Mordhau

Videos of the unreadable animations, and how should I read them?

Knight 39 111

@vanguard said:

@thecrc-cristian said:
Even if we tell you the theory, you still need to practice, the more you play the more you will get used to animations so they will become more readable to you, there is no other way to get good. Even if you get raped all the time you will get there with time as you are going get used. Of course there are factors like insiders and failed parries etc but that happens to all of us and until its not fixed you cant do much. This isnt like "they tell me how to avoid drags so I can immediately apply it successfully", you must play.

Yeah I understand that, I wanted to know the theory so I can put it into practice. To know what I was doing wrong or right, if there is some technique that I'm missing, or some clue in the animation that I'm not paying attention to, and if there isn't any clue, to see if this is or not a problem. Imho it kinda is, but idk.

Like, Monsterii said my footwork and mouse movement are stuttery, I just asked what exactly he means by that and if he can point it in the video, so I can improve. These sort of things you see.

Your footwork is basically going always back, mix it up going sometimes to the right or left. Also you dont chamber enough, you are falling for these feints because you dont use that huge help called chambers. While you get used to animations I would recommend you chambering the first atack and if you notice that its a drag, just ftp, this way you will increase your survability in general.

2385 4845
  • 25 Jan
 Maci

@thecrc-cristian said:

@vanguard said:

@thecrc-cristian said:
Even if we tell you the theory, you still need to practice, the more you play the more you will get used to animations so they will become more readable to you, there is no other way to get good. Even if you get raped all the time you will get there with time as you are going get used. Of course there are factors like insiders and failed parries etc but that happens to all of us and until its not fixed you cant do much. This isnt like "they tell me how to avoid drags so I can immediately apply it successfully", you must play.

Yeah I understand that, I wanted to know the theory so I can put it into practice. To know what I was doing wrong or right, if there is some technique that I'm missing, or some clue in the animation that I'm not paying attention to, and if there isn't any clue, to see if this is or not a problem. Imho it kinda is, but idk.

Like, Monsterii said my footwork and mouse movement are stuttery, I just asked what exactly he means by that and if he can point it in the video, so I can improve. These sort of things you see.

Your footwork is basically going always back, mix it up going sometimes to the right or left. Also you dont chamber enough, you are falling for these feints because you dont use that huge help called chambers. While you get used to animations I would recommend you chambering the first atack and if you notice that its a drag, just ftp, this way you will increase your survability in general.

Why would you chamber man?
I have the bad habbit of chambering a lot because it used to be useful but now it just puts me at a stam disatvantage for pretty much no benefit. Sure, his footwork may not be the best, but how does it matter when it comes to animation readability? Vanguard pressing D instead of S won't suddenly fix the animations, they are still absolute tripe if you only as much as wiggle your mouse arround.

Conscript 4560 6299
  • 25 Jan
 vanguard

@thecrc-cristian said:

@vanguard said:

@thecrc-cristian said:

Your footwork is basically going always back, mix it up going sometimes to the right or left.

Yeah! I also notice that running into attacks can be good sometimes, before I thought it simply wasn't at all. In the videos I'm using S+A or D most of the time, especially on the second video of the OP which is the one where I survived for the longest time. Also crouching and looking a bit up too, is this recomended? I lose mobility but seems to give me a better vision of stuff.

Also you dont chamber enough, you are falling for these feints because you dont use that huge help called chambers. While you get used to animations I would recommend you chambering the first atack and if you notice that its a drag, just ftp, this way you will increase your survability in general.

That is true, I chamber little. Part of it is related to me still getting used to binds, as I used full 240 before and tbh I'm still messing around trying to find the most confortable binds for me, and part is that I try to play the stamina game and capitalize on this advantage that big weapons have. Will try to chamber more now.

What would you say about the parry? Can you force parries by shoving your parrybox into your opponent's handle or is this dumb? Like, is there any technique that is more efficient at forcing a parry?

