Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

Whiff Punishing

Knight 103 267
  • 25 Jan '19
 GAYFISH

Honestly I thought whiff punishing was in a great spot before the introduction of stam recovery on hit.
If you were skilled enough to force misses and punish your opponent's poor stam management while remaining aggressive you were rewarded by winning the stam war.
But now that stam on hit exists punishing whiffs and poor stam usage is much more inconsistent since you can regain anywhere from 13-20 stamina by landing a single hit.
I feel like this greatly encourages more brainless combo/morph feint spam because poor stamina usage is much more difficult to punish.
I really don't know why this mechanic was added, did anyone think it was necessary?

Duke 2266 4010
  • 25 Jan '19
 Huggles

@GIRUGIRU said:
"Gambling can ensue out of this, where someone whiffs and just comboes expecting you to feint the punish. Then you have to guess what they're going to do, because you can't wait for their input and then feint, the timing doesn't realistically allow for that. "

This is just wrong as well, morphs prevent this. It's not Chivalry

You still have to waste stamina for what should be a risk free/cost free punish for a mistake tbh. The consequence of making a mistake should always be getting hit. In mordhau there's a lot of ways to just avoid this at the cost of stamina, and it makes the game for the worse imho. Just adds a lot of annoying survivability and makes the game feel less lethal. It also makes veterans basically untouchable to anyone but other veterans which is bad for when noobs come into the game.

Duke 2266 4010
  • 25 Jan '19
 Huggles

@GAYFISH said:
Honestly I thought whiff punishing was in a great spot before the introduction of stam recovery on hit.
If you were skilled enough to force misses and punish your opponent's poor stam management while remaining aggressive you were rewarded by winning the stam war.
But now that stam on hit exists punishing whiffs and poor stam usage is much more inconsistent since you can regain anywhere from 13-20 stamina by landing a single hit.
I feel like this greatly encourages more brainless combo/morph feint spam because poor stamina usage is much more difficult to punish.
I really don't know why this mechanic was added, did anyone think it was necessary?

The issue is stamina being a huge part of gameplay in general imho. Stamina should be less of a balancer and more just as a barebones mechanic that keeps fights from lasting a zillion years. Stamina was simply too limiting in chivalry and I think it's changed for the better in mordhau, but that being said there are simply too many powerful moves solely "balanced" by stamina. Chief among all these being the chamber. Chamber is a read anything mechanic for the cost of stamina and it's pretty gay that way imho. And everyone just morph spams everything and it overall leads to combat feeling extremely non-committal and less than lethal with a lot of prolonged artificial survivability.

239 289
  • 25 Jan '19
 idiotgod

@GIRUGIRU said:
All people are gonna do is miss and run away after, will look retarded.

Combat already looks retarded. How is this an argument? The fact that it looks so bad the way it is in an intuitive and logical way is one of my main arguments that's yet to be refuted. Rob just kind of meandered off into "well every man has his own way" kind of bullshit and then you cam along and was all "this is fine, lets wait for the devs to agree with me"

@Huggles said:

@GIRUGIRU said:
"Gambling can ensue out of this, where someone whiffs and just comboes expecting you to feint the punish. Then you have to guess what they're going to do, because you can't wait for their input and then feint, the timing doesn't realistically allow for that. "

This is just wrong as well, morphs prevent this. It's not Chivalry

You still have to waste stamina for what should be a risk free/cost free punish for a mistake tbh. The consequence of making a mistake should always be getting hit.

This is exactly my point. Why are you allowed to be so sloppy with your swings AND footwork, and the "penalty" is just you have to read a morph or a feint?

I get the tactics involved, and why people would be afraid of losing them and having the game just get lamer as a result if nothing were to replace them. But they look bad and feel bad in an intuition sort of way for me, which has a real impact on the satisfaction of the combat. Different strategies would evolve anyway, there's no guarantee depth would be lost or gained tbh.

Knight 292 904
  • 25 Jan '19
 GIRUGIRU

It doesn't matter if it's a tiny window, it's safer to run away than risk getting deadzoned windowed

Ur idea is garbage man just learn to punish misses with the 9000 mechanics alreadyb

239 289
  • 25 Jan '19
 idiotgod

@GIRUGIRU said:
It doesn't matter if it's a tiny window, it's safer to run away than risk getting deadzoned windowed

More omniscience. Not an argument.

Ur idea is garbage man just learn to punish misses with the 9000 mechanics alreadyb

Literally just a declarative statement. Not an argument.

Might as well be flagged for spam

Knight 292 904
  • 25 Jan '19
 GIRUGIRU

I`ve been predicting and pushing the meta since Chivalry for the entirety of Mordhau I've pushed the meta.

Just because you're unable to comprehend high level play doesn't mean anything to me nor validates what you think. If this wasn't the case then none of the devs would listen t me

• 25 Jan '19
 GIRUGIRU
This comment was deleted.
Knight 1269 3811
  • 25 Jan '19
 Frise

Ah yes, "I can't argue so I will go with the I'm smart ur bad argument"

1430 2175

@GIRUGIRU said:
I`ve been predicting and pushing the meta since Chivalry for the entirety of Mordhau I've pushed the meta.

Just because you're unable to comprehend high level play doesn't mean anything to me nor validates what you think. If this wasn't the case then none of the devs would listen t me

The meta is disgusting, inhibits freedom, totally un-intuitive to beginners and too often do I walk into a duelyard where people are shit talking the game's current meta.

