Mordhau

[Poll] Remove third person

Knight 1269 3804
  • 1 Apr
 Frise

Ah yes, lists "the arguments" but ignores all the ones that he can't argue against.

Knight 685 1851

3rd person enable the very moves Mordhau was made to get rid of over chivalry. It's easy to duck, matrix and spin around with it, 3rd person players always look odd and out of place. I would bet more people would be offput by the way 3p players generally play than people who would be offput by the lack of it.

Counter arguments like "can't see shit on the catapult" can be easily fixed by forcing to 3rd when in a catapult (just like chivalry did).

Sellsword 681 2146
  • 1 Apr
 Goof

Switching between points of view does not alter turncap, you can still spin in first person, but not that it matters because it only ends with a thud

Baron 2357 3387
  • 2 Apr
 Xekratos

Don't know how many times I've chased someone around a corner and they 3rd person to swing the second I get close to the corner which they wouldn't have been able to see me if not for 3rd person view. It's bullshit. Get rid of it.

Baron 128 295
  • 2 Apr
 2cool2care

@Christian2222 said:
So you are telling me 90% of people use 1rst person...... and yet they all think 3rd person is ''OP''' I don't think so. if 3rd person was OP 90% of people would be using 3rd person.

Lets see how many people have the capacity to follow my logic here.

we're all too dumb man but i think you can create a "misunderstood geniuses" guild with peacerer

Knight 2230 4004
  • 2 Apr
 Runagate

@Peacerer said:

@Christian2222 said:
So you are telling me 90% of people use 1rst person...... and yet they all think 3rd person is ''OP''' I don't think so. if 3rd person was OP 90% of people would be using 3rd person.

You will get used to 2h elitists' hypocrisy.

Such a pity developers listen to a handful of self-interested youngsters. It's like they want Mordhau to stay mediocre for a niche audience.

Look at this guy, thinking he is gandalf at like 35 years old

Conscript 652 1460

My sources inform me, that Runagate is 13 yo

Knight 2230 4004
  • 2 Apr
 Runagate

Dude you can't just expose me like that now Peacerer is gonna bully me :(

Knight 918 2523
 Pred

Still better to be an actual 13 year old rather than an adult who behaves like a 13 year old amirite

Knight 2230 4004
 Runagate

Either way 3rd person is a pretty stupid feature for Mordhau. It makes reading just that much easier when you see attacks more or less from above where a video game's inherent lack of depth perception doesn't matter as much and you can more clearly see body movement of the opponent. Range is similarly also way easier to judge. Dragging also becomes simpler when you can see almost all of your attack arc.

It's not even useful for looking at your fashion, you can barely see below your waist and obviously can't see your front where most of the cool stuff is anyway.

I'd much rather have a 3rd person mode specifically for looking at yourself that stops you from being able to attack but gives you full 360° visibility of your player model. It should also have some cooldown for before you can attack after going back to 1st from it to decrease exploitability.

Knight 5096 6836

@Runagate said:
I'd much rather have a 3rd person mode specifically for looking at yourself that stops you from being able to attack but gives you full 360° visibility of your player model. It should also have some cooldown for before you can attack after going back to 1st from it to decrease exploitability.

Or give a preview function to the armory so people can fap at their loadouts all they want and then be satiated for when joining a match.

Knight 252 688

3rd person removal should reside on private server owners.To remove it this late into development for its abuses seems rather out of place considering balancing has centered around 1st and 3rd for quite some Time. The only thing you Gain to achieve from this is to further alienate a small community of players. 3rd person is not the sole reason for spinning “chivalry styled” moves, its the game mechanics that currently exist in game.

Knight 685 1851

@MrGhostTheFlyingFlail said:
3rd person is not the sole reason for spinning “chivalry styled” moves, its the game mechanics that currently exist in game.

3rd person makes them worth it though. No one playing in 1st uses retarded spinny moves cause at 130 fov it's a quite risky move that isn't worth it. But if you can see around you they are much easier to do.

12 23
  • 2 Apr
 Balerion

Limiting options to players is a bad thing in my opinion. Chivalry had 3rd person, and did just fine. The competitive scene was pretty much handled exclusively on 1st Person Only Servers, and there were still several (probably more players in the early days) that played on 3rd person enabled servers. Realism is great. I'll give you that. For me though, playing in 1st person more often than not gave me severe motion sickness and made me want to barf. Its not quite as it were in 1st person shooters. Sword slashers movement is constant, and while I envy many of you who have a stronger equilibrium and stomach than I, I'd prefer to still have my place playing in this game. I'm all for first person only servers, as they exist in Chivalry. Problem solved for both people - those that prefer the realism aspect, and those that enjoy 3rd person. No need to limit options to one set of players, which Triterion will absolutely never do. Better to find a common ground that makes both sets of players happy.

Knight 1269 3804
  • 2 Apr
 Frise

@Balerion said:
Limiting options to players is a bad thing in my opinion. Chivalry had 3rd person, and did just fine.

Yea not like spinning ballerinas that could attack you while looking away from you were a big factor in driving new players away from the game

Sellsword 681 2146
  • 2 Apr
 Goof

@Frise said:

@Balerion said:
Limiting options to players is a bad thing in my opinion. Chivalry had 3rd person, and did just fine.

Yea not like spinning ballerinas that could attack you while looking away from you were a big factor in driving new players away from the game

They did that in 1st person too.

This whole argument makes no sense.

395 451

I think 3p should stay but give servers the option to turn off or on.

367 340
  • 2 Apr
 Peacerer

Yeah, nerf shields, limit (crappy implemented) archers/server, remove 3P.. keep making game smaller.

Sellsword 681 2146
  • 3 Apr
 Goof

@Goof said:

@Frise said:

@Balerion said:

Also you can't ballerina and deal damage effectively because it just 'thuds' and deals no damage. (Keep in mind anything you can do in 3rd person you can also do in 1st person. The animations and mechanics don't change at all. The only difference is the point of view.)

So what is the issue here?

All the only reason I'm seeing here to remove 3rd person is because you don't like it.

Knight 685 1851

@Goof said:

@Goof said:

@Frise said:

@Balerion said:

Also you can't ballerina and deal damage effectively because it just 'thuds' and deals no damage. (Keep in mind anything you can do in 3rd person you can also do in 1st person. The animations and mechanics don't change at all. The only difference is the point of view.)

That's where you're wrong. A good chunk of your release happen off screen and fov is restricted so that it stays that way. The game is built around the concept that you're taking a risk by dragging to the extreme because you're essencially aiming to hit something off screen. Your opponent can move aside and cause a miss. with 3p all this is gone because you can follow your opponent and land drags with pinpoint accuracy. I'm not saying they should remove the fov restriction here but it's not very logical to restrict the fov and at the same time provide 3p perspective to bypass it.

About the glancing blow, it deals damage now, and it doesn't happen if you spin the other way "turning where your attack came from".