Mordhau

Battle Royale

Duke 754 1201
  • 1 Feb '19
 Stumpy

Im very sceptical, but also very excited.
Reason being that i love BR games, but i dont think it will be so good.
It will need alot of work to be good, big and balanced maps, balanced drop/loot system, statistic/win tracker.
And alot of new people will come mainly for this mode and if it does not live up to current standards then i guess you can say hello to shitty reviews and goodbye to big chunks of the playerbase.

But if it's properly made, with horses and big, immersive and seamless maps, 100 players, duo mode, squad mode. Some kind of ranking system, because who would want to do battle royale if you dont "win" anything. win tracking and rank system could be the prize.
There should be a level system where you gain xp or something as you play.

Considering how popular and how much work a BR game is then this mode should be the most popular one, seconded by ranked, then casual games/custom modded ones.
Please dont make a shitty battle royale mode to ride the cashgrab hypetrain!!!!!!11!

42 131
  • 1 Feb '19
 KingOfSow

I think a very important thing to make battle royale enjoyable is the implementation of archers and projectiles.

Because if there is no automatic health generation, someone with a bow can lower someones health really low without the other person having any chance to fight back, if he doesn't have a bow of his own. I know you can regen health with bandages, but healing yourself just gives the archer more time to run away and keep shooting you from a distance.

I'm really interested how Triternion will implement archers. Maybe bows should not have a quiver with them when you pick them up, so you only have like 3 arrows, just like when you pick up bows in the regular modes without having a quiver.

Mercenary 21 50
  • 1 Feb '19
 Beedrill

tbh if BR isn't the main game, it shouldn't be presented as such. I'm fine with it being presented as a fun mini-game and that's that, whilst the ranked focus is on the main competitive mode.

Nothing wrong with having game modes just for fun

1430 2175

Archery could work if picking up the projectile weapon works the same way it already does in melee. As in it only comes with 3 arrows/bolts that you better use well. No ammo quivers at all.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 1 Feb '19
 yourcrippledson

The devs have thousands of hours of experience balancing BR modes

Knight 3313 6811
  • 1 Feb '19
 Bodkin

Probably should make the bow decent just make it spawn in very limited quantity. Weapon tiering is basically the barebones of br anyway.

The good thing about BR is that there wont be many instances where you would even have to engage with said archer head on, since the map is a wide circle. I think the dumbest thing in the world is people zerg rushing against a good archer when they have no advantages in that scenario

201 403
  • 1 Feb '19
 serbish

who cars, br is joke mode for normies to bash heads together while the rest of us play the real game

Knight 30 65
  • 1 Feb '19
 last_apoc

The thing about archery in BR is we don't know how they are handling ammo yet - which will dictate how strong archery is.. If you have to find arrows from chests, and those arrows are limited/rare bows will naturally be used more sparingly. Another variable we don't know about is how much ammo you can hold at a time which will be important too.

I'm sure the devs are very aware of the issues that archery can cause and are balancing these things so it's not too much of a problem.

Knight 54 64
  • 2 Feb '19
 fmay2123

Will we have more than three weapon slots to carry all the loot we get?

239 289
  • 2 Feb '19
 idiotgod

Is that why the devs decided to add the crafting thing? Cause I don't remember backing for a crafting BR mode TBH

Duke 986 1381
  • 2 Feb '19
 PadanFain

@fmay2123 said:
Will we have more than three weapon slots to carry all the loot we get?

yes I believe its 5 for BR

Baron 21 28
  • 2 Feb '19
 corvid_a

We haven't seen footage from any of these marquee modes. As far as I'm concerned, they don't exist

Knight 766 3328
  • 2 Feb '19
 Mittsies

I'd prefer if mordhau's battle royale felt more like a small gladiator arena where you're already fighting within seconds after the match starts, rather than some big drawn out looting & walking simulator with a few engagements sprinkled in. basically nothing more than a last-man-standing gamemode with various weapons laid around the map.

Conscript 1 0
  • 2 Feb '19
 TerrorSquid

i thinks so too, it doesnt have to be BR like pubg, with a huge map and a 100 ppl. Just think about it, this is melee, you only fight with ppl who are a couple meters away from not a couple dozen or hundred meters. If it was huge map, it would just be a lot of walking.
I know bows exist, but they are easy to dodge or block from a distance.

Conscript 192 478
  • 3 Feb '19
 Shovonem

Perhaps BR mode should focus more on archers idk. Most BR games are shooters anyways. Although we've only got 3 kind of archer weapons so that's something. Melee would also be important but only if the fight comes down to close quarters. Most people would try to shoot each other down from far.

Something other than just a blue circle closing in as zone could be nice. There are new BR games that uses unique features as zone. For example, Ring of Elysium uses storm, Valhall has an interesting feature as well. Mordhau could use it's own.

Duke 5550 13280
  • 3 Feb '19
 Jax — Community Manager

Archery weapons are balanced by rarity, and certain mechanics work differently - in BR, armor doesn't slow you down, it's a simple upgrade. This would be OP in normal modes but is balanced by rarity, just like bows. If you can find it, it's possible to run around with a longbow, crossbow, zweihander and full heavy armor. It's highly unlikely you'd get all this simply from looting, but killing other players and stealing their armor/weapons instead. On top of this, you can't just run up to an ammobox nearly as easily, as these will most likely be guarded by enemies looking to steal a free ranged weapon from you.

As for the general pacing, it should play out much faster than a shooter-based BR mode would. Lots of players on the maps means that you're most likely going to end up fighting someone off in the first 30-60 seconds, either with fists or the first thing you can get you hands on.

Duke 754 1201
  • 3 Feb '19
 Stumpy

@Jax How long would a match last, would it be 10 minute max since 100 people spawn in a small map and it's just a huge clusterfuck with no time for looting and arranging inventory, bandaging and such if the place is too crowded?
What are the rewards of a win?
Would we be able to team up with friends and win with them? (Not just team up randomly but forced to kill eachother in the end because only 1 could win)
Will there be horses?
Can we expect to test this before release?
If not i suppose we can test what's probably a shitshow along with the casual release peasants.
Also when will the next patch release?

239 289
  • 3 Feb '19
 idiotgod

@Jax said:
Archery weapons are balanced by rarity,

So whoever finds the bow won't have to worry about many other bowman? :D

@Mittsies said:
I'd prefer if mordhau's battle royale felt more like a small gladiator arena where you're already fighting within seconds after the match starts, rather than some big drawn out looting & walking simulator with a few engagements sprinkled in. basically nothing more than a last-man-standing gamemode with various weapons laid around the map.

If they did this they couldn't say "INCLUDING BR MODE" cause the kids'd be like "dat ain no br mode yo scammerz"

Knight 766 3328
  • 3 Feb '19
 Mittsies

@Jax said:
in BR, armor doesn't slow you down, it's a simple upgrade.

never been a fan of mechanical inconsistencies across game-modes tbh

62 155

Can't really imagine BR working, feels a bit tacked-on just for the sake of having it. Hopefully it works out.