Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Is this really going to be the final state of combat?

Knight 2608 6921
  • 23 Apr '19
 Rattsknecht

I know I've been complaining for the last 2 years but at this point I don't even know if I wanna play the Souls franchise when it's released. Games are horrible. Really not much RPG about it, it's super linear and repetetive. The fighting system is clunky and unresponsive, and it is not hard in a way that the game actually has intelligent AI or requires planning in any way. What makes it "hard" is again, the clunky combat. All Bosses are pretty much the same, you just roll arround until they are in their "vulnurable" phase, and then attack the shit out of them until they start swinging again. Repeat that for some minutes and you've got all your bossfights in a nutshell. Normal enemies are really just boring trash that are just there for the sake of being there. They serve no purpose other than keeping the player busy between the bosses. Infact, all Souls games are exactly the same. Merely a reskin of one another, with somewhat updated graphics. They play the same otherwise. The whole franchise really is targetet towards children that heard stories about "hard games" from their older siblings / parents. They want to be part of that aswell but fail to realize that games back then weren't hard in a frustrating way, but in a challenging one. How sad is that?

Knight 1269 3811
  • 23 Apr '19
 Frise

@Snake Skin said:

@hunnidblunts said:
I know I've been complaining for the last 2 years but at this point I don't even know if I wanna play Mordhau when it's released. I barely played it in the alpha/beta and even though I used to be super enthusiastic about this game, the combat simply is no fun for me. Overall I had way more fun with the broken piece of shit called Chivalry.
Instead of adding 1000 different mechanics, the Mordhau devs should have sticked to the basics but put the time and effort into making them as balanced and fun as possible. Chivalry has more depth than Mordhau and is more fun. How sad is that?

At the moment Mordhau plays smoother than Chiv ever has.
Elaborate yourself.

Mordhau plays smoother, has better netcode and better animations. If you exclude all that and focus on the gameplay aspect, Chivalry simply was more fun; there were more things to do. Just look at the EU tournament highlights. Even Chivalry's poleaxe feint fests were more entertaining to watch.

Baron 1647 5233
  • 23 Apr '19
 Lincs

@Snake Skin said:
At the moment Mordhau plays smoother than Chiv ever has.
Elaborate yourself.

I know I've been complaining for the last 2 years but at this point I don't even know if I wanna play Mordhau when it's released. I barely played it in the alpha/beta and even though I used to be super enthusiastic about this game, the combat simply is no fun for me. Overall I had way more fun with the broken piece of shit called Chivalry. Instead of adding 1000 different mechanics, the Mordhau devs should have sticked to the basics but put the time and effort into making them as balanced and fun as possible. Chivalry has more depth than Mordhau and is more fun. How sad is that?

Knight 936 952
  • 23 Apr '19
 afiNity

Is this a meme now

Knight 58 78
  • 23 Apr '19
 男の娘

Mordhau plays smoother, has better netcode and better animations. If you exclude all that and focus on the gameplay aspect, Chivalry simply was more fun; there were more things to do. Just look at the EU tournament highlights. Even Chivalry's poleaxe feint fests were more entertaining to watch.

Knight 685 1855
  • 23 Apr '19
 ÐMontyleGueux

Frise said:
there were more things to do.

Right, let's ignore all the new combat mechanics and all the extra content (building, character creation, horse combat, etc). I have no idea how you can even say chivalry had more things to do...

162 125
  • 23 Apr '19
 Schwarzchild

I know I've been complaining for the last 2 years but at this point I don't even know if I wanna play Mordhau when it's released. I barely played it in the alpha/beta and even though I used to be super enthusiastic about this game, the combat simply is no fun for me. Overall I had way more fun with the broken piece of shit called Chivalry. Instead of adding 1000 different mechanics, the Mordhau devs should have sticked to the basics but put the time and effort into making them as balanced and fun as possible. Chivalry has more depth than Mordhau and is more fun. How sad is that?

Knight 1269 3811
  • 23 Apr '19
 Frise

@ÐMontyleGueux said:

Frise said:

Right, let's ignore all the new combat mechanics and all the extra content (building, character creation, horse combat, etc). I have no idea how you can even say chivalry had more things to do...

We're talking about the combat here. Specifically serious competitive play. Customization and the frontline/casual mechanics are besides the point.

The new combat mechanics are morphs, chambers and clashes. Clashes are barely relevant to serious play and are simply a better alternative to trades. They don't give you something new to do. Morphs are just mini-feints. Chambers are now just something you need to do to not read ridiculous stab feints. They are a justification for lazy feint balance and contribute to gambly gameplay. Sidestabs and sidedrags are irrelevant in serious play. And all weapons play out the same way. Weapon viability in duels is minimal compared to chivalry. Anything other than 332 is overshadowed.

162 125
  • 24 Apr '19
 Schwarzchild

@Frise said:

@ÐMontyleGueux said:

Frise said:

We're talking about the combat here. Specifically serious competitive play. Customization and the frontline/casual mechanics are besides the point.

The new combat mechanics are morphs, chambers and clashes. Clashes are barely relevant to serious play and are simply a better alternative to trades. They don't give you something new to do. Morphs are just mini-feints. Chambers are now just something you need to do to not read ridiculous stab feints. They are a justification for lazy feint balance and contribute to gambly gameplay. Sidestabs and sidedrags are irrelevant in serious play. And all weapons play out the same way. Weapon viability in duels is minimal compared to chivalry. Anything other than 332 is overshadowed.

162 125
102 322
  • 26 Apr '19
 chaquator

i definitely think having more unique and varied animations for different kinds of weapons would improve the variety and enjoyment of the combat. modifications like no-combo weapons dont really cut it, it feels too low effort.
right now though, as the game is gearing for release, i get the feeling that the devs have to focus on putting out more content for the masses to enjoy (more frontline maps, team objective, etc) and put combat changes on the backburner until release has settled. from the various threads on /v/ ive seen about mordhau, most people are disillusioned with chivalry's bs, and many make allusions to m&b, which put into perspective for me just how hyper-focused on combat mordhau is compared to similar games.

Knight 281 725
  • 27 Apr '19
 Iodine

I hope there will be swords in this game

Knight 936 952
  • 1 May '19
 afiNity

Ok I lied, frontline is fun.