Mordhau

Frontline Rework Ideas

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 21 Mar '19
 vanguard

Dafuck why? At least you should tell which ideas you think are shit and why you know, to generate some discussion?

1430 2175

I really liked whoever had the idea of making the whole river a flag zone. Most people condense down the middle but overall the whole river would be chaos and that would be really coolio

Bomb cart and npc villagers when

988 6972
  • 21 Mar '19
 marox — Project Lead

The other maps have different final objectives. We're currently experimenting with having some more objective play that happens at the pen-ultimate point before the frontline can progress to the final point (as a one-time soft lock of sorts), as well as some potential buildables around points/encampments which would give people something to do there and make it more fun. This is something that we can hopefully do realistically in the timeframe while also working on polish/other two modes.

Conscript 76 108
  • 22 Mar '19
 KineticWolf

From my perspective Marox, not having played it just watched recordings of the test weekend, I think it's a great foundation which can have many additional layers of content added. But, given how much I expect I will enjoy the combat, it isn't an issue for me. I don't know what the casual player's mindset would be, I really can't say if this mode would appeal enough to them. My view is all on the combat, how good is it? Modes are more like icing, they can enhance the core cake but a good cake doesn't depend on icing to be delicious.

Knight 5408 7405
  • 22 Mar '19
 Humble Staff

Well that's reassuring, that's probably the biggest issue with frontline right now, nothing to do other than bunch up in the closest enemy spawn point and enjoy the clusterfuck.
The clusterfuck enjoying is for FFA and TDM imho, everyone is looking after frontline for objective based gameplay, having diferent approaches to those objectives, them being engaging and inmersive, feeling rewarded for throwing their precious k/d ratio away for the sake of their side making it to the next part.

Knight 54 64
  • 22 Mar '19
 fmay2123

Could we hire mercenary bots to follow us around and attack the enemy?

Knight 513 1046
  • 22 Mar '19
 FaffyШaffy

Yeah, when is For Honor mode lmao

Count 1476 965

@FaffyШaffy said:
Yeah, when is For Honor mode lmao

They don't follow you in For Honor, they follow the middle objective, you mean Conqueror's blade mode*

Knight 697 1611
  • 28 Mar '19
 das

I've been overcomplicating this.

Frontline as it is, except the 2nd/4th capture points have a one-time progressive TO (Team Objective). Once the TO is completed, that capture point is now permanently open for capturing just as in current Frontline. Depending on the map, bonuses are granted as you progress through the TO (killing peasants, burning houses, freeing slaves = tickets).

If the middle point is taken back by Team 1 before the TO is completed by Team 2 and then retaken back by Team 2, they start progressing on the TO wherever they left off. Bomb cart was left off at 62% of the way traveled, only 13/40 Peasants were burned/killed, etc.

Now back to complexity. To add some dynamics, perhaps have some of the objectives still available even when the capture point is locked depending on the map (e.g. gates permanently opened after capping midpoint once, so peasants can be slaughtered beforehand to make your next TO push easier, but the objective goods you need to ransack are closed until midpoint is capped again).

Finale as it is, but more interesting and/more multi-layered objectives than Camp's.

The TO itself can have side objectives not necessary to open the capture point. Same possibly for the Finale. You must capture the middle and 4th points respectively to unlock these.

Edit: From marox's post a few before mine

We're currently experimenting with having some more objective play that happens at the pen-ultimate point before the frontline can progress to the final point (as a one-time soft lock of sorts), as well as some potential buildables around points/encampments which would give people something to do there and make it more fun. This is something that we can hopefully do realistically in the timeframe while also working on polish/other two modes.

So this is probably indeed coming. A good start. Once the game is released and we get actual 32v32 gameplay, the devs and future mapmakers can get a feel for whether there is enough real estate for side and optional objectives and whatnot. While I found the first Frontline Camp to be rather dull, the one thing it did do well is always have an engaging 10+ v 10+ in an important area seamlessly no matter the server size. Careless mapmaking can make it so that even a 32v32 can feel barren in many seemingly important places, e.g. post-Vanilla WoW's Alterac Valley.

162 125
  • 1 Apr '19
 Schwarzchild

movable siege towers = yes

they will go in a linear path and its push requires a builder and 10 knights to be beside it (has to be behind) kinda like bomb cart but steroids

-it will provide healing by supplies inside while also giving archers shooting

-why movable? well this will add another way to end the game,
heres why:

• if the siege reaches the base it will end the game but is also putting the risk of your team in losing a siege tower for defeat by having enemy able to put bombs on it easier since its getting closer

• this creates tactics to either capture points or do a suicide sacrifice of a tower