Mordhau

Introduce a "Hardcore Mode"

Knight 28 154

I miss the feel that Mordhau had during the pre-alpha gameplay videos. It seems like Mordhau is becoming a sort of "medieval Call of Duty," which isn't inherently bad and I'm sure a lot of people like that, but all the prominent HUD elements like damage and point notifications and the ding sounds when landing hits really changed the way the game feels.

With all these notifications, everything seems calculated. As in, you know exactly how much damage you've dealt and exactly how many more hits you'll need to land to kill someone. Archers are able to sit and camp while taking pot shots, hearing dings and watching their damage indicators until they're notified that they've gotten a kill, never having to wonder whether or not they've successfully landed a hit or if they need to move to a new position because their shots aren't landing. If you attack someone and they run away and get killed out of sight, you're notified that you've gotten a kill/assist. You never have to wonder whether you've killed an enemy and there are never any moments of surprise when you discover otherwise. Also, It never feels like you're a medieval soldier in battle, but more like some hack and slash arcade game because these elements ruin the atmosphere.

Now I assume that lots of people probably like the game this way, so I propose that severs be able to enable a sort of "hardcore mode" that would disable the kill feed, damage/kill notifications, hit markers, and hit marker sounds. Together, these changes would make gameplay more interesting and people would play more carefully while also making archers less annoying. Several of you are probably typing "but you can just disable it in the options!" Whether or not you can disable all of these elements within the options, I've already explained how their removal affects gameplay and would put you at a disadvantage. Anyway, I think such an option for servers could allow for better gameplay experiences, and because it would be optional, nobody would complain as it allows people to play the game they want.

Baron 133 241
  • 11 Jan
 EvilSuD

Permanently removing these elments would not change the game at all. This isnt insurgency where you will light up a window or a door and wonder if you hit the enemy. Usally when your shooting with a bow its a pretty clear wether you hit the enemy or not because they will flinch and you will see a the tracer hit their body. Also yea you can turn off these elements if you want, I have and I havent had any trouble telling if I got the kill or not.

Knight 684 1844

Meh, we should focus on the real enemy here, 3rd person. Pls remove.

Mercenary 2146 3828

Include server option: No HUD aaaand boom

Knight 695 2876
  • 12 Jan
 Mittsies

what you actually meant is "immersion mode"

Knight 28 154

@Mittsies said:
what you actually meant is "immersion mode"

Well I was referring to the hardcore mode from modern warfare that removed the HUD and kill feed

Baron 1551 2073

Ya it's exactly how i imagined when i backed the kickstarter. Bad combat hidden behind Call of Duty cover up.

Knight 209 990
  • 14 Jan
 Corsario

No HUD, no health recovery (other than from bandages), no 3rd person and vision restricted by helmet would be nice to have on some servers. Maybe we get a mod like this from the community.

Baron 1551 2073

There is another thread about proximity voices up. Maybe that's a feature only found in hardcore mode?

Baron 133 241
  • 15 Jan
 EvilSuD

Nah voip should be added to all modes.

Baron 36 339
  • 17 Jan
 Trix

@internetgoodboy said:
I miss the feel that Mordhau had during the pre-alpha gameplay videos. It seems like Mordhau is becoming a sort of "medieval Call of Duty," which isn't inherently bad and I'm sure a lot of people like that, but all the prominent HUD elements like damage and point notifications and the ding sounds when landing hits really changed the way the game feels.

With all these notifications, everything seems calculated. As in, you know exactly how much damage you've dealt and exactly how many more hits you'll need to land to kill someone.

Whether or not you can disable all of these elements within the options, I've already explained how their removal affects gameplay and would put you at a disadvantage.

This would be the case for those without experience, but playing without the score feed enabled still allows for quick judgement calls. In most cases, I'd argue that players would be at a disadvantage for relying on the score feed, and HUD elements in general.

Experienced players don't need to rely on the score feed to be able to determine how much health their opponent has. Mordhau has fairly low hit to kills and consistent damage values across the board. This means that if I have an understanding of each weapon in the game, I can fairly easily make the call that after someone has been hit once in the chest by a maul, they are going to die from the next strike to the head or chest. I could just look at the score feed, absolutely, but that adds in another layer to the moment. Let me compare the process between a player using the score feed to make the call, and a player that doesn't.

