Mordhau

Mordhau's Progression System

Knight 766 3313
  • 26 Feb
 Mittsies

@Jax said:
Killing teammates makes you lose score, so it's counterproductive.

Also killing teammates means not killing enemies and getting more score.

Yes but you're also denying the teammate you killed from getting score AND you're denying a potential enemy from killing said ally and getting score off of them. So by sacrificing your own person gain, you are holding back at least two (2) people from getting score. That's a 1 for 2, and for very little effort too, sounds like a pretty good deal in my books. Furthermore, if the average is based off every player in the game, not just your own team... then in theory you are relatively increasing your average position in this exchange.

Knight 685 1852

@Mittsies said:
I asked Jax via DM for some clarification on the private servers:

Q: Private servers. Is it safe to assume that private servers will ignore the unlock system entirely, allowing you to just use anything you want? maybe not for cosmetics, but at least grant all weapons/equipment?

Jax: No, you'll have to pubstomp every now and then. Unlocking weapons takes like no time tho.

That's unfortunate to hear. Most people will then play on official frontline server without the proper administration, care and strong sense of community private servers can offer. Unmoddified private servers should have rewards too.

68 117
  • 26 Feb
 conny

I mean like fire-pot in doorways or objectives to stop people from catchin up, i guess you lose points if you damage teammates. But body blocking or kicking team mates away from objectives and stuff. I guess my question is: Will there be moderators in matchmaking servers and how will they be recruited?

68 117
  • 26 Feb
 conny

Anyhow looking forward to updates about development, are you going to tell us about WOIP before release or is the rest a surprise at release?

Count 331 1394
  • 27 Feb
 RingMaster

@Jax said:
KDR does nothing.

At the end of the match the game assigns a gold value based on the time played. It also determines the average score in the match. If you have average score you get the assigned gold value, above average score you get more, below average you get less (down to a minimum gold amount).

aslong as kills give a decent amount of points to reward absolute S L A Y E R S like me then that system is perfect

Knight 2267 4085
  • 27 Feb
 Runagate

lol you just abuse ls insiders

Knight 254 693

Question, how will banned players be effect by the gold system. Being banned from official servers effectively locks you out of the in-game content due to not being able to earn gold offline aside from the tutorial mode gold (which is a one time deal).

Soley relying online play on official servers could also pose a problem for players with poor connectivity to official servers. It's fair to say how important ping is in a game like this and not being able to fight properly with 100+ ping despite it being the closest server which would lead to a decrease in the potential gold you can get aside from time spent in the server.

I would strongly reconsider allowing private servers to earn gold aside from Offical servers on official game modes. Private servers provide the player the opportunity to have the best possible ping from whatever region of the world may be. What's the point of joining a clan server or any private server hosting the same game modes & maps if you gain nothing from it. Especially when the games primary replay value/end game content stems from the player's ability to unlock weapons & cosmetics.

Duke 5502 13139
  • 27 Feb
 Jax — Community Manager

if you get vac banned that's on you, don't cheat

we plan on having official servers in major areas, and if demand pops up for less populated regions (middle east etc.) we will get servers up and running for them as well.

the thing is that private servers could be abused for simply farming gold - get a passworded frontline server going, afk for a while to boost the time in-match, and farm your 3 alt accounts for like 30k gold in one sitting

Knight 254 693

People can idle in official servers already as is though. A person can easily find a dead server in the middle of no-where and sit there afk with the only thing to worry about is having to select a loadout every time the map changes. The only thing to mitigate this is implementing a player driven vote kick system or an idle kick system which can be circumvented by randomly pressing an assortment of keyboard and mouse movements. The actions of the few are affecting the community as a whole and that I find unacceptable. Playing on official matchmaking should only be about prestige through ranks and not one driven by earning money.

