Mordhau

raise the fov and the animations are bad

Baron 1551 2083
  • 24 Dec '18
 yourcrippledson

@Naleaus said:
still would prefer they move the camera back a bit to allow you to see more of your arms.

I've been saying this since Alpha launch... I've never seen it addressed by a dev

Duke 5473 13074
  • 27 Dec '18
 Jax — Community Manager

It's because if the camera gets moved back more you'd have floaty arms

Baron 1551 2083
  • 27 Dec '18
 yourcrippledson

@Jax said:

So fix it

If it was by design to be so restrictive and that's how you guys want it, fair enough. But if you think it is too restrictive and just won't let us move it back cause you haven't finished the arms, why not just fix it?

Thanks for addressing this btw.

Knight 755 3279
  • 27 Dec '18
 Mittsies

@Jax said:

only immersion-virgins would care about something like that tbh

Duke 5473 13074
  • 27 Dec '18
 Jax — Community Manager

@yourcrippledson said:

@Jax said:

So fix it

If it was by design to be so restrictive and that's how you guys want it, fair enough. But if you think it is too restrictive and just won't let us move it back cause you haven't finished the arms, why not just fix it?

Thanks for addressing this btw.

we don't 'need' to fix the arms because nothing is wrong with them with the current camera, and in my opinion the FoV is fine. The whole point of the FOV cap is to make it so you can play optimally without having to make your game look awful, even 130 looks bad to people accustomed to playing most shooters.

it would be kinda neat to have more view of the body, but it'd probably introduce other issues - quite frankly, these things aren't top-priority and we have to focus on finishing the required parts of the game before we look into mainly cosmetic additions like this

Knight 755 3279
  • 27 Dec '18
 Mittsies

@Jax said:
in my opinion the FoV is fine.

I bet you think off-screen hits are fine too :^)

Baron 1551 2083
  • 27 Dec '18
 yourcrippledson

@Jax said:
it would be kinda neat to have more view of the body, but it'd probably introduce other issues - quite frankly, these things aren't top-priority and we have to focus on finishing the required parts of the game before we look into mainly cosmetic additions like this

True but this is a first person melee game and 99% of key gameplay is going to happen within 10 feet of your camera. And like 50% of that is going to be within facehugging range... This results in like half of the action happening off camera so this is as much about improving gameplay as it is about aesthetics.

If we had a higher fov 1v1 defense would be easier, so you could get away with reducing parry box slightly. If you can better see where your enemies attacks are in relation to your own body, directional attacks won't be as annoying to defend against.

See, maybe this is going to snowball into a solution that fixes the entire game?

324 864
  • 27 Dec '18
 Xatrian

The basic feel of the game isn't a top priority tbh

Duke 2266 4006
  • 30 Dec '18
 Huggles
  1. a slightly higher fov just feels better tbh

2. on the other hand, it will look ugly and turn off casuals

I think those are the main two things. Personally, I think the fov could be increased a bit and we'd be fine. Maybe 135-140. I honestly don't think it will look too bad unless we get into the 150 range.

Knight 1815 2219
  • 30 Dec '18
 Void

I think the game looks and plays fine with the current FOV. If it goes higher it will become the new norm and you'll end up with an ugly looking game on the media.

Baron 36 345
  • 31 Dec '18
 Trix

Anything higher than 110 horizontal looks pretty bad in footage. Even 110 has a bit of distortion and that's Mordhau's default. I think for the sake of this discussion we shouldn't be taking aesthetics into consideration because we're far beyond what would look acceptable from a spectators point of view, and I doubt the FOV will ever drop to more standard values