Mordhau

Quick 240-input suggestion (Priming Attacks)

Knight 622 2420
 Mittsies

The ability to move your camera exactly where you want it then just hit a button is what makes binds so comfortable, consistent, and highly preferred by most players. You press a button and perform a right overhead: simple as that. However with 240-input, you have to abruptly stop your camera movement to pick an attack direction, which feels clunky to do, and will undoubtedly slow you down without immense practice. Even the best 240 users will have a hard time doing this as quickly as someone who only needs to push a button and not interrupt their camera movement.

So here's what I propose: you can bind a key to "Prime Angle", like a thumb-button on your mouse. While holding this button down you lock in an attack angle, such as a right over head, then release when you've got the angle you want. If you press the button again, it will unlock your angle. The next time you throw an attack, if there's a primed angle, it will automatically use that angle. You can set in your options to forget and unlock the primed angle after each strike, or to remember it until the prime keybind is hit again to clear it. You can also set in your options to lock camera movement while the prime button is held.

Untitled-2.png

Depicted above: a player has primed his angle (red crosshair). instead of throwing a horizontal attack like his white crosshair indicates, he will use the primed angle as soon as his strike input is pressed.

This would allow you to prepare an attack ahead of time, so when it comes time to do that tricky mixup or get your attack placed just right, all you have to do is press a button. Not only will you have PLENTY of time to prime your attacks during recovery periods, it's useful even if you only use it to determine your attack direction a few ms earlier. If you decide last minute that you don't wanna use that angle, you can just tap the keybind to unlock your angle.

Knight 2443 6275

Why not do the same with just holding lmb? It would fix the attack direction in place while hlyou hold it, and start the attack when you release it. And to cancel it you just press block

Knight 191 372
  • 9 Jan
 wierHL

@Rattsknecht said:
Why not do the same with just holding lmb? It would fix the attack direction in place while hlyou hold it, and start the attack when you release it. And to cancel it you just press block

Just to be clear: the attack isn't being wound up as long as you don't release the button right?
What I dislike most about M&B combat is how everyone looks like "OOGA BOOGA GRUG GON HIT U WITH SHINY CLUB".

Knight 2443 6275

@wierHL said:

@Rattsknecht said:

Just to be clear: the attack isn't being wound up as long as you don't release the button right?
What I dislike most about M&B combat is how everyone looks like "OOGA BOOGA GRUG GON HIT U WITH SHINY CLUB".

Yeah sure, the entirety of an attack starts after the button release, including the windup stage

Baron 1547 2038

@Rattsknecht said:

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/13052/holding-a-strike/#c10

" marox — Project Lead
The main issue with holding the button down and having the 240 react after the fact (or after releasing it) is input lag, which makes the input scheme quite sub-optimal. By input lag I mean the delay between pressing the button and releasing it."

Knight 1818 3166
  • 9 Jan
 Runagate

You misunderstand what is being suggested.

Knight 622 2420
  • 9 Jan
 Mittsies

Honestly, thinking about it some more, I feel like priming your angles should always be how 240 functions. I actually cannot think of a situation where you'd want to pick your angle at the same time you're going to attack. It's always going to be better to decide your angle ahead of time, even if just by a few hundred milliseconds, so that you're not delaying your inputs at all.

Conscript 4397 5906
 vanguard

It could work, might be a bit weird to get used to it but I think it could work. The thought process involved in it is completely different from both binds and what we have in the 240 system right now. Chambers could be weird to do with this system, at least in the beggining.

Idk tbh I'd test the fuck out of it