Mordhau

Progression/Unlock System: Complaints & Solutions

Conscript 2 6

Note: Some have said that progression is being changed, but I do not know how. Consequently, these arguments are directed towards the current state of progression and how I think they could change for the better.

I do not like the progression system at the moment. I figured I should start by saying this so I do not waste the time of anyone that is uninterested by me grumbling for a few minutes. I have some potential solutions at the end if that is all you care to see. Back to the point though, I play games like Mordhau because I enjoy the moment to moment gameplay. I play RPGs for the “power fantasy” or whatever you want to call creating builds and farming for the best weapons. I think the best way to explain and defend my opinion might be by bringing up the different avenues of progression themselves.

Metal Tints
I know some players complain about the murderous, thieving hordes of death knights and were glad to hear that the black tint will not be available until later ranks. In my opinion, this is an issue that has more to do with the armor pieces and gloss settings themselves, but I completely understand the dislike. So, some people are happy because these fantasy kind of tints will not become available until high ranks, but what happens once people do get to high ranks? A solution like the current progression system to an issue like this just shoving the issue under the rug, only for the cleaning serf to unveil it later. On the other hand, I think having “achievement unlocks” is okay. For example, the high-tier backer rewards like the crown would make sense as maximum rank rewards (if they were not kickstarter rewards) because they are so unique. This would simultaneously make player rank more important, as some players have asked for.

Dyes
Similar to metal tints I suppose, though I haven’t seen as many complaints about them as I have for the tints. All of the colors I tend to use are unlocked, so I don’t have as much of an issue with them. I wish the other customization aspects were similar in how many are freely available, even from the start.

Weapons & Armor
This is the big section. Having to unlock and purchase weapons does not make much sense to me. At the moment it seems like it does not take too long to unlock them all, but balancing how gold is spent to purchase weapons and armor is a different story. People want to customize their mercenaries right from the get go. Earlier in the Beta, making my first “primary” knight was a cool experience, and being able to recognize other players (especially in videos where the HUD is off) by their armor was amazing; there are not many other games that allow for the kind of player recognition and customization that Mordhau has.
I remember reading a post from some time ago about how weapon unlocks in Chivalry were what kept them entertained and engaged, leading to a better relationship with the game because they were forced into trying different things and looked forward to unlocks. I have heard similar sentiments about unlocks in general - that having a progression system like we have now is nice because it “gives you something to work towards” and provides a reason to continue playing. I personally cannot understand the latter line of reason at all; I would not spend hundreds of hours for gold trim and then decide I was bored because there was nothing left to work for. As for the former reason, being able to play around with whatever I want seems more enjoyable, and not being able to get my hands on a certain item fast enough is actually a barrier that has kept me from playing some games. Having something to work towards is good and all, but (in games like Mordhau) only if it does not have any real mechanical value (e.g. tints, dyes, weapon skins). Taking away mechanical options from players in a game that will already intrinsically suffer from large skill discrepancies is, in my opinion, something that will turn off more players than are to be gained by the current system.

Note: I would prefer no progression whatsoever, where everything is unlocked right from the start. After talking with some other players and reading a few posts however, I believe I may be in the minority. For this reason, many of the suggestions here are attempts at a nice middleground.

Potential Solutions
A change that would at least alleviate the beginning of the progression process might be making all of the items that the default mercenaries have freely available. This way the default mercenaries could be cloned and adjusted with whatever items we choose to buy. With a change like this, it would not take as long to build a few cool, unique mercenaries.
One solution that might work is to only need to unlock weapon skins, unique paints, and tints (weapon skins could even be earned by using the weapon, not being attached to player rank at all). This would remove all functional barriers from the current progression system, fostering what I believe would be a sandbox that invites experimenting with different weapons and armor combinations - a system in contrast to the linear and restrictive progression system currently in use. However, it would still give those who want it something to work towards in the form of cosmetic details.
I think the best middleground would be a Titanfall 2 kind of system. In Titanfall 2, all functional items are unlocked for free when you hit the rank they are associated with. However, you can spend currency to buy any item before you get to that rank. The currency can also be used to buy camos.

Mordhau is to me a game like Battlefield 1942, where I played because of the joy that comes from the gameplay itself and I did not need any sort of unlock system to keep me playing. I will play Mordhau regardless of the progression system, but if progression feels like a must I hope it will be fair and rewarding. If I am missing something, please let me know. If anyone can explain to me why the system is best the way it is now I may not be ecstatic, but I would be grateful.

Thanks for reading,
Turtles

Count 325 338

I agree with the colors, I mean let people use the color they want. I used to play with golden armor tint, red colors and now I can’t do that right off the bat. Sounds too extreme of a restriction to me. Unlocking armor could be alright (haven’t played since the last update so no idea if it’s long to just get a single rank) but colors shouldn’t be locked behind ranks imo.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 22 Mar '19
 Frise

Metal tints should absolutely be level restricted. Too many black knight edgelords and golden weapons otherwise.

Knight 30 65
  • 22 Mar '19
 last_apoc

In terms of color and metal tints, I actually think the restrictions should be even greater than they are now..

As it stands now you can have gold trim by around level 25 and level 100 is just slightly brighter gold, and you have access to almost all color tints right off the bat. If I had it my way you would have just a few basic tints, and just a couple brownish, muddled colors when you start. and getting stuff like gold or black tints, and bright oranges/reds/blues/yellows would be something you wouldn't unlock until later levels.

I really like the idea of seeing a player with all customized gear, gold trim and bright colors and having them stand out in the crowd and be someone you really notice. I do understand that a lot of people would prefer NOT to have it this way, and that I am likely in the minority here, its just what I personally would like to see.

Count 325 338

@Frise said:
Metal tints should absolutely be level restricted. Too many black knight edgelords and golden weapons otherwise.

Even if you dislike it, you're bound to see them coming anyway at some point. No reason to restrict it just because you don't like to see black knights or bronze weapons. You are going to see them anyway at the end of the road (and beyond).

Knight 1269 3811
  • 22 Mar '19
 Frise

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:

@Frise said:

Even if you dislike it, you're bound to see them coming anyway at some point. No reason to restrict it just because you don't like to see black knights or bronze weapons. You are going to see them anyway at the end of the road (and beyond).

Yes, but if they're restricted to high level players you'll see them rarely and they will actually be special and have meaning. Just like pink helmets in Chiv.

Knight 445 1074
  • 22 Mar '19
 Knight Nicholas

@✵ Legate Lanius ✵ said:

@Frise said:

If I see a black knight edgelord, I want them to have skill and experience to actually back up their edgelord-iness.

Conscript 2 6

In other words, you want them to be an edgelord, not an edgeknave?