Mordhau

Maybe Early Access is not a bad idea?

Knight 614 1111
  • 16 Mar
 Uncy

So, we can't really tell how much stuff is hidden from us but after playing frontline mode for few hours, I think we all can agree that it's not a polished experience, here are some of the issues i found, i'm not including server issues etc. cause that's easily fixable:

1. Ballista/Catapult belongs to the most toxic guy - if you will encounter a guy from your team who really wants to get a siege weapon he will just attack you and take it away, you can either give up or TK him, this will be a huge problem later in game.
  2. (on camp) it's easier to win as a red team, why? You can simply suicide run with torches to destroy the tents, you can't do the same as a blue team
  3. XP/Gold gain needs balancing
  4. No autobalance
  5. No votekick option
  6. VoIP would be cool thing to have to reduce the chaos

and some other. With how the steam works these days you can hide most of these imperfections behind the EARLY ACCESS gate, here are some profits of going into EA in current game state:

1. Mordhau is still far from being finished from a casual perspective (and we really need casual players in game to fill the playerbase), So if someone will mention hit detection issues, animations, lack of stuff they want etc. you can simply close the discussion by "its early access, things are due to change" etc.
  2. Increased steam visibility - so, the thing is, with Early Access your game can be released twice. First, during the EA launch you will get some important visibility from steam, and then, when the EA ends you get it yet again and your game will be shown in "recently released popular games"
  3. Curators and reviewers will take into a consideration that the game is still in Early Access phase, trust me, it's better if mordhau will be called "almost finished early access title" than "buggy finished game".
  4. It WILL NOT affect gameplay whatsover - so we've got few "elite" guys who think that EA sucks, it will destroy the game etc. which is not true, Early Access will give devs a time to polish the game while earning money, we won't be affected by that.

Devs. I know that you won't be leaving mordhau after the release, but trust me, in current state it's really better to give it a shot as a Early Access title so people will know it's being worked at and improved. If you will go into released state you risk getting mixed reviews because of the flaws mordhau still has.

305 836
Knight 49 107

In order to balance the final objective as the red team, I suggest to burn more tents, especially those who are near the blue spawn. It will add a better challenge, like in chivalry where the final objective is to burn this damn library inside the cathedral (can't remember the name of the map)

Knight 469 913
  • 16 Mar
 wierHL

Can they even still go into early access? Will Steam even let them?

Knight 614 1111
  • 16 Mar
 Uncy

@wierHL said:
Can they even still go into early access? Will Steam even let them?

Yup, you can go for early access before the release

Baron 1551 2083

Yes please.
At least when they release on steam, do it under the protective banner of early access, so you have license to take the money you get from early access and use it to tear the game down and rebuild it gooder if need be.

Imo need be

Baron 2357 3387
  • 16 Mar
 Xekratos

Well I think that red team has an easier objective because it's harder for them to actually take the enemies objectives. Blue team has more defendable points.

Duchess 775 3451
  • 16 Mar
 Stouty

Why ruin it now? If the game has to come out now just release it and call it a full game, it's more feature complete than most AAA titles at their launch so it's stupid to tarnish the game this late

Also VOIP would be aids in frorntline

9 23
  • 16 Mar
 Meph

Frontline needs some work, its basically a tdm, and only when a team is stomping they are able to do an actual objective. The objective itself its also not very fun, you only have to grab a torch/barrel and pray that nobody is paying attention, not much to do.

Duke 549 913
  • 16 Mar
 Goatie

The game is fun but missing key bits of sound to flesh out the atmosphere more, non-combat animation polish and some more lore spread around in bits and bobs to make us give a damn. Seems small but altogether they create that 'something missing' feeling for me. Right now the game is in the huge potential phase, but not quite there yet.

Baron 1551 2083

@Stouty said:
Why ruin it now? If the game has to come out now just release it and call it a full game, it's more feature complete than most AAA titles at their launch so it's stupid to tarnish the game this late

So "just release the game blatantly unfinished, but say it's finished to get more people to buy it, then admit it's really not finished." Is less tarnishing than just releasing in Early Access where all of the above is understood?

Knight 614 1111
  • 16 Mar
 Uncy

@Stouty said:

Ruin what exactly? In this case the game will be still the same, no matter if it will be release as ea title or not, in EA case its just pure profit for the devs cause instead of pretending like its finished game they would have increased visibility and time for fixes. It does not ruin anything

Duke 2266 4007
  • 16 Mar
 Huggles

This was a very well put together and interesting take on what most people in the alpha took for granted as a "shit idea."

You make some fantastic points and I think the devs should at the very least seriously discuss this alternative route for the health of the game.

Ultimately, a game can recover if it is not received perfectly on early access release. It is significantly harder to do this on a full release (though it has been done, no man's sky, fortnite, and rainbow six siege)

Duchess 775 3451
  • 16 Mar
 Stouty

early access = insta not buy for many people

So "just release the game blatantly unfinished

What's not finished?

Baron 1551 2083

@Stouty said:
early access = insta not buy for many people

So "just release the game blatantly unfinished

What's not finished?

what is finished? Give me a definitive list.

Your argument is "it's more feature complete than most AAA titles at launch."
Setting the bar as low as possible and then moving it up one notch isn't a good idea.

Maybe emulating the greed of AAA companies, which has become so despised by hardcore players, isn't the best advice for our dev team. Integrity buys good will which yields higher profits in the long-run.

"Cause players won't buy an early access game" yeah cause those players only want to play finished games. And you think it's a good idea to pull the wool over their eyes and sell them this, tell them it's done?

Duchess 775 3451
  • 17 Mar
 Stouty

There is a gameplay loop, practically bug free, solid combat and a progression system

Now what do you think the game is missing, besides some very minor and subjective balance changes

Knight 1383 3152

@Stouty said:
Now what do you think the game is missing, besides some very minor and subjective balance changes

An in depth engaging gamemode that will actually keep people playing.

more than 3 medium armor torsos
more medium armor in general

Even more different fucking sword categories to obfuscate the weapon sandbox even fucking more

More plate armor that looks exactly the fucking same

Still don't see teeth customizations yet

other assorted backer stuff

Optimization

better servers

a graphics menu option to fucking turn off sharpening

Things to actually make constructions and breakables not just an annoying fucking gimmick

Duchess 775 3451
  • 17 Mar
 Stouty

I think between BR, frontline and custom servers there is plenty to engage players. Whilst I can agree with a lot of what you're asking for, especially optimisation, the rest is mostly superficial and is not in anyway essential to release day 1. It would be unnecessarily shooting the game in the foot to label it early access just because the game is not absolutely perfect at launch

17 49
  • 17 Mar
 Rhike

The internal release date (April 3rd) means nothing. I don't believe there's anything set in stone, apart from the devs having their resources depleted soon. It doesn't have to be either a sloppy release or an early access. We can just be patient and get the changes that way - the resources point still stands though.