Mordhau

Lore and Faction names

Knight 513 1043

I'm aware of the premise being about mercenary groups fighting, but it would be interesting to know more about the groups individually, their leaders, history, who hired them and whatnot. It helps to give the game personality, no-name red vs blue feels way too arcadey. Maybe it doesn't just have to be red and blue, give them access to more colors, it worked fine in chiv.

Knight 1269 3804
  • 1 Mar
 Frise

Weren't the colours orange and a lighter blue in the first dev blogs? Why did they change to these ugly generic neon colours man... wtf actually would care about the lore in a game like this like I just wanna go in and kill people u know like nobody wants lore in battlefield

1326 3839

the wealthy noble cousins of Heep whitace hired an army of mercenaries to track down Patchie to avenge him he but patchie in turn hired mercenaries to keep Heeps family from ever finding him and discovering his castle of tomato seeds the war following these events has lasted for several decades

Knight 468 911
 wierHL

Ok how's this:
It's the early 15th century and the black plague has taken a much greater than IRL. It's pretty much decimated the population of the Old World, to the point where a professional army cannot be maintained.

The royal/noble houses of Eurasia (and North Africa because why not) are trying to hold onto every shard of power they can muster, so they hire mercenaries to do the fighting, under the form of small skirmishes or on larger frontlines.

Instead of being reduced to a family feud in Italy and fizzling out by 1392, the struggle between Emperor and Pope keeps going in Central Europe, the heartland of European mercenary activity. Sigismund of Luxembourg has just been elected King of the Franks/Germans/Romans, but the Pope anoints a Welf as Holy Roman Emperor. As such the 2 main factions are the Guelphs and Ghibellines. Chaos and depopulation have caused the European houses to pick sides, based on family ties, expansionist goals or old rivalries.

Houses firmly in Guelph camp:

• Welf (picked by pope)

• Anjou (want Sicily back reeeeee)

• Medici (upcoming force in Firenze)

Houses firmly in Ghibelline camp:

• Luxembourg (picked by electors)

• Barcelona (has Sicily)

• Visconti (want Pisa back Firenze scammed us reeeee)

Opportunistic shits marrying into everyone:

• Bourgogne

• Habsburg

And then there are other big bois like Valois, Plantagenet, Jagiellon, Osman etc who'll be picking sides and that whole antipope nonsense too.

TL;DR shitty fanfic premise about depopulated Europe has noble families hiring mercenaries

Knight 2246 4036
 Runagate

@Frise said:
Weren't the colours orange and a lighter blue in the first dev blogs? Why did they change to these ugly generic neon colours man... wtf actually would care about the lore in a game like this like I just wanna go in and kill people u know like nobody wants lore in battlefield

Just checked and they were Red/Lighte orange and White/Blue (which was more subdued than the current one). I still think red/black vs blue/white is boring and ugly as fuck and painfully generic and unimaginative, especially considering all the possibilities the customization system allows in terms of colours.

Knight 1815 2219
  • 1 Mar
 Void

There will be lore guys dw.

Knight 37 34

Condottiere and Landsknecte

Knight 513 1043

@Runagate said:

@Frise said:

Just checked and they were Red/Lighte orange and White/Blue (which was more subdued than the current one). I still think red/black vs blue/white is boring and ugly as fuck and painfully generic and unimaginative, especially considering all the possibilities the customization system allows in terms of colours.

I can't even control the arrangement of the same two colors, Jesus christ

Knight 5106 6854

Just saying, up until devs decide to give us diferent team colours other than red with black and blue with white, couldn't they make it so red and white vs blue and black can happen too? Like, 50/50 chance or every match switches between the two. It's not super innovative but would fresh things up a bit and they look good too imho.

Knight 1269 3804
  • 1 Mar
 Frise

It would be cool if they randomized between a few color palettes. I hope when they add competitive they add the ability for teams to choose their color schemes.

200 393

each mission for frontline mode needs context, a reason why we are doing it, how it supposedly affects the world outside the battle. this could come in the form of a simple mission statement which you can read on your first spawn. Or it can be shouted out loud as you are moving toward the objective. This was actually something chivalry did very well, "Slay the peasaaants, Burn their hoooomes" hilarious shit

1326 3839

@Void said:

no shit where here writing it for you now

Knight 1815 2219
 Void

@TombstoneJack said:

@Void said:

what if it's already written

1326 3839

@Void said:

@TombstoneJack said:

@Void said:

what if it's already written

I will find a way to win this argument

Knight 513 1043

What would probably work to maximize team customization, but not confuse is to allow basic, recognizable team colors as the primary color, and allow more freedom for the second color slot, as long as you can't go red/blue.

Something like Blue/White primary with Green, Cyan, and Purple secondary vs red/black with orange, yellow, and brown

I also agree with Runagate and wouldn't oppose these colors being mixed and matched. Green/Black and Red/White is a great combination also and actually contrasts better. Using my idea, you could have give the blues to black team for secondaries or something.

Also, having every armor piece in the game show color is annoying because it easily could have been avoided by forcing teams to have white/black tinted armor so you can tell them apart even if they had maille voiders and full leg armor.

Conscript 679 1498

give green

Knight 3135 7293
  • 7 Mar
 Punzybobo

I think the green faction should bei n the game and we should call it the Rhondoks, and the red faction should be red and white and we can call them the Swandians, what do you guys think??

Knight 468 911
  • 7 Mar
 wierHL

ok but the Swandian emblem has to be a swan

Count 790 3013

I've wondered before why they couldn't just implement a simple mandatory team sash which is clearly visible from the front and back and limit it to a color spectrum.

Similar to the one below, but with different designs instead of a scottish tartan. They could include a large variety of pattern options (Stripes , Checkers, etc.) and a minimum 2 color requirement, perhaps with a set base color.

fn74514-scotsman-men-halloween-costumes.jpg

Then you could have maximum freedom of loadout options. If you wanted to be perverse you could even join the "Red Team" and make a character that is blue from head to toe, but because you have your big bright "Red Team" sash identifying you it would still clearly indicate your alignment at a glance.

Something like:

Black / Red / Orange / Yellow for one team.

Dark Blue / Pale Blue / Purple / White for the other.

Knight 513 1043

@EatAtRedLobster said:
I've wondered before why they couldn't just implement a simple mandatory team sash which is clearly visible from the front and back and limit it to a color spectrum.

Similar to the one below, but with different designs instead of a scottish tartan. They could include a large variety of pattern options (Stripes , Checkers, etc.) and a minimum 2 color requirement, perhaps with a set base color.

fn74514-scotsman-men-halloween-costumes.jpg

Then you could have maximum freedom of loadout options. If you wanted to be perverse you could even join the "Red Team" and make a character that is blue from head to toe, but because you have your big bright "Red Team" sash identifying you it would still clearly indicate your alignment at a glance.

Something like:

Black / Red / Orange / Yellow for one team.

Dark Blue / Pale Blue / Purple / White for the other.

Or just have team armor tints