Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Bot AI Significantly Improved!

Duke 60 165
  • 18 Mar '19
 Lumi

I've been playing some local matches against bots because Battle Royale sucks, all I wanted was Horde, and I wanted to see the extent of the AI changes that were made at least in part to support the tutorial.

TL:DR: holy shit bots are much better.

Old bots ran around mindlessly until a player was in range, then ran straight to them and attacked at the earliest possibility, either a stab or a horizontal slash. They had perfect parry timing, and would occasionally chamber or feint. They had no problem going into the other team's spawn and dying after 5 seconds. They were totally retarded about heights.

New bots still run around mindlessly. They still go into your spawn. They still won't climb up anything but at least know how to use the stairs now.

New behaviors:

Matrixing - Swing for the head and bots will occasionally crouch down and avoid the swing. It's funny to see this happen when you attack from behind. I've also seen one lean back to avoid a strike.

Running Away - Fought against a bot with a dagger and he would turn around and sprint away to dodge my attack.

Dragging - Fought against a bot with a heavy weapon and it seemed like he was dragging his attacks.

Attacks from other angles - Bots now have upper and lower strike bound.

Throwables - Bots will use throwable items. They have very good aim.

Bows/Crossbows - Bots aim quickly and well, and have perfect timing with switching to a melee weapon when you approach.

Not having perfect defense - Bots ability to parry correctly has been toned down so much it's almost comical. Honestly, they could stand to defend themselves a little better.

Moving around - Bots now circle around you instead of just standing there.

Knight 941 2569
  • 18 Mar '19
 Pred

TFW you are waiting for devs to fix running away and 180 gambles but now even bots do that.

Knight 337 778
  • 18 Mar '19
 AngelEyes

Honestly the ai has always impressed me I’m glad to hear further improvement and eager to get home from work to try. I didn’t know we could even do local in this build.

Before they definitely didn’t fiend and drag enough though.

In the future custom bot tweaking would be awesome I think

1430 2175

I think some bots defense needs to be buffed next time around. Too easy to drag them.

Emperor 400 927
  • 18 Mar '19
 Soulcatcher

but when can bot read drag

bot ez cus cant

Duke 60 165
  • 18 Mar '19
 Lumi

To further improve bots, I think the devs should create three separate AI profiles:

Noob AI: Shitty parrying and not reading feints or morphs, basically the same as bots are now. Slow to fire and poor aim with projectiles. Occasional stab chamber, no slashes. No ducking or dodging.

Experienced AI: Solid parrying and okay feint/morph reading. Decent fire rate and aim. Will initiate and return chambers. Improved aim and fire rate. No leaning or ducking but will step back or to the side to avoid a strike.

Seymour AI: Almost impenetrable parry, very good chambering, full matrixing, and fires bows and projectiles like the current AI.

Knight 337 778
  • 18 Mar '19
 AngelEyes

Yeah.. I guess it’s kind of delicate because if devs wanted they could make bots virtually unhittable as impossible to beat

Level 3 bots in for honor are just downright boring to play against and they don’t make you a better player because their Just scripted reading robots

Knight 1388 3163
  • 18 Mar '19
 Tim_Fragmagnet

horbe mobe wen