Knight 292 904
  • 25 Jan '19
 GIRUGIRU

Nobody agrees with this apart from and your little frise autism circle, it's the same people whining for years. At this rate the Devs will shut off from the forums entirely

If you want some carebear game you have alot of options

1. Viva pinata
  2. The Sims
  3. Minecraft
  4. Mario tennis
  5. Wii sports

And many, many other games. Why do you try and play a game like Mordhau, which is tailored for high skill.and brutal gameplay, when all you're going to do is write HUGE posts about nothing ? This game is about getting good and improving, not crying and making tantrums on the forums

Knight 1269 3811
  • 25 Jan '19
 Frise

Proposing improvements for the game != Not being able to adapt

I adapted to reverses and vanilla SoW feints in Chiv, doesn't mean the game wouldn't have been miles better if they had been adressed.

(Nevermind that you're telling me to git gud when you're adamant in wanting to give whiffers chances to not get punished for blatant mistakes)

You fail to understand a simple concept, use inconsistent arguments like the noob dilemma, which you use only when it's favourable to you, and then proceed to insult people when you have nothing else to say. Also don't forget about those times that you performed your usual "git gud" show in threads were devs themselves chimed in to say that those situation were actually bugs/in need of fixing, because of course, you don't put thought into your posts.

You try so hard to make everything revolve around your tough boy attitude, it's almost like being cuckolded made your ego fragile.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 25 Jan '19
 Frise

Let's put it like this:

Let's say that between release and combo windup, there was a period of 100ms where you cannot feint. Let's say that this had always been like this.

If in that case, I was Vanguard, and I uploaded this video from my PoV, where I whiff attacks and get punished with a free hit, and I said that we should be able to feint during that period, would you be on my side?

No, you wouldn't, you'd come up with your "just a l2p issue git gud" copypasta.

Knight 292 904
  • 25 Jan '19
 GIRUGIRU

Seeing as you're attempting to derail after being disproved, just to clarify:

You already have many, many ways to punish a miss. The only potential justifiable reason to add lockout in a game based around freedom because CFTP is instant it can look weird - but the downsides of adding ur silly little idea vastly outweigh that and it doesn't take a massive post with 99% irrelevancy to address that either

Projecting and throwing insults at me is a very desperate and vain attempt at winning a debate

Knight 1269 3811
  • 25 Jan '19
 Frise

@GIRUGIRU said:

Well isn't that ironic

239 289
  • 25 Jan '19
 idiotgod

@GIRUGIRU said:
Nobody agrees with this apart from and your little frise autism circle, it's the same people whining for years. At this rate the Devs will shut off from the forums entirely

"Projecting and throwing insults at me is a very desperate and vain attempt at winning a debate"

I literally just joined the forum this year. I don't see how making logical suggestions is autistic or "whining". You honestly just come off as a little kid who thinks he is the best at everything but is in-fact totally disconnected from reality. No idea why the devs would listen to someone like this. Might explain a lot about what is wrong with this fucking game imo.

And many, many other games. Why do you try and play a game like Mordhau, which is tailored for high skill.and brutal gameplay, when all you're going to do is write HUGE posts about nothing ? This game is about getting good and improving, not crying and making tantrums on the forums

"Projecting and throwing insults at me is a very desperate and vain attempt at winning a debate"

The thread is about making the game look, feel, and play better. Look at this paragraph YOU wrote though, and like almost every other one. You insult BACKERS at every turn. You just 'declare' shit with piss-poor reasoning. When you're called out you just say "well I am the best so doesn't matter kids", usually pepper in a few more insults in a desperate and vain attempt at winning the debate.

@GIRUGIRU said:

You already have many, many ways to punish a miss. The only potential justifiable reason to add lockout in a game based around freedom because CFTP is instant it can look weird - but the downsides of adding ur silly little idea vastly outweigh that and it doesn't take a massive post with 99% irrelevancy to address that either

Projecting and throwing insults at me is a very desperate and vain attempt at winning a debate

You haven't actually pointed out any downsides that have been proven through testing though. It's literally all clairvoyant declarations we don't agree with. And the up-sides are so obvious, you've failed to show how they are out-weighed, you're just saying they are.

Why do the devs listen to you? How do you even masturbnate at night knowing whos cock you're touching?

Knight 292 904
  • 25 Jan '19
 GIRUGIRU

Well, you appear to be rather upset

If i had to explain the games mechanics to aggressive, arrogant people like you, i wouldn't be able to pay my bills and go to work because i would be here explaining to you the games fundamentals, which you don't quite seem to understand

I suggest you stop with your arrogance, I have thousands of hours balancing melee slasher, and i am very good at the game, therefore i know more than you

239 289
  • 25 Jan '19
 idiotgod

@GIRUGIRU said:
Well, you appear to be rather upset

If i had to explain the games mechanics to aggressive, arrogant people like you, i wouldn't be able to pay my bills and go to work because i would be here explaining to you the games fundamentals, which you don't quite seem to understand

I suggest you stop with your arrogance, I have thousands of hours balancing melee slasher, and i am very good at the game, therefore i know more than you

I have no respect for you. If you can't help but talk down to all those around you, you have a mental issue.

Knight 14 90
  • 25 Jan '19
 Wit

I've just about had enough of the arrogance of Giru Giru. This child comes into our forum after belittling and humiliating and upsetting backers who are simply trying to enjoy the game and make it fun for everyone to play. It is high time some justice was brought to the forums and the game. BAN GIRU GIRU!

Knight 33 119
  • 25 Jan '19
 Jinno

Here comes another post from Captain Retard, just typical crass behavior from everyone involved.