Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Is this really going to be the final state of combat?

9 24
  • 17 Apr '19
 Meph

I dislike the old chambers, it forced people to drag a bit every attack and in the end nobody was chambering anything but the stabs.

Knight 697 1611
  • 17 Apr '19
 das

Also, forgot that one of the biggest difficulties in 1vX is that, with non-hitstop weapons, your attacks cleave through and are still in active release after hitting someone.

How about this: pressing feint while in release AND after hitting someone stops your release. This prevents you from comboing (it will look like a hitstop weapon halting upon hit) and you'd have to wait until strike recovery timing to queue up your next attack. However, this also removes turncap, returning you to normal sensitivity so you can aim your parry.

This would also have the double bonus of being able to halt your giant Execzweihalb LMB if you want to hit one guy but stop it before it cleaves into your teammate as well.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 17 Apr '19
 Frise

Are you not already able to cancel your attack in release after you hit someone? I think that's already in the game

Duke 5558 13284
  • 17 Apr '19
 Jax — Community Manager

@das said:
Also, forgot that one of the biggest difficulties in 1vX is that, with non-hitstop weapons, your attacks cleave through and are still in active release after hitting someone.

How about this: pressing feint while in release AND after hitting someone stops your release. This prevents you from comboing (it will look like a hitstop weapon halting upon hit) and you'd have to wait until strike recovery timing to queue up your next attack. However, this also removes turncap, returning you to normal sensitivity so you can aim your parry.

This would also have the double bonus of being able to halt your giant Execzweihalb LMB if you want to hit one guy but stop it before it cleaves into your teammate as well.

I've been bothering crush about this for a while, he wants it.

@Frise said:
Are you not already able to cancel your attack in release after you hit someone? I think that's already in the game

You can but it's an instant ftp. What das is referring to will help teamfights, but also being able to hit-cancel will allow you to time parries better in 1vX. Right now if you hit an enemy you can go into parry by hitting rmb, but you have to do this during the release period. If you wait and end up in recovery you'll get hit, and most times in 1vX you're not going to have good timing to do that. Being able to go into a recovery that stops your release and returns you to idle while allowing you to parry at any point after the cancel would be great. (no attacking during that though, purely defensive)

Knight 697 1611
  • 17 Apr '19
 das

I've been told that the challenge with insta turncap removal is making it look good animations-wise.

What if instead of outright instant-turncap removal, it just halves it during the time period where it would look too spazzy, and be 0turncap the instant it wouldn't look weird anymore, kind of a compromise.

And/or parrying after landing a successful parry/hit doesn't get normal parry turncap, so you can aim the hell out of that second parry (and it'd convert into revenge parry too). A no turncap parry.

162 125
  • 18 Apr '19
 Schwarzchild

@Jax said:

@das said:

I've been bothering crush about this for a while, he wants it.

@Frise said:

You can but it's an instant ftp. What das is referring to will help teamfights, but also being able to hit-cancel will allow you to time parries better in 1vX. Right now if you hit an enemy you can go into parry by hitting rmb, but you have to do this during the release period. If you wait and end up in recovery you'll get hit, and most times in 1vX you're not going to have good timing to do that. Being able to go into a recovery that stops your release and returns you to idle while allowing you to parry at any point after the cancel would be great. (no attacking during that though, purely defensive)

implement asap

Knight 519 999
  • 18 Apr '19
 wierHL

lel

yep.PNG

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 18 Apr '19
 vanguard

@Frise said:

@vanguard said:
Personally I didn't liked it because it made highly subtle unreadable drags absolutely necessary to do all the time to avoid getting chambered.

IF ONLY THAT POINT HAD BEEN DISCUSSED IN THIS SAME THREAD

Shut ur fuck up Frise let me express myself!

Knight 1269 3811
  • 18 Apr '19
 Frise

have ya'll seen the EU tournament duels? Most players, and specifically Giru, who won, never even bothered to do horizontals or uppercuts. The amount of variety in the combat was sad to watch.

162 125
  • 18 Apr '19
 Schwarzchild

@Frise said:
have ya'll seen the EU tournament duels? Most players, and specifically Giru, who won, never even bothered to do horizontals or uppercuts. The amount of variety in the combat was sad to watch.

it was ehh but yeah it needs more variety because it kinda bored me with the back and foward with stale accels and decels.

1920 968

@Frise said:
What if, and hear me out on this one, you just tried it anyway and rolled a mini patch out with it. Isn't it better to actually see how a change plays out instead of speculating? It's the alpha, it's precisely the time to try dumb shit.

Thank you, this is what I've been saying.

Complex systems like this are hard to predict and speculate on. Better to just try out very different kinds of builds. Maybe even on multiple different servers. Or better, maybe give players the ability to change settings in the combat and experiment for themselves. And who's ever got the most popular settings, just implement that. I once got to play Mordhau in slow mo on a server, and it was actually very fun and interesting as it allowed me to test things from the combat system at a much higher level of fidelity than I would have been able to otherwise. Just from that, I was able to note multiple small changes I wanted to test that I felt would make the game much better.

• 19 Apr '19
 EruTheTeapot
This comment was deleted.
367 341
  • 22 Apr '19
 Peacerer

Im greatly saddened by the insultingly implementation of archery. Developers obviously put so little love into implementation. It's like they pooped on ranged players.

Although, somehow i understand them, well at least try to understand them, they already messed with shields, trying to fix them for like two years without any major success. So with archery they have most likely just decided to make them shitty from start. In this way developers don't have to bother with 2h elitists uprising. Its easier to bend over than do it the right way.

I would invite developers to play archery for like 20 minutes. It would not require any longer playtime to realize (incase they haven't already known before) how badly they created it.

Knight 337 778
  • 22 Apr '19
 AngelEyes

The only thing wrong with archers is there’s no damage scaling based on draw time so they can just twang like cupid

Baron 1647 5233
  • 22 Apr '19
 Lincs

@Peacerer said:
Im greatly saddened by the insultingly implementation of archery. Developers obviously put so little love into implementation. It's like they pooped on ranged players.

No, it's me. I pooped on the ranged players. I'm sorry I couldn't hold it any more

Knight 936 952
  • 23 Apr '19
 afiNity

I know I've been complaining for the last 2 years but at this point I don't even know if I wanna play Mordhau when it's released. I barely played it in the alpha/beta and even though I used to be super enthusiastic about this game, the combat simply is no fun for me. Overall I had way more fun with the broken piece of shit called Chivalry.
Instead of adding 1000 different mechanics, the Mordhau devs should have sticked to the basics but put the time and effort into making them as balanced and fun as possible. Chivalry has more depth than Mordhau and is more fun. How sad is that?

Knight 15 27
  • 23 Apr '19
 hunnidblunts

I know I've been complaining for the last 2 years but at this point I don't even know if I wanna play Mordhau when it's released. I barely played it in the alpha/beta and even though I used to be super enthusiastic about this game, the combat simply is no fun for me. Overall I had way more fun with the broken piece of shit called Chivalry.
Instead of adding 1000 different mechanics, the Mordhau devs should have sticked to the basics but put the time and effort into making them as balanced and fun as possible. Chivalry has more depth than Mordhau and is more fun. How sad is that?

Mercenary 2193 3914
  • 23 Apr '19
 EruTheTeapot

Knight 366 630
  • 23 Apr '19
 Snake Skin

@hunnidblunts said:

At the moment Mordhau plays smoother than Chiv ever has.
Elaborate yourself.

Knight 936 952
  • 23 Apr '19
 afiNity

?