Still about parries, should I always follow my opponent's weapon, or parrying more like in the center, looking at him but with little adjustmens to the incoming angle is better? I think I mostly start the parry looking at my opponent, than drag it in the direction of the attack, like, if its a footdrag, I drag the parry down etc

396 453
  • 26 Jan
 JasonBourne

Watch GIRU`s VODs (im not joking) and look how he moves.

Knight 765 3306
  • 26 Jan
 Mittsies

chambering is currently little more than a stamina tax for each attack you don't want to read.

Conscript 4560 6299
  • 26 Jan
 vanguard

@JasonBourne said:

Where I find these?

Baron 1551 2084

@conny said:
What if there was a way to parry with a longer range clash type of thing, like a strike that does not do damage and only deflects attacks and instantly makes it possible for both to attack again, i think it could be an intuitive way to deal with weird drags and spice up the back and forth thing. Chambers do this in a way but a third alternative witch brings clashes into the light. Something like this might be huge and not too time consuming to implement. Maybe not all weapons should have this feature. Thoughts?

I have seen this idea brought up independently several times. I like it a lot. Making parry closer to an attack animation would improve the feeling of just waiting for initiative. It'd be like you are still playing the fucking game when you are on defense and have actual options other than waiting.

Imagine that a fun defense. hey giru. A fun defense?

But unfortunately there is 0 serious interest for this, or or any even remotely ambitious or creative solution coming from the community in the forum right now. As it is obvious the devs aren't going to change much else and just wanna get the game out to the noobs.

396 453
  • 27 Jan
 JasonBourne

@vanguard said:

@JasonBourne said:

Where I find these?

https://www.twitch.tv/giru/videos

(I dont know if its legal to post this link, if not pls remove, admins)

Conscript 4560 6299
  • 27 Jan
 vanguard

@JasonBourne said:

@vanguard said:

@JasonBourne said:

Where I find these?

Thanks fren.

Why would this be illegal??

3234 4260
Mercenary 224 560
  • 27 Jan
 Izıl

gamble

Knight 928 2545
  • 27 Jan
 Pred

I get your points Vanguard, though it seems you've chosen not the best clips, attack types or weapon to demonstrate them. The attacker also doesn't really make them anywhere as cancerous as they can potentially be, especially with a forced facehug. If I was you in those clips, I would be running toward the attack with a parry and if I still got dragged by Longsword horizontal slash, I would just consider myself tricked I guess. Bigger weapons that can perform massive drags AND insta hits are more of a problem imo, when the meta is looking down and facehugging.

If they fake an OH accel and I still manage to catch the subsequential extreme drag with my parry because I tried to "read", in reality I only got lucky they didn't go for a real accel at first because I would just eat that 9 times out of 10 when "reading" (ie. I'm predicting they will go for a delay). It's really the same with fast 1 handers - I can occassionaly perform a "successfull read" of a feint or morph from Rapier or Axe but in reality I didn't read shit, I was just expecting a feint and got lucky it wasn't an accel.

Another problem that I didn't see mentioned here is how much of a drag is performed by footwork in this game - with a weapon like Zwei you can parry an attack that is right in your face, just to see it walk away with the player. Different footspeed with different armor just adds to ambiguity of drags.

1. Uppercut from a combo
  2. Riposte LMB ultra-accel
  3. Lookdown OH into lookup OH

These are the some of the worst in my opinion. No. 1 and 2 just have this initial moment of suspension between them and previous action (1st attack in 1, parry in 2) where I just stare and wonder - is it return to idle? Is it riposte windup? Is it a combo? No fucking idea. Then I die because yes, it was a riposte winding up so by the time it was over, I'm already taking damage.

2385 4845
  • 28 Jan
 Maci

@vanguard said:

@JasonBourne said:

@vanguard said:

@JasonBourne said:

Where I find these?

Thanks fren.

Why would this be illegal??

He regularly shows his empty ballsack on his streams ever since he lost his balls