Mordhau

The State of BR

17 49
  • 16 Mar
 Rhike

Let's open this can of worms.

Let me give you some facts as a food for thought first, to start discussion.

1. There is only one chest type and the loot doesn't seem to be expertly distributed.

2. Most people are using melee weapons - tactical positioning is not required, even ground is preferable to anything else. Use a shield against archer to move up to him, etc.

3. You get top tier weapons very often from the very first chests - I've seen a zwei being dropped from the FIRST chest near spawn on stream.

4. (1+2) The map does not incentivise you to go anywhere, apart from hunting people down - loot is easy to get and I've seen at least six 333 halberds at the end of the game.

5. There are no selectable spawn areas. Note that the areas could be big. Those allow for hotspots for high tier loot / high density chests, or quiet spots. These distinctions are extremely vital for a BR game because it gives a sense of freedom and you get less RNG results that way.

6. (1+2+4) If you remove a possible thrill of the hunt and seeking out lone vulnerable players alike, BR looks like a simple FFA on a large map - which becomes a duelyard with no rules attached.

7. Having a low amount of ranged weapons is refreshing, since now you can cross open spaces and generally feel safer. However, this also means that you may often see enemies and feel incapable of doing anything to them.

8. (6+7) Since a LOT of people die in the first minute or so etc, the map somewhat becomes a ghost town, so people walk around trying to find a duel opponent most of the time.

Summary of all points above: The gamemode becomes a duelyard without rules on a huge map with loot and a tint of ranged combat. You really are better off going on a Duelyard server and getting first place THERE.

(the positive points were intentionally ignored here. there are only a few though)

Suggestions:

Add areas filtered as high tier gear (top of the castle for example) and low tier gear (the church for example). Add a lot more peasant weapons, so that seeing a proper weapon is a rare commodity (this one is subjective though). Add area spawns. Add a map popup. Add more incentive to play the gamemode. Perhaps lock out all the 9+ cost weapons into high tier areas? Or add an "airdrop" - a chest that shines a magical beacon into the sky.

The gamemode is not ready for release, unless you bank on new players getting excited to try all the weapons out. I understand we are SOMEWHAT burnt out and have tried all the weapons, so chest drops ultimately become meaningless. After a few matches, everything becomes dull and everything becomes a deja vu - unless a newbie somehow manages to beat a comp guy.

In my opinion, the devs made the mistake of assuming BR is good because they played it together in a VC (most likely). Friends make everything better - it is a known concept, many a man play crap old games and enjoy them... with company. (yes, squads is a legitimate fix as well)

Mercenary 178 612
  • 17 Mar
 Stauxie

My rant was placed in another thread and is more fitting here, but I don't want to spam. BR can be fun, but I wouldn't call it a BR because it more resembles Skirmish + FFA.

To summarize my points.

• Spawnpoints tend to lead to unfun RNG, selecting where you go is much more enjoyable.
  • The difference between iron and wooden chests should actually be looked into because either can give you shit or god-tier loot.
  • EXP is foosed and doesn't actually reward good players.

Otherwise the gamemode can be fun, but there aren't enough elements to warrant it being a stand alone gamemode. I'm just glad that it only took about a week or two to actually make and it shows.

Empress 361 853
  • 17 Mar
 Soulcatcher

Agree with most of what you've said.

Yeah ranged weapons are too common, think everyone gets frustrated getting killed by a projectile in a gamemode where you have one life.

The map border/zone thing needs to move a bit quicker, too many people seem to just fart around on the outskirts bonking heaps of boxes.

In general it just doesn't feel very unique besides the fact the gamemode is in Mordhau, there isn't too much to force or add incentive for players to congregate in a certain place, or be in any real hurry.

Some chests containing good items, or some sort of bonus would be good.
Bunch of bots that spawn around a chest or something

Not a big fan of BR games personally, but it wasn't bad, but it wasn't really great either.

Knight 100 370
Knight 223 514
  • 17 Mar
 Duckalot

@McMercy said:
pls.png

This option will be in the release version. Dont worry.

Knight 762 3295
  • 17 Mar
 Mittsies

what if everyone spawns with a Skeleton Key, killing a player takes all of their keys, and you can use these keys to unlock special chests in key areas that contain sick loot (bandages, heavy armor, good weapons, arrows, etc.). these chests could also be launched into the battlefield via catapult later into the match.

Conscript 186 472
  • 17 Mar
 Shovonem

I agree with a lot of the points you described @Rhike.

I think they could do something about the Inventory too... like in some other BR games you can not just have multiple powerful guns. In mordhau, you can carry multiple Eveningstar/Zwei/Halberd. Sometimes even if you run out of stamina you can just pull out your 2nd Eveningstar.

I believe it should be something like:

1. 1 inventory slot cap for a high point 2h weapon.
  2. 1 slot for a 1h weapons. Bastard sword, short spear etc
  3. 1 slot for a ranged weapon.
  4. 1 slot for Shield
  5. 1 slot for only throwable. You can stack 2 throwable of the same type in a single slot. perhaps like 4 throwing axe in a slot.
  6. 1 slot for Bandages. ( given you can also carry more bandages in a single slot maybe 6 bandages in total)

I also think bandages, ranged, shield should spawn more. High tier weapons should spawn a lot less. I believe BR should be the mode where people have to use both ranged and melee equally and efficiently to win. Spawning more Pavise, kite shield can also help against archers.

• 17 Mar
 Shovonem
This comment was deleted.
  • 17 Mar
 ohshitsorry
This comment was deleted.
1308 2875
  • 17 Mar
 Monsteri

I think it should be:
2 slots for weapons
4 slots for whatever

Knight 685 1851

@Monsteri said:
I think it should be:
2 slots for weapons
4 slots for whatever

Seems like it would over-complicate it. It's not a shooter when having two smgs means you have twice the mag size or something. 5 eveningstars won't save you from a more skilled opponent here.

Knight 762 3295
  • 17 Mar
 Mittsies

@Monsteri said:
I think it should be:
2 slots for weapons
4 slots for whatever

that just limits playstyles even further though. there are times when grabbing a bunch of throwable 1h weapons is nice in the absence of other loot. you also sometimes want different weapons for different situations: zwei for big open areas and multiple opponents, rapier for people who have bad armor, spear for if you get horseback, eveningstar to smack people in full plate, and of course ranged weapons... etc.

Conscript 676 1494
  • 17 Mar
 ohshitsorry

Needs many slots cuz traps 'n shiet

Duke 60 165
  • 18 Mar
 Lumi

What about giving progressively better gear based on how many chests you've opened or players you've killed? Getting a zwiel from the chest you spawn in kinda breaks the game.

Knight 108 140

@Lumi said:
What about giving progressively better gear based on how many chests you've opened or players you've killed? Getting a zwiel from the chest you spawn in kinda breaks the game.

This would just make it more about killing stuff and less about surviving. We are going to have enough maps with the kill focus. I like the survivalist/scavenger vibe here over the bland "I must kill everything" mentality.