Knight 766 3313
  • 27 Feb
 Mittsies

at the very least, private servers should have unrestricted access to all base weapons imo

Knight 254 693

A compromise to the current system would be to allow private servers the ability to earn gold under whitelisted maps and modes. This would allow players to join their clan mates servers without having to sacrifice not earning gold / cosmetics / progression as they play. Have someone review player submit maps and modes to see if the primary detective of the maps is the gain gold the quickest way possible. TB did this for small maps like the ones shown in the video above.

Knight 685 1852

@Jax said:
the thing is that private servers could be abused for simply farming gold - get a passworded frontline server going, afk for a while to boost the time in-match, and farm your 3 alt accounts for like 30k gold in one sitting

There is lots of ways to prevent this. No gold drops for servers below a certain population (less than 10-15 players would yield no reward). Restricting drops to public, non password locked, severs.

Private servers gives an important sense of community. People play on the same server day after day and befriend each other. I made most of my friendlist that way. That's not something you get with matchmaking. And let's be honest, barely anyone will bother joining privately owned servers if they don't earn anything.

Count 331 1394
  • 27 Feb
 RingMaster

@Runagate said:
lol you just abuse ls insiders

Not only do i abuse insiders, i also abuse you

15 72
  • 27 Feb
 Eggplant

I spent the majority of my time in Chivalry on non-official servers and would likely prefer to do the same in Mordhau, especially after the SDK tools are released. Having progression be limited to official servers would be a huge disincentive to that. I think I would have quit playing Chivalry at around rank 30 or so if it hadn't been for the Moorland server. I hope the devs can come up with some kind of compromise that allows progression outside of official servers.

Knight 685 1852

@Eggplant said:
I spent the majority of my time in Chivalry on non-official servers and would likely prefer to do the same in Mordhau, especially after the SDK tools are released. Having progression be limited to official servers would be a huge disincentive to that. I think I would have quit playing Chivalry at around rank 30 or so if it hadn't been for the Moorland server. I hope the devs can come up with some kind of compromise that allows progression outside of official servers.

One thing though, It seems normal that progression wouldn't be allowed on gamemodes and map modified through the sdk. It should be reserved on fully unmodified private servers (perhaps with a "progression" server setting that when toggled on override the whole server settings to presets that the devs have chosen beforehands).

176 454
  • 27 Feb
 Koda

@Jax said:
Also TDM isn't the best for gold gain since it works off of averages/time. getting 20 kills in a moshpit TDM over 10 minutes might put you at above average but you'd still get less than being the top player in a different mode. Probably would be FL because longer matches and since there's more people there's more potential to outperform the average player. Also you don't actually have to be that good, you get a lot of points for just capping flags in Frontline.

Hey Jax, I just want to say that I really hope your battle royale game mode has a really big payout for a win. Assuming it's 64 players, a solo win should get you a reward consistent with a 1 in 64 chance at winning, so a pretty huge payout. I feel like a lot of (if not all of) the battle royale games just don't reward you much for winning, nothing special comes from it. Do you guys plan on doing something special for a BR win? Also I think if you're in quads, it should be 4/64 chance in winning so less of a reward than a solo win.

Knight 49 107

Do you have to stay at the end of the match in order to earn gold/xp ? It was a thing in Red Orchestra 2 and it was annoying, especially with maps that last more than 40min...
If we quit the server before the end, we should get the gold that we've collected during the playtime

Knight 2267 4085
  • 27 Feb
 Runagate

Rising Storm 2 for example allows progression (Although it is only cosmetics in that game to be unlocked) on unofficial servers and really I can't see much of a downside for it.

Count 331 1394
  • 27 Feb
 RingMaster

I think you should be rewarded for sticking through till the end but you shouldn't get NOTHING if you leave mid game. I think a sick way to encourage people staying and finishing a match is the way Halo Reach did it. The more you finished matches, the higher your chances were to be rewarded with extra credits at the end. So if you haven't left a match mid way through for ages and you've finished a lot of games then you have a higher chance at winning the jackpot.

Or you could just give bonus money for people finishing the game from start to finish.