Mordhau

Should BR be changed to 3-man squads?

Knight 925 2541
  • 4 Apr
 Pred

@Stouty said:
Predator, you realise there will be other noobs at release right?

Yes, but single-life game mode might be a bad first impression for people who play a melee game for the first time, though I would mostly blame Mordhau's extremely noob-unfriendly mechanics and speed rather than the mode itself. Many people will go first into BR (as it's familiar to them), it would probably make for a better impression if they first experience le big medieval battle epicness where you can be impressed by the atmosphere, brutality and Deus Vult rather than immediately get too close of a look into 1v1 ugliness.

Duchess 774 3449
  • 4 Apr
 Stouty

noob pattern predictions/fan-fiction is not a good reason to remove the most popular mode of the current gaming zeitgeist

Knight 925 2541
  • 4 Apr
 Pred

@Stouty said:
noob pattern predictions/fan-fiction is not a good reason to remove the most popular mode of the current gaming zeitgeist

That is exactly the worrying thing - the hottest game mode ever is also the worst one that Mordhau has to offer.

17 49
  • 4 Apr
 Rhike

Fortnite launched with Solo mode only. It is going to be 100% acceptable to do the same, just make sure to communicate that you're adding squads shortly after release. Okay? Communication.

If you're arguing for squads before release, there is no common ground. The devs simply can't do it. But adding it after release and mentioning that you will do it should be a top priority. It's one of the best things to do to improve the game and increase post day 1 sales at this point.

Conscript 76 108

I want both. I'd love to group with players and ride to victory together. But also queueing solo and winning that way amounts to a greater accomplishment. You can't be carried.

Mercenary 2188 3902

I think BR with squads would need bigger maps to be comfy in. Current maps for Solo BR is okay I guess but with squads, they are too small.

Mercenary 1122 2057

Ever since it first was brought up, I've said that I don't think BR should be in Mordhau and that hasn't really changed. My concern is that when it is done right, it will overshadow the other game modes, and when it's done badly it will just eat up development time and money. Either way I won't be happy with the outcome. I guess it's too far in development to back out now.

I don't think 3 person squads will make it more exciting or fix any of the concerns I have with the mode. I would prefer to see all development resources be focussed on perfecting Frontline and polishing the rest of the game.

Knight 762 3296
  • 10 Apr
 Mittsies

Don't get me wrong: I had a lot of fun with Mordhau's BR, it created situations that I had never seen before, simply because it required people to get crafty in order to win. It's not a bad mode, but it's far from polished, and would rather see this mode get introduced in patch sometime after release rather than pushing it out immediately and trying to pretend like its one of the main modes / selling points of Mordhau.

Wait times will kill this mode. Apex and Fortnight have wait times of around 10 seconds after finding a server with matchmaking. Not only does MordBR have a lobby wait time of 60 seconds, it's also slower to fill a server in the first place because there are going to be way less players than Apex and Fortnight. Mordhau is going to be far more frustrating than a typical shooter BR due to most players being inexperienced with melee slashers, so combined with a long wait time between games it'll be a miserable experience for most noobs.

Random spawns are a half-assed way of doing things. I understand the developers don't have enough time to implement something more creative, but again that's why I think BR should be temporarily removed until they have time to polish it sometime after release. It's possible to get some really ugly spawn positions where your only real option is to run away from the people near you who are going to get weapons first, and you may end up just running into someone else with a weapon instead. The dungeon spawns are especially fucked.

Looting is uninteresting. Pretty much any non-peasant 2h weapon will do just fine, because almost every engagement is going to be a 1 on 1 duel. Although it seems exciting to get a big drop like a Halberd or Zweihander early on, a good dueling weapon like Longsword is genuinely one of the best drops you can get. Armor is uninteresting because once you get it, that's it: it doesn't degrade. Loot distribution is also fucked, even after the second weekend test. Inventory management requires dropping and picking items back up currently.

Duchess 774 3449
  • 10 Apr
 Stouty

long wait times due to playercount

a complete guess that will probably be hilariously wrong

1 minute is too long to wait but you also want to slow down every game with an elaborate choose your spawn feature hm...

wanting degraded armour in a 5 minute mode interbedestn.....