Mordhau

Firepots are toxic.

1028 1660

Firepots do not add anything to the game but a means to troll and grief. These "fire mages" just camp ammo crates wearing absurd outfits and spamming melee hot spots, killing allies and enemies alike. It's disgusting. I imagine there's already plenty of fire cancer footage, if anyone hasn't played with these trolls yet.

Even when used "the right way" or in a tactical manner, firepots don't feel fair and look... ugly? Jax once argued firepots are tactically important and add depth because they're great for blocking off hall ways, corridors and the like. Read that again slowly.

That's not a good thing at all.

A player takes it upon himself to be "tactical" and throw it down a corridor or block a door. So now the enemy has to wait for 30 seconds or so fore the fire goes away and continue the fight? What about his allies that want to fight in the tight corridor but now have to wait as well. Ofcourse the guy who threw the firepot is now at an ammo crate getting another.

Imagine a bunchof people were trapped in the corridor fighting, but due to collision boxes of people behind/infront and the confusion of melee, cannot get out. Sure it was "strategic" but that doesn't feel very fair for those who are killed or worse, tked by the fire.

In a melee action game, axes, shields and swords should be blocking off doorways/corridors. Not AoE grenades.

Yes, I use the burn protection perk on alot of my classes. No, this doesn't make fire any less annoying or obnoxious.

SOLUTION:

Remove fire pots from multiplayer load out selection.

Remove Fire pot and Smoke pot's ability to be refilled from ammo crates.

Firepots should only be available for common use in Horde mode, maybe BR and should never be anything more than a map pickup item in TDM, FL or DM.

1244 3697

no they're fire

175 368

they really dont add anything to the game, so much waiting around for the fire to go away, and griefers are all too common.

but obviously they have to be in the game in some form or another.

• reduce the obnoxiously large coal pit radius,
  • also let us be able to jump over them without taking damage, honestly.
  • or, give the fire pot some actual utility, other than to annoy people. like activating an explosive barrel, or something cool like that.
Knight 906 2497
 Pred

Yesterday we played a round on Tourney that pretty much boiled down to fighting for control of ammo box and the right to spam the spawn entrance of the opposing team. One time I was trying to throw fire behind the enemies in a big group fight but it broke hitting a pallisade and I got a triple kill on my teammates lmao.

Some other time I got 21 kills + 15 assists and top score with only fire. Would have a few more if not for the team kill penalties ayyyy lmao amirite guys.

But yeah, they are terrible, pretty much a griefer tool to ruin the game.

@SherbershLemel said:

• also let us be able to jump over them without taking damage, honestly.

Hahahaha, so now when a firepot lands in a group fight people will not only run the fuck outta there like a bunch of headless chicken, but they will be skipping like bunnies too! A sight to behold.

Knight 326 759

If it were up to me they would be removed from the game.

Why they are re stockable is one of those things that I always presumed was just overlooked and not hotfixed.

at the very least, they shouldn't do any sort of significant damage unless thrown directly on a target lighting a single target on fire with maybe the potential to spread. So they take at least 1/4 of a brain to use.

Let's just make it easy though and remove them altogether :D

324 864
  • 9 Feb
 Xatrian

if anyone thinks they don't need to be changed, feel free to come into an NA server while lazy is lighting everything on fire and topscoring

Knight 906 2497
 Pred

@AngelEyes said:
If it were up to me they would be removed from the game.

One problem is they bring negative value to the game like no other thing.

Another one is - if devs really love them in the game for some reason why the hell are they a viable "weapon" to get high scores? It's ridiculous, you literally make a Fire Mage class in the game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even in shooters you can't play a grenades-only class and expect to high score.

1028 1660

Just imagine 32v32 player TDM featuring a few fire mages

239 287
  • 9 Feb
 idiotgod

TBH firepots aren't "fun". They detract more from the game in "fun" and realism than they add to any "strategy". The only viable "strategy" they have is to spam in fights and doorways, which doesn't actually do anything aside from take away health that would have otherwise been spent fighting... which I thought was the point of the game. So firepots are literally antithetical to the purpose of the game's existance, on top of that, they are unrealistic and stupid in general....

… because even though something akin to a firepot existed, they didn't hand them out to half of the fucking troops of a battalion. They weren't common. Besides, how do you fight with a big glass vial on you? full of flammable shit... how are they lighting these things on the fly? can we get a lighter animation? Maybe some medieval matches? or are we just flint MASTERS? is it a combination of chemicals that explode when mixed? Cause if that is the case they definitely wouldn't hand them out to hundreds of random soldiers.

Baron 1551 2079

The way they work makes no sense, as i pointed out before, heat should be damage over time. And different materials transfer heat and burn at different rates. So i suggested we take this real world logic and apply it to the rules of the game. If you wear level 3 armor on your legs, (means your legs are wrapped in padding wrapped in metal) you shouldn't take firepot damage unless you're standing still.

This incentivizes use of 3 on legs which isn't popular. And solves the problem of firepots being too OP/annoying for those who hate firepots.

If you impliment my idea also Reduce firepots to 1 and make them a 1 use item. Up the damage on naked legs a lot. This should balance it out. Make it more satisfying to use, and less annoying to get hit by, cause as you pick your loadout, you have several options to mitigate FP damage.

Also add crispy damage texture to naked feet and lower legs.

I forgot they added unoptional pants tho so maybe the pants get charred off haha

Knight 30 65
  • 10 Feb
 last_apoc

There was a thread about firepots a while back Here I want to post here what I typed there (if that's not okay with the mods, feel free to delete this post)

"I think firepots are good right now. They serve as area denial and I've seen them put to intelligent use.

