Mordhau

Shields = useless

Knight 50 163
  • 26 Mar
 owen

go to your local playgrounds where you belong.

Boss-of-this-gym.jpg.jpg

1094 1726

What are other shielder's thought's on shield balance and how it should be implemented? That's what this thread is about

Baron 17 44

I think the way shields worked a few patches ago was very well made, dont know exactly which patch it was, maybe 14? 15?

You had to block very close to the point of impact, which made it possible and pretty easy actually to hit legs for example when a guy was holding shield up midair to block a swing to the body. Im sure you guys remember.

Back then it was a bit too much though, cause with Targe, you could hold the shield all the way down and still couldnt block some swings to the legs. And that was pretty crappy actually. But at that time, some people had a very nice playstyle with overhead drags to the legs.

Right now, its actually exactly the opposite. Even with Targe, as long as you block at least a bit in the right direction, no blade can pierce. Id prefer something in between there, that would fix a lot of problems people seem to have fighting shielders.

At the same time, shields should be able to be played actively with. Right now, my left arm feels like the one of fucking Ephialtes in 300.

With shields, you should be able to bash forwards or swing backwards, as long as something like that is not implemented, you wont have a goodlooking shieldfight. And when you play with a 1h, you should be able to throw punches with your left arm.

396 453
  • 26 Mar
 JasonBourne

@Đ٣ąҜєM.livevorOrt said:
I think the way shields worked a few patches ago was very well made, dont know exactly which patch it was, maybe 14? 15?

You had to block very close to the point of impact, which made it possible and pretty easy actually to hit legs for example when a guy was holding shield up midair to block a swing to the body. Im sure you guys remember.

Back then it was a bit too much though, cause with Targe, you could hold the shield all the way down and still couldnt block some swings to the legs. And that was pretty crappy actually. But at that time, some people had a very nice playstyle with overhead drags to the legs.

Right now, its actually exactly the opposite. Even with Targe, as long as you block at least a bit in the right direction, no blade can pierce. Id prefer something in between there, that would fix a lot of problems people seem to have fighting shielders.

At the same time, shields should be able to be played actively with. Right now, my left arm feels like the one of fucking Ephialtes in 300.

I totally agree. Chapeau for not being biased and providing valuable feedback.

Alot of us have the same view but crush doesnt seem to like this. I hope he considers it.

Knight 3135 7293
  • 27 Mar
 Punzybobo

bro, cool shield thread btro

Duchess 775 3451
  • 27 Mar
 Stouty

drake how do you think I can take a full regen so easily you dolt? It's because you do full 180 sprints yourself and you cant deal with players not voluntarily falling on your sword

I don't care if you're too hurt to duel i already know how to dispatch your kind which i demonstrated every encounter we had in BR where u couldnt deny a maul to your teeth

Baron 17 44

Combine those two shield changes I wrote here before - the moderate backchange to precise blocking and the active play with shield - and you will solve pretty much all problems that people have with them right now, I am pretty sure about that.

You will get rid of backpedaling, pacifistic bulwarks cause you can easily cut around the shields: Around the small ones, obviously cause theyre small, and around the big ones cause you cant see shit where swings are precisely going as long as you keep them up.

Besides, shield users become encouraged to lower the shields and maybe watch out for an enemy to move to their left side, which gives them an opportunity to bash the shield in his face.

If thats still not enough, add to the game that kicks to raised shields make the shielder ragdoll like outstam'd boxers do right now. That would give shielders a big disadvantage when they are trash cause they keep go flyin and get killed pretty quickly, but also adds a completely new and different playstyle that adds variety.

Shields might even become attractive as they deserve and more people could use them as they might get out of this "noobs only" corner that so many 2h-elitists brand them with.

Will those changes be made in heaven and solve everything? Probably not. Will new problems arise from those changes? Certainly, but one battle at a time.

If those changes turn out to be fucking awful and make the game a dam mess, which I highly doubt, then revoke them again and be done with it.

At least fucking try it, though.

1094 1726

Why would kick ragdoll shield when a maul won't? Kick stun was removed for a reason.

Knight 2247 4038
  • 27 Mar
 Runagate

Maul should do 10 damage to body but ragdoll

Baron 17 44

Kickstun was removed a long time ago because it stunned anyone getting hit, shield or not, raised or not, was completely retarded and didnt make any sense at all.

And why would a maul hit ragdoll someone who blocks it with a shield? Its a heavy blow that draws a lot of stamina, as it should do. Hit a shield several times with it and it goes flying, thats completely fine as it is.

A kick ragdolling a raised shield on the other hand would absolutely make sense to me though, as it is much more a very strong shove rather than a heavy blow and can get you off balance very easy.

Knight 3299 6742
  • 27 Mar
 Bodkin

The reason they don't want it to be really easy to get around a shield is that it felt good whem fighting shields but made all shields but kite feel absolutely worthless when used.

You spend points for the shield. It is not supposed to be balanced vs parry. It is supposed to be superior to parry.

They are adding kickstun to held shield blocks while keeping them good at what they are supposed to do

Knight 254 691

@Runagate said:
Maul should do 10 damage to body but ragdoll

The rag doll is a guaranteed killed especially with a competent Mual user.

