Mordhau

Movement Animations

Duke 553 939
  • 15 Feb '19
 Goatie

Are the walking/running animations planned to be overhauled at any point?. I may be the only one here but up close in combat they are fine but from a side angle or any kind of distance players look very bobby, robotic and unnatural and it just screams 'alpha' to me. I never really made a post on it in the past since i figured it might just be me but i figure it's better to ask if it's being looked at in the future then not mention it and have it possibly looked over.

To anyone reading this please, go in game and spectate and specifically look at the legs and lower body while someone is running to see what i mean.

201 402
  • 15 Feb '19
 serbish

i think about this all the time, ive never played a game with such strange leg animations before. if they are looking to improve the leg movement, they should take notes from For Honor, as bad as that game is, leg animation was one of the few things it did very well.

i gotta say the hips, shoulders and head appear mostly static during movement too, as if you were wearing a back brace the whole time. and the fact theres no momentum or weight in pivoting/strafing it looks very glidey but perhaps this is the intent.

Knight 928 2545
  • 15 Feb '19
 Pred

Yeah, I brought this up a couple of times and it always seemed like I'm the only one having an issue with it.

It's especially glaring with when you watch in slow motion and "footwork drags" further exacerbate it. People walk 90 degrees to the side or even backwards, with legs clipping through each other while their torso is facing forward. Sometimes they look like skating on the ground. It's weird as fuck.

Duke 553 939
  • 15 Feb '19
 Goatie

Yeah that's how I would describe it too, having their backs constantly hunched forward in an uncomortable static position while their knees kick up.

Knight 528 3382
  • 15 Feb '19
 rob_owner

i see exactly what youre describing in my head but it looks really horrifying there, like a humpback with their knee shooting up to the sky, you should provide clips and gifs and stuff pretty please

Knight 928 2545
  • 15 Feb '19
 Pred

@rob_owner said:
i see exactly what youre describing in my head but it looks really horrifying there, like a humpback with their knee shooting up to the sky, you should provide clips and gifs and stuff pretty please

https://streamable.com/gftxs

Clip is old but still relevant.

Duke 553 939
  • 15 Feb '19
 Goatie

That is some of it but yes, literally just watch a bot run while spectating from the side and look how uncomfortable and unnatural they look. It probably plays into combat as well like that clip but i'm looking at it from a purely cinematic point of view. Just compare the animation to even chiv or just any game really, they look stiff as hell and hunched. Spectating a match from above would be yikes to anyone wanting to see footage of the game.

Knight 268 709
  • 15 Feb '19
 Iodine

I second this. Combat-unimportant animations (run, interact, crouch, etc) need a mocap overhaul tbh

Duke 5533 13191
  • 16 Feb '19
 Jax — Community Manager

@SherbershLemel said:
i they should take notes from For Honor, as bad as that game is, leg animation was one of the few things it did very well.

FH can do better leg animations because they have lock-on combat and also probably thousands upon thousands of dollars to do mocap

2408 4893
  • 16 Feb '19
 Maci

Eh, looks good enough to me tbh
I'd much rather have them focus on the more important animations

201 402
  • 16 Feb '19
 serbish

@Jax said:

@SherbershLemel said:
i they should take notes from For Honor, as bad as that game is, leg animation was one of the few things it did very well.

FH can do better leg animations because they have lock-on combat and also probably thousands upon thousands of dollars to do mocap

that is a valid point. the leg animations really are good enough in mordhau, but if improving them comes down to a few tweaks then it should be looked at. not expecting any kind of overhaul to it tho.

King 2430 3415

Let me get my mocap suit on

149 231
  • 18 Feb '19
 elToroGuapo

@Pred said:

@rob_owner said:

https://streamable.com/gftxs

Clip is old but still relevant.

hahahahah those shitty animations