Mordhau

Why do helmets have the same speed debuffs as torso?

Knight 103 267
  • 4 Apr '19
 GAYFISH

I understand why head armor weighs a lot more than legs, but not why head and chest weigh exactly the same.
Chest armor objectively gives more survivability than helmets, so why not make torso armor moderately heavier than helmets?

Knight 766 3320
  • 4 Apr '19
 Mittsies

Armor balance should be much deeper than a simple point cost and movement penalties.

530 282
  • 4 Apr '19
 Christian2222

@Mittsies said:
Armor balance should be much deeper than a simple point cost and movement penalties.

I would suggest a type of deflect game mechanic based on where the sword hits the rounded part of the helmet, etc, but no one wants any of my interesting ideas on this forum apparently.

Duchess 6895 9870
  • 4 Apr '19
 Sir Zombie

Yeah that is a bad idea

Duke 5545 13265
  • 4 Apr '19
 Jax — Community Manager

head is harder to hit, but headshots deal much more damage than chest hits. so even though they work a bit differently, they're about equal in terms of importance - therefore they have the same movespeed penalty

Knight 445 1074
  • 4 Apr '19
 Knight Nicholas

@Christian2222 said:

@Mittsies said:

I would suggest a type of deflect game mechanic based on where the sword hits the rounded part of the helmet, etc, but no one wants any of my interesting ideas on this forum apparently.

Later-period armor would become uncontested meta and combat would become over-complicated. Your enthusiasm is appreciated though, keep sprinkling out ideas and you might come up with some good ones.

Knight 103 267
  • 5 Apr '19
 GAYFISH

@Jax said:
head is harder to hit, but headshots deal much more damage than chest hits. so even though they work a bit differently, they're about equal in terms of importance - therefore they have the same movespeed penalty

They're simply not equal in importance, there's a reason everyone runs 2/3/1 armor instead of 3/2/1.
It's because the time to kill is so quick regardless of where you get hit, which is why torso armor is objectively better and is why it should be heavier.

530 282
  • 5 Apr '19
 Christian2222

I have to give this community props for not just being about realism, I have always believed gameplay > realism. Maybe there is hope for you guys yet :) I threw in a realism idea, and it got slammed.... I'm actually proud of you guys ^-^ maybe the future of gaming will not be so bad.

Keep putting these realism kiddies in their place.... gaming was never about realism, that is just some new strange concept people are throwing out there, and failing to implement correctly. Games are supposed to be fun :)

Knight 103 267
  • 5 Apr '19
 GAYFISH

@Christian2222 said:
I have to give this community props for not just being about realism, I have always believed gameplay > realism. Maybe there is hope for you guys yet :) I threw in a realism idea, and it got slammed.... I'm actually proud of you guys ^-^ maybe the future of gaming will not be so bad.

Keep putting these realism kiddies in their place.... gaming was never about realism, that is just some new strange concept people are throwing out there, and failing to implement correctly. Games are supposed to be fun :)

People might take you more seriously if you weren't being so condescending and arrogant.
Or maybe if you actually played the game, that'd probably help.

Knight 54 55
  • 5 Apr '19
 Kobilic

@Christian2222 said:

I would consider 2 neutral and 1 positive response as an achievement considering how many people there are in these forums who actually take pleasure in upsetting and disrespecting those who think or play a game differently than the majority of players. On that note: I would argue the problem is not in a lack of players who share the vision of realism, but rather a large number of players wanting the game to narrow the range of optimal builds so that only the ones similar to their own style/build remain.

Knight 337 777
  • 5 Apr '19
 AngelEyes

There’s no evidence for those people being in the majority Milosh, they might be the loudest? The moist tryhards might only seem in the majority, but that’s to be expected given we’re playing a closed crowdfunded test to the successor of an already niche game/genre.

Mordhau is about as realistic as CoD. We’ve known this since Marox made the first devblog, anyone still talking about it is 3 years late.

Knight 54 55
  • 5 Apr '19
 Kobilic

@AngelEyes said:
There’s no evidence for those people being in the majority Milosh, they might be the loudest? The moist tryhards might only seem in the majority, but that’s to be expected given we’re playing a closed crowdfunded test to the successor of an already niche game/genre.

Mordhau is about as realistic as CoD. We’ve known this since Marox made the first devblog, anyone still talking about it is 3 years late.

I never did say they were in the majority only that there are enough of them to have a bad idea met by 2 neutral and 1 positive comments a pretty good and uncommon outcome one should be happy with: not upset about. Aye there's truth in what you say.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 6 Apr '19
 Huggles

People who are very good at a game are generally resistant to changes that they do not believe will make them better at the game. Especially if they have the potential to be huge departures from the meta.

They also have a predisposition to think any style of play that significantly differs from their own is "cheesy" or "broken."

530 282
  • 6 Apr '19
 Christian2222

@Huggles said:
People who are very good at a game are generally resistant to changes that they do not believe will make them better at the game. Especially if they have the potential to be huge departures from the meta.

They also have a predisposition to think any style of play that significantly differs from their own is "cheesy" or "broken."

So much truth. You are the great philosopher.