1094 1726

A decent player with decent ping will now be impenetrable, will bait kicks and use 1h cancer to win, yes? Can't wait to dominate duels with targe and rapier/mace then. Might not even have to wear armor then lol since 1h cancer is ex potentiated by extra range from faster movement speed.. I rarely got shield stunned in Chiv why would I get shield stunned here but for my high ping?

Though... kinda sucks for the noobs who will try to learn the game with shield and spend their first few hours in constant kick stun. Is that really better than spamming stamina wars or leg/side shots? Imagine if @Gayfish grabbed a shield with his playstyle lol he'd out kick the people trying to kick him and cavemen will be asking for another shield balance update.

At least Chivalry had the heavy kick that took longer so it felt fair and looked good, will Mordhau implement a heavy kick to specifically break shield? Otherwise shield will still mop the floor in duels but be absolutely fucking useless in team combat since 2 guys will spam melee and one will kick... its not like shield passively blocks archers too well anyways lol Hell, it doesn't even block them too well when held up.

Again, I feel like most shield ideas come from people who look down messer/GS feint in T3 and would never use a 1h let alone 1h with shield. But when people who love and main shield suggest tighter hit boxes on them we're told what feels bad while everyone and their grandmother suggests absurd shit like stamina warfare, instant hit recovery on hitting shield and kick stun. If it wasn't good enough for the main game why would it be a good idea for shield users???

I'll reiterate my point, if a maul won't break a shield why would someone's foot? I loved that patch where you could parry/block kicks though the kick stun part was stupid.

1094 1726

OH MY GOD

Shield vs Shield will actually be even worse to watch with kick stun being the prioritized way to break a shield.

Baron 17 44

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
Shield vs Shield will actually be even worse to watch with kick stun being the prioritized way to break a shield.

N1, you didnt get one fucking thing I wrote.

When you already COULD kick my raised shield and I ragdolled and got hit afterwards, it would have been my dam mistake I even got hit by the kick in the first place. Thats what dozen of guys cry all over about in like 10 different threads: Guys with shields raised up just backpedaling and you cant do shit about it and you cant punish it and it takes hours to kill a complete shitpleb cause of this.

Raised shields ragdolling after kicked would be a perfect punish for trash players doing that, while experienced shield players dont even get kicked while having their shield up. If they do, they know its their own fault.

The prioritized way to kill experienced shield players should be to just hit them cause their block isnt precise enough. Thats where the backchange to moderated block angles of alpha 14 or 15 would come into play.

Conscript 186 472
  • 27 Mar
 Shovonem

@Đ٣ąҜєM.livevorOrt said:

I do not agree with you on this. You yourself said that experienced shield players will not fall for kicks which is pretty obvious. The only thing this will do is make it harder for noobs to get into yet not solving any problem in high level. In addition, you are just gonna get rekt in team fights with random kicks from different sides. I don't think kickstun in this game is a good idea. Shield or no shield.

1094 1726

@Đ٣ąҜєM.livevorOrt said:

@Lionheart Chevalier said:

N1, you didnt get one fucking thing I wrote.

When you already COULD kick my raised shield and I ragdolled and got hit afterwards, it would have been my dam mistake I even got hit by the kick in the first place. Thats what dozen of guys cry all over about in like 10 different threads: Guys with shields raised up just backpedaling and you cant do shit about it and you cant punish it and it takes hours to kill a complete shitpleb cause of this.

Raised shields ragdolling after kicked would be a perfect punish for trash players doing that, while experienced shield players dont even get kicked while having their shield up. If they do, they know its their own fault.

The prioritized way to kill experienced shield players should be to just hit them cause their block isnt precise enough. Thats where the backchange to moderated block angles of alpha 14 or 15 would come into play.

I am not talking to you in my previous post but I'm scolding the 2h folk who keep coming up with shitty shield balance ideas when they themselves will never use a 1h let alone a shield. The reason it feels like I'm not "getting" what you're saying is because I am not talking to you or responding to your post.

I agree a much smaller parrybox on a shield is a great idea though only if stab drags are toned down a bit too. I would prefer accurate shield models but I understand this may be too overzealous for some. Kick stun is a bad idea, we've had it before and Chivalry had it for shields, too. We saw that kick stun in Chivalry was only bad for beginners and people in 1vX while getting traded was it's only short coming in duels, though it was a huge weakness with no riposte vs determined messer/sow trades. Without those trades we'd see players baiting kicks and punishing while using 1h cancer to win and that's what I expect to see in Mordhau if kick stun makes a return.

Knight 762 3301
  • 28 Mar
 Mittsies

crush just PM me

he say

"shield is bolonce"

i ask "how?"

he say

"bik kik. everything ius fix"

as you can see, no need for further discussion.

shield is fine now.

please close this thread and all other shield threads

1094 1726

oog boog big kik

me strong caveman

shield man die now

Knight 925 2541
  • 28 Mar
 Pred

Model-accurate shield hitboxes year ago only made the current problems apply exclusively to Kite instead of all 3 shields, while Targe felt like it wasn't even there, it really solves nothing.