Score Feed enabled: Lands strike -> Looks down at score feed -> Reads score feed -> Looks back up at opponent -> Ready for followup

Score Feed disabled: Lands strike -> Notices where the strike landed -> Ready for followup

The key difference between the two is where they are focusing their attention. The player with the score feed disabled won't be breaking eye contact with their opponent, while the other will be. The period of time that the player is looking at the score feed may not be long, but they're still breaking focus. This may not be a problem in duels, where there isn't much an opponent can do to followup after they take a hit, but in team scenarios this can absolutely make a difference. You could potentially miss an audio or visual cue in that moment of hesitation.

Now, the argument can be made that they obviously wouldn't even bother looking at their damage in those situations. This would be the reasonable course of action. However, unless they know their weapon's damage against the respective armour types, then they would be making uninformed decisions in that moment. Essentially, this player would be fighting blind.

This process can be extended towards other HUD elements too. If I'm aware of how much stamina each action costs, and how long it takes for stamina regeneration to kick in, I really don't need to have a stamina bar enabled.

With all these notifications, everything seems calculated. As in, you know exactly how much damage you've dealt and exactly how many more hits you'll need to land to kill someone. Archers are able to sit and camp while taking pot shots, hearing dings and watching their damage indicators until they're notified that they've gotten a kill, never having to wonder whether or not they've successfully landed a hit or if they need to move to a new position because their shots aren't landing. If you attack someone and they run away and get killed out of sight, you're notified that you've gotten a kill/assist. You never have to wonder whether you've killed an enemy and there are never any moments of surprise when you discover otherwise. Also, It never feels like you're a medieval soldier in battle, but more like some hack and slash arcade game because these elements ruin the atmosphere.

I agree with your last statement, but disabling all the HUD elements does wonders for the game.

In regards to archery, I don't think altering those elements of the game will see any gameplay changes. Archers will always be annoying to deal with as melee because that's just how archers are designed. Being able to attack someone freely at a distance without any significant repercussions is their entire point, and outside of just removing ranged weaponry from the game this won't be going away. The best bet would be to lessen their influence in a battle. Two things that come to mind are to either nerf the damage of archers into oblivion, or put in place some sort of cap on the amount of ranged weapons that can be on the field at once. Very similar to how there's only a certain amount of horses, catapults and ballistae on each map.

Now I assume that lots of people probably like the game this way, so I propose that severs be able to enable a sort of "hardcore mode" that would disable the kill feed, damage/kill notifications, hit markers, and hit marker sounds. Together, these changes would make gameplay more interesting and people would play more carefully while also making archers less annoying. Several of you are probably typing "but you can just disable it in the options!" Whether or not you can disable all of these elements within the options, I've already explained how their removal affects gameplay and would put you at a disadvantage. Anyway, I think such an option for servers could allow for better gameplay experiences, and because it would be optional, nobody would complain as it allows people to play the game they want.

A hardcore mode would be interesting, but if it's just disabling HUD elements I doubt you'd be getting a gameplay experience that you can't already have. It would be more interesting if the proposed gamemode would instead force everyone into first person. There could also be room for experimenting with disabling health regen, but at that point we'd be better off just waiting for the Battle Royale gamemode.

Conscript 172 442
  • 17 Jan
 Shovonem

Tbh the most ridiculously annoying pop up this game has is the shield thing that appears when a player click parry. I can just disable the damage value thingy so I don't care much about it. In my opinion, less pop up is better for melee games than shooters because in shooter, people are far away and there's less 'animation reading' involved. Melee combat is up close and reading animation is one of the most important factor. It gets harder when fighting multiple enemies. However, I am not a big fan of 'hardcore mode' as there are some information that are quite important. For example, The new feature where it shows the loadout of the enemy that just killed you is a welcoming feature.

2344 4731
  • 19 Jan
 Maci

is this where they'll enable rape mechanics?????

Mercenary 217 540
  • 21 Jan
 Izıl

Hardcore mode would be sweet,
no visual/sound killfeed or HUD except for stam/health bar
no crosshair on bows/crossbows
no lunge to promote positioning and utilize weapon reach and make it harder to targetswitch in 1vX to prevent 5 ppl hitting ur back from 30m away
no 3rd person