Mordhau

What is the end goal for light loadouts?

17 49
  • 24 Feb
 Rhike

Oh, come on, man. Complaining about 2-3-0 whilst we got a buff to the Executioner Sword that lets you one-shot naked legs, and a lot of weapons 2HK'ing legs+torso?

331, 231, 330, 230 are not "basically full protection" at all.

I've studied damage and armor for tens of hours. I can say for sure that 333=332, but if you go any lower you suffer losses.

Easy example of a loss - 231, vs longsword, get hit in the head and in the legs = dead.
2HK.

I do not advocate for this rock-paper-scissors gameplay, but it exists - Light armor usually gets 2HK by everything including smaller weapons (and that's the usual counter aside from Exe sword 1HK), but, in turn, light armors can footwork blunts easier with no reduction in effectiveness.

I believe the damage system is fair, after having used all the armors. However, T2 chest majorly sucks. Extremely so.
(The nerf to lower legs should help the current 332 331 users)

With that out of the way, I'll address my personal opinions.

Yes, Longsword's OP.
I do want plate armor to be costed at 4, but then you'd break the image of a full plate knight with a greatsword, which is undoubtedly a selling point. Also it screws with the otherwise linear system. So, I do not think that is a solution unless you're revamping more things.
Right now there's little incentive to go light armor aside from literally one thing; Halberd. We need more things like that. Polehammer? OP perks? Buckler? An actual historical long, high-cost one-handed Rapier? Something of the sort.
Personally, lunge is the issue, but, as others mentioned, it's a noob-friendly mechanic.

Duke 2266 4007
  • 24 Feb
 Huggles

@Rhike said:
Oh, come on, man. Complaining about 2-3-0 whilst we got a buff to the Executioner Sword that lets you one-shot naked legs, and a lot of weapons 2HK'ing legs+torso?

331, 231, 330, 230 are not "basically full protection" at all.

I've studied damage and armor for tens of hours. I can say for sure that 333=332, but if you go any lower you suffer losses.

Easy example of a loss - 231, vs longsword, get hit in the head and in the legs = dead.
2HK.

I do not advocate for this rock-paper-scissors gameplay, but it exists - Light armor usually gets 2HK by everything including smaller weapons (and that's the usual counter aside from Exe sword 1HK), but, in turn, light armors can footwork blunts easier with no reduction in effectiveness.

I believe the damage system is fair, after having used all the armors. However, T2 chest majorly sucks. Extremely so.
(The nerf to lower legs should help the current 332 331 users)

With that out of the way, I'll address my personal opinions.

Yes, Longsword's OP.
I do want plate armor to be costed at 4, but then you'd break the image of a full plate knight with a greatsword, which is undoubtedly a selling point. Also it screws with the otherwise linear system. So, I do not think that is a solution unless you're revamping more things.
Right now there's little incentive to go light armor aside from literally one thing; Halberd. We need more things like that. Polehammer? OP perks? Buckler? An actual historical long, high-cost one-handed Rapier? Something of the sort.
Personally, lunge is the issue, but, as others mentioned, it's a noob-friendly mechanic.

What you're missing is how 80% of the hits go toward the chest. A lot of times even when you are explicitly aiming for legs you hit chest. Hitting head is also very hard to do and focusing on it results in a lot of missed hits. All of this is in duels, in teamfights it becomes even harder.

Executioner is very hard to land hits with period because of its low release high windup nature. It is slow af, has no combos, and has shit drags.

Against all the meta loadouts, there really is no reason currently to not go 3-3-1, 2-3-1. I will give you that naked legs are probably a bit more compromising than I made out to be, but the fact remains that aiming for the legs only is pretty risk and hard to do in general because of how much that opens you up to footwork and how often attacks that are supposed to hit the legs count towards chest damage.

Also regardless of any of this we basically agree on the main points, right?

Knight 925 2541
  • 24 Feb
 Pred

Landing head hits is especially hard when the basic defensive move after every screw up is to put you head between your legs and 180 outta there.

Knight 3294 6738
  • 24 Feb
 Bodkin

@Pred said:
Landing head hits is especially hard when the basic defensive move after every screw up is to put you head between your legs and 180 outta there.

lmao yeah

Though sometimes when I try that I still somehow get hit in the head lol

Knight 513 1043

The ideal scenario for armor in general should be encouraging new players to use medium armor and big weapons, and having light/heavy be more specialized and harder to play as.