Mordhau

Frontline Camp is an atmospherically boring map

Knight 1388 3162

It's a sunny day in a large open field during noon
It's not an interesting lighting environment

There's no interesting atmospheric effects like fog or rain
There is the distance haze, but it honestly does not look as good as I think was intended.

it's just, another boring day.

The map is well made, it's just,
visually boring

I feel like it'd look a lot better in the rain.

The large swathes of dirt are just asking to be turned into a muddy hellscape during an overcast rainy day

Conscript 191 477
  • 30 Mar
 Shovonem

To me, camp looks cool. However, it would be nice if the devs made different version of the same map. Like Rainy camp.. same map but there's a rain. or another camp with foggy weather etc. Since weather changing in the same map would put a lot of stress on performance.

105 684
  • 30 Mar
 Spook — UI

@Shovonem said:
To me, camp looks cool. However, it would be nice if the devs made different version of the same map. Like Rainy camp.. same map but there's a rain. or another camp with foggy weather etc. Since weather changing in the same map would put a lot of stress on performance.

This is something we'd like to do post-release in the future

Duke 552 937
  • 30 Mar
 Goatie

I'd say a night time battle with more of a blue tinge and torches layed about would be good. Would highlight the flaming trebuchets a bit more. It's just very gray atm, no blues or anything to make it all pop. Taiga is like a whole different game visuals wise.

201 402
  • 30 Mar
 serbish

i think taiga is the graphically most beautiful map they have yet. Some variation in weather is all they need for camp, it will keep the game interesting on repeat play sessions. especially night maps, altering your battle tactics to suit the weather will add a lot to frontline. would also be a good oppurtunity to add in offhand torches and flaming arrow type gear, with dynamic lights.

Conscript 4562 6301
  • 31 Mar
 vanguard

@SherbershLemel said:
i think taiga is the graphically most beautiful map they have yet. Some variation in weather is all they need for camp, it will keep the game interesting on repeat play sessions. especially night maps, altering your battle tactics to suit the weather will add a lot to frontline. would also be a good oppurtunity to add in offhand torches and flaming arrow type gear, with dynamic lights.

Am-I-A-Joke-to-You-Memes-696x400.jpg

Knight 1388 3162

I think you quoted the wrong person there, vanguard.

Conscript 4562 6301
  • 31 Mar
 vanguard

"...good oppurtunity to add in offhand torches and flaming arrow type gear, with dynamic lights."

Dynamic thing = fps is kill

201 402
  • 31 Mar
 serbish

@vanguard said:
"...good oppurtunity to add in offhand torches and flaming arrow type gear, with dynamic lights."

Dynamic thing = fps is kill

if we still struggle with a few dynamic lights in 2019 as pc gamers, how far have we really come

Conscript 191 477
  • 28 Apr
 Shovonem

Dude imagine Mountain Peak at night with northern light. That would be amazing.

25220952ed898984b7010c4c9564edd5-700.jpg

default.jpg

Empress 380 890
  • 28 Apr
 Soulcatcher

^ That would be incredible

Would be nice to see in the future variations of maps with different weather patterns.

Rain/fog/snow/overcast/clear/lightning/strong winds etc

Simple things like that really change the atmosphere of a match

30 42
  • 28 Apr
 Vaygr

I see the map as a "Grey day at work map" just as Battlegrounds from Chiv. The camp looks more colorful than the rest of the map. I am sure there are many ways of fixing it including fiddling with the mist/fog or time of day.

Duke 507 1198

This all makes me wet for custom maps

Knight 1388 3162

@Vaygr said:
I see the map as a "Grey day at work map" just as Battlegrounds from Chiv. The camp looks more colorful than the rest of the map. I am sure there are many ways of fixing it including fiddling with the mist/fog or time of day.

Chivalry's Battlegrounds took place under F A R more interesting lighting. That lighting played very nicely with the fog that map had.

Mordhau's Camp takes place at mid day, when it's super fucking bright, and the lighting is as generic as it could ever be. The background haze does not play nicely with the light either.

Yes, it's called haze on Camp, fog on Battlegrounds, granted you can't quite tell how far you can see so it could very well be classified as mist.. These are 3 different things.

TLDR
mist is moisture in the air, if you can't figure that out, I'm not sure what to tell you.
fog is mist dense enough to severely limit visibility at long range

haze is dust, smoke, or whatever other small solid shit is floating in the air, it gradually gets worse with distance as more and more light is blocked from reaching your eyes due to the larger amount of shit it has to go through.

they are 3 distinctly different visuals.

Camp has haze.

30 42
  • 29 Apr
 Vaygr

Haze covers fog, ice fog, steam fog, mist, haze, smoke, volcanic ash, dust, sand, and snow. There are rivers on both maps and the siege equipment and troop movements must account for some of the particles in the air which would make it dust and contribute to air pollution.
Never heard anyone defend Battlegrounds before, just years of people groaning over how boring it looks. I guess we could make a big poll or something and find out. I do like the blue shades of light mixed in with the grey on Battlegrounds and moving Camp to night with some nice lighting and having some torches and fires might save the thing from complete and utter damnation ( Sorry to whoever made it).
Perhaps we can make a Youtube series where we go into maps and speculate over what kind of atmospheric phenomenon are there and from what sources.

Knight 1388 3162

@Vaygr said:
Never heard anyone defend Battlegrounds before

oh in no way am I saying battlegrounds looks FANTASTIC AMAZING ART GENIUS

it is one of the least visually interesting maps in chivalry

But it is far less bland than Camp is.

Baron 1607 5105
  • 29 Apr
 Lincs

Camp as it was released in early alpha was so bright, vibrant and beautiful. Go back and check the pictures after converting to UE4 and the first dev log. The green grass was really green, the sky was really blue. It was an interesting contrast to the presence of pools of blood, corpses, and weapons of war.

So my question is... why the change?