Failed to join server

Is there a fix?

Conscript 5 4
  • 1 Apr
 Nash

So its over I guess?

Mercenary 2187 3902

@marox @Jax

How does the Dev team feel about stress tests btw ?

108 65
  • 1 Apr
 Kantrul

Release this game now or riot

Knight 1383 3152

HORDE MODE TEST 2 WHERE REEEEEEE

1090 1721
Knight 1383 3152

why.png

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Knight 2594 6885
Knight 2594 6885
Conscript 5 4
  • 1 Apr
 Nash

REEEEEEEEEE

Knight 5100 6842

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Count 238 267

A few things I noticed about Frontline and some possible issues.

1. cap points being linear - one of the issues is that there is no real flanking to recapture more distant locations because they are "locked" Might be interesting to see if they were all unlocked for capping to force a team to protect all captured points. This might help when the teams are not balanced and one side is getting purely stomped.

2. Balance issues and Balistas - I am one that do not see the balistas rate of fire an issue nor do I seen them as a problem with the one shot. Keep in mind that they do not do splash damage like they do in Chiv and only if you are very lucky can kill more than one person per shot. Also keep in mind that archers and smoke pots are quite effective against the balista. I think people are just pissed when they are fighting and get one shot by one. How is that any different than Chiv? It isnt.

My issues with the balista is that the Blue side can shoot into 2 capture points while Red side can only shoot into 1 effectively because there are buildings and obstacles. What could fix both of these issues is to widen Red's angle to include roughly the same amount of access to hitting The River cap point AND to increase the upper range to be able for both balistas can take out each other or at least kill the enemy on the opposite balista. Both of these would balance out the issues with them.

1. Horses - Ok everyone thinks they are a bit OP and the flinching of teammate when bumped into. I tend to somewhat agree but here is my take on them. One is that they are a bit too fast. I believe that this is being addressed. But my main issue is the number of stupid objects that the horse can run into that stops it dead in its tracks, like rocks and specially banners, which of course would be knocked over in reality. There is already enough crap on the battle field as it is, some of these stupid things should be removed or have no effect. Second, I think the rider needs a turn cap, not the horse but the rider. Being able to turn 180 on the horse is plain silly. It ends up getting players lost in which direction they are riding, thus they run into their teammates or the only banner or rock for 50+ yards. It also has issues when the horse does hit something and gets stuck, so if you are trying to fight on a stuck horse, you end up not being able to do anything because you are in a constant state of flinch.

2. Catapults - I have already addressed my issues with the catapult design and mechanics being wonky at best in previous posts. But my biggest issue is the effects the terrain has on the trajectory of the ammo. So if the cat is on a left or right incline the projectiles get launched many times going the opposite direction that the cat is leaning too taking out teammates or horrible missed shots. Yes that maybe a learning curve issue but I have also gotten the catapult stuck as well. This is why I preferred stationary cats with aim-able sites for better range and control. Also being mounted to the cats is always an issue when but again these are my preferences.

3. This may already have been noted but one of the fallen siege towers by the river cap point, once knocked down does not always remain visible at times.

That is about it for now.

2 0

@Stumpy said:
I got like 40 fps at around 45 players at lowest graphics.

I got an
Amd fx-8350 4ghz 8 core
Gtx 980 4gb
16gb ram
Game installed on ssd
2560x1440 asus rog swift 27" screen

Any ideas what hardware i should change in order to achieve 100+ fps?

How are your builds and what fps do you have?

You definitely have a CPU bottleneck, I had an fx-8320 for a few years and it would perform okay most of the time. But, games that were hard on the CPU would tank. Spent a long time messing with overclocking and single/multi-core usage with no result. Eventually just switched to Intel, and all was dandy.

Knight 685 1851

@Stumpy said:

I got an
Amd fx-8350 4ghz 8 core
Gtx 980 4gb
16gb ram
Game installed on ssd

I recommend looking at your task manager while playing to get a good idea of which hardware is limiting you.

taskmanager.jpg

in this example you can tell the gpu isn't at its maximum capacity while one of the threads is tanking hard : cpu bottleneck

Duke 341 973

An i7-8700K running at 5Ghz should not be a bottleneck for any modern game - I think what we're seeing here is poor optimization from Mordhau that depends heavily on CPU usage.

Count 238 267

@Stumpy said:

I got an
Amd fx-8350 4ghz 8 core
Gtx 980 4gb
16gb ram
Game installed on ssd

I have a similar rig but with an intel processor and a GTX980 and have no problems at ultra settings while streaming.
My CPU is a 4770k over clocked to 4.6. I also use EVGA Precision X (Steam Version) that runs my GTX980 at 1392MHZ It think default is around 1200MHZ. The funny thing is I can OC the 980 to as high at 1506mhz fairly stable when playing CHIV and get solid 120 FPS in most maps. But Mordhau doesnt like the OC so the 1392mhz seems to be the best. Sometimes I get 200+ fps and typically a solid 100-120 fps in heavy battle.

Thus get an aftermarket air cooler and try to get your CPU to 4.6 and download EVGA Precision X and test out finding a slight stable over clock as your mileage may vary. Also do this at your own risk if you do not know what you are doing, read up and watch videos to help you.

Baron 19 31

1440p, 75fps average while streaming and saving clips. I had to lower some graphical settings to high for frontlines. I keep my settings on ultra in every other game mode. The biggest thing for me was some of the ping fluctuations in the match. I also have port forwarding enabled. It was a very good test, just a few hiccups.

Specs:
Video Card: 1080ti
Processor: i9-9900k
SSD & DDR4 RAM

985 6954
  • 5 Apr
 marox — Project Lead

@Ruby Rhoderick said:
An i7-8700K running at 5Ghz should not be a bottleneck for any modern game - I think what we're seeing here is poor optimization from Mordhau that depends heavily on CPU usage.

There will always be a bottleneck, even if that is simply because every bottle has a neck. The question is what FPS it's hitting and whether that's enough. From what we can tell most players were actually bottlenecked by the GPU.

Duke 341 973

I can't test it as we no longer have access to Frontline, but from what I found, CPU seemed to be the primary constraint. The issue I was having during the stress test was, at best, a usage of ~60% of my GPU during the large battles. Yet, when in spawn, my GPU usage would shoot up to ~90% and I'd get drastically better FPS.

Again, I'd like to test it, but I did overclock my GPU from 4.2Ghz to 4.8Ghz and I'd like to see if that helps with performance. Here are my specs:

i7 - 6700K
1080ti

In-Game Settings: Medium-ish (turned everything CPU dependent to low)
Average FPS: 60 - 70 in Battles, 120+ without players in view