Mordhau
Mordhau Merch
Check out our merch shop!

101 FoV? Seems about 40 or 50 degrees too low.

Baron 1551 2087
Knight 1269 3811
Baron 1551 2087
  • 15 Jan '19
 yourcrippledson

@Frise said:
d.PNG

Dats da one

What is the point of an fov slider if one side is a joke and the other is barely acceptable?

140 66
  • 15 Jan '19
 s522662

i still fail to see why fov cannot be freely adjusted, it limits competitive players which is a no no zone

70 117
  • 15 Jan '19
 conny

Cuz then you got to make your game look like an oldschool-movie lsd tripp to avoid a disadvantage

324 865
  • 16 Jan '19
 Xatrian

if you can set the fov to whatever you want then everyone would just set it to 179 because that's what happened in chivalry as well amirite fellow elite gamers who don't move their mouse when they swing??

Knight 3313 6811
  • 16 Jan '19
 Bodkin

That is vertical fov, where 101 is equal to 130 horozontal fov. A dev with more knowledge can go more in depth than I can.

130 fov combined with camera distance is completely sufficient to play well. Huge fov in chiv was a major advantage at a high level and a crutch at a low one that makes the game seem like a garbage jankfest to anyone attempting to watch.

396 454
  • 16 Jan '19
 JasonBourne

fov is fine stop crying

Baron 1551 2087
  • 16 Jan '19
 yourcrippledson

@conny said:
Cuz then you got to make your game look like an oldschool-movie lsd tripp to avoid a disadvantage

Better than having to go download the FoV mod to avoid a disadvantage.

Duchess 6897 9885
  • 16 Jan '19
 Sir Zombie

To elaborate on what Bodkin said, 101 current fov is equal to 130 old fov on a 16:9 aspect ratio. However it gives a bigger advantage to wider aspect ratios, such as 21:9.

Don't judge the fov by the number. Judge it by how it actually looks.

Knight 766 3329
  • 16 Jan '19
 Mittsies

Frise's reply blew OP the fuck out so hard that this thread should just be closed on principles alone.

Also we already have several FoV threads:
https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/2580/field-of-view-130-cap/
https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/13887/raise-the-fov-and-the-animations-are-bad/
https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/13122/higher-fov/

On a sidenote: yourcrippledson I must say that your average post quality on the forums is extremely low and I am going to kindly ask you to improve your shitposting game. Every time I see your posts I am reminded that there is no way to filter or hide people's zero-effort trivial ass-drippings in text form.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 16 Jan '19
 yourcrippledson

Just as many of the top chiv players played at like 120 fov as 140, with the average 130. So it shouldn't be the upper limit here.

If 120 is viable in chiv vs 140s and 150s, where backspins were still a thing, how would 140 fov be so "gamebreaking" here?

How about instead of shitposting the shit posts about it we just TEST it for a patch? Thought the point of testing was testing shit out.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 16 Jan '19
 Frise

120 was always inferior to higher FoV values in Chivalry. Yes, some high-tier players used 120, but doesn't mean that 120 is on-par with higher FoVs. Those high-tier players stayed on low values not because it was optimal, but because it didn't look like shit/they were just used to it.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 16 Jan '19
 yourcrippledson

Moving the camera back would help too.
88da563d8f314a64d145fdb62daf0c10.jpeg

This is a fairly accurate representation of where our first person eyes actually are for some reason.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 16 Jan '19
 yourcrippledson

@Frise said:
120 was always inferior to higher FoV values in Chivalry. Yes, some high-tier players used 120, but doesn't mean that 120 is on-par with higher FoVs. Those high-tier players stayed on low values not because it was optimal, but because it didn't look like shit/they were just used to it.

Yeah and they weren't getting destroyed enough to warrant changing it. There are no backspins this game so the advantage is a fraction if what it was. I just want the game to not feel bad/restrictive next to its spiritual predecessor. Which imo it does.

Baron 1551 2087
  • 16 Jan '19
 yourcrippledson

@Bodkin said:
Huge fov in chiv was a major advantage at a high level and a crutch at a low one that makes the game seem like a garbage jankfest to anyone attempting to watch.

In my experience, since you have to move your camera more at lower FoV to see the same amount as a higher FoV, the higher FoV often times makes for a less janked out recording.

Knight 1269 3811
  • 16 Jan '19
 Frise

People that don't play the game and haven't played Chivalry are already complaining in comment sections of Youtube about the FoV being 'weird'. I do agree that the current FoV limit feels restricting, but we will have to live with that to avoid people getting scared off by awful FoV levels.

Knight 766 3329
  • 16 Jan '19
 Mittsies

Funny, I feel the same way about really-low FoV games: they look terrible and I generally avoid games with low FoV.

70 117
  • 16 Jan '19
 conny

What do you consider really low fov?

Knight 766 3329
  • 16 Jan '19
 Mittsies

@conny said:
What do you consider really low fov?

well it's personal preference, but (in horizontal FoV) 110 is about the lowest I can possibly stand. 100 is where things begin to get really claustrophobic, where if someone takes a small step to your left or right they fucking vanish. 90 is like trying to play the game while looking through binoculars made out of two toilet-paper rolls. on top of that, lower FoVs tend to give me motion sickness or lightheadedness after playing for more than 30 minutes. it gets even worse if the viewmodel FoVs are so low they take up anywhere from a quarter to half of your screenspace.