An example of intelligent firepot use was during a skirmish on tourney. A member of the enemy team rushed to the ammobox on the platform outside, and someone from my team threw a firepot on the stairs he came from.. He was then trapped with a few of us and quickly taken down without any backup from his teammates..

I don't think the firepot is in Mordhau simply because it was in Chivalry. It serves as a valuable area denial tool and in my opinion has its place in the game."

My opinion hasn't changed since that post - they can be annoying, sure.. But they are yet another tool that players have access to, and I believe tools like this are important and add depth to a game like Mordhau

King 2408 3365

Replace firepots with fire arrows :B

1028 1660

@last_apoc said:
There was a thread about firepots a while back Here I want to post here what I typed there (if that's not okay with the mods, feel free to delete this post)

"I think firepots are good right now. They serve as area denial and I've seen them put to intelligent use.

An example of intelligent firepot use was during a skirmish on tourney. A member of the enemy team rushed to the ammobox on the platform outside, and someone from my team threw a firepot on the stairs he came from.. He was then trapped with a few of us and quickly taken down without any backup from his teammates..

I don't think the firepot is in Mordhau simply because it was in Chivalry. It serves as a valuable area denial tool and in my opinion has its place in the game."

My opinion hasn't changed since that post - they can be annoying, sure.. But they are yet another tool that players have access to, and I believe tools like this are important and add depth to a game like Mordhau

Intelligent usage, yes. That's an example of a fire pot used the right way. But did that feel very fair to the guy trapped by the fire or to his team mates who have to stand around like idiots for the fire to go away. But then, what if this were 64p chaos and someone from one or both teams decided to throw another firebomb into the confined area you were all trapped in? He would've intelligently killed all of you while trapped by your own firebomb.

We've seen what one single player determined to fire bomb an entire match can do... now imagine what 3/64 players can do, or 5 or 6 or God forbid 10. Imagine the Patchie fucks joining a server after release and using firebombs instead of mauls. Fire will be OP in FFA and even more annoying.

I've heard rumors that Frontline will have a final objective for the losing team where they play defense or some such, like a last stand. This would be an acceptable setting to have a reasonable amount of firebombs available near their position on certain maps. But everyone being allowed to pack 6 fire bombs from the getgo and being allowed to refill at the ammo crate is toxic.

324 864
  • 10 Feb
 Xatrian

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
But everyone being allowed to pack 6 fire bombs from the getgo and being allowed to refill at the ammo crate is toxic.

3, not 6

Knight 14 13
  • 10 Feb
 Fëanor

2 cost item countered with a 1 cost perk. Why are you complaining? Just use fireproof perk. Ez.

Knight 3261 6668
  • 10 Feb
 Bodkin

While I agree they need tweaks, I would never say they add nothing to the game.

They have the very distinct purpose of forcing people to move once objectives become a thing. That is huge and likely necessary to break a stalemate that a very good defense is causing.

Firepots on their own are fine, they only become cancer in large quantities. The problem is that ammo boxes currently only have a 15sec cooldown, exacerbating the issue since each pot lasts like 10 seconds. They need to make ammo box cooldown an individual specific thing (no more fighting over ammo) and make the cooldown last like 45secs. So this makes it where if you want to spam utility items you will at the very least have to move to another crate each time.

Smokes are fine imho. Nothing wrong with them really. Would be cool if we had a smoke vision perk though for sure.

239 287
  • 10 Feb
 idiotgod

what if you take half damage when sprinting?

This way it can still be used tactically, at choke points, and in battles, but not as effective if just spammed at randoms which is totally worth doing ATM

1028 1660

@Fëanor said:
2 cost item countered with a 1 cost perk. Why are you complaining? Just use fireproof perk. Ez.

I use Fireproof on many of my load outs, which I've already stated at the top and many times to you in game. I don't get angry when I die by fire... I get angry when someone I was about to kill anyways gets killed by their own teams fire. In any case I'm not complaining about their lethality... I don't think a damage nerf is appropriate at all.

I think they simply shouldn't be available for loadouts and they most certainly should not be available from ammo crates. Removing their ability to be refilled alone will not stop people from simply committing suicide as they often do already when they can't get to the ammo crate. More would have to be done such as removing them from load outs or limiting them to just 1 per person like in Chivalry... Map pick up item seems the best way to allow their existence in team combat.

1028 1660

@Bodkin said:

Smokes are fine imho. Nothing wrong with them really. Would be cool if we had a smoke vision perk though for sure.

Smoke is annoying but not nearly as annoying as Fire. I don't think they should be ammo box replenish-able since they can be spammed just as easily, though.

Conscript 180 465
  • 10 Feb
 Shovonem

Firepots cost 2 points. It seems fair that you can not cross a chokepoint for a few seconds since someone just 'wasted' 2 points. Although I have witnessed the cancer but I think the main issue is that a lot of the maps we play are quite small at this moment. I don't know if maps like tourney/contraband will remain the same for TDM/Skirmish/FFA. For example, firepots are not as effective in the 'frost map'. Mostly because it's big and there are a lot of places to fight in. Another problem is you can throw pots in enemy spawn. Although in some maps, archers can shoot from spawns as well so that should be sorted out as well.
Tbh maybe they should just remove ammo boxes from the game and just give archers more default ammo. Fire mages are not the only people that spams around the map. It's the same for throwing axe build and archers.