lose the feel to be able to learn or master the game.

Knight 552 964
  • 13 Apr
 Uncy

@Infravider.comDominicIllu said:
[poll name=1]

What do you think?

1. Good Idea
  2. Bad Idea
    [/poll]

Hey,

I was asking myself if the current blocking will be kept as it is?

I thought about something like that:

Make us able to hold the blocks as long as we want. While blocking it decreases stamina and as soon as we reach X stamina we can't hold blocks anymore, only trigger them for the time like it is currently.

When a hit is blocked, the block releases.

It's only an idea & suggestion out of my personal experience & other games I played.
It would be easier for newbies to get into the game against high-level players who kinda "spam"-hit / feint / morph.

I'm just a bit worried about the current way, maybe a lot of new players, when the release is there, will not keep playing it because they just lose the feel to be able to learn or master the game.

Bro.

Knight 184 525
Knight 1124 3219
  • 13 Apr
 Frise

This has been discussed ad-nauseum on these forums for years. The currenty parry system works better than held block. If you want to learn about why that is, use the search function to find the docens of threads proposing your exact idea. Shields already have held blocks, and this has made them mind-bogglingly boring to play with and against.

Duke 2255 3951
  • 13 Apr
 Huggles

Easy defense = bad and boring

Mercenary 151 531
  • 14 Apr
 Stauxie

Having a held block by default would kill the game almost instantly. One of the most agreed upon unfun things in the game right now is shield. Shield has held block and has the common complaint of being boring to fight.

As Huggles said.

@Huggles said:
Easy defense = bad and boring

Having a substantial skill gap and high skill ceiling is what keeps the game alive not only casually, but competitively. Understandably it doesn't feel good to die 30/30 times to a veteran who has already but in 100x the amount of playtime as you have. But, believe the active players, held block would be horrid.

1021 5785
  • 14 Apr
 crushed — Art

Ironically having held block for everyone would make the game harder for noobs because while they can get in a lucky hit with timed block, they would have a much harder time to do so with held block.

Knight 1904 3364
  • 14 Apr
 Runagate

If the combat system was direction-based instead of timing-based, this could be considered. However as the current mechanics are pretty much 90% timing this would make no sense.

It's also why shields (held blocks) are problematic to balance. They go against the basics of the current combat, because they more or less make modifying timings with decels and accels useless.

3 1

thanks for the input, it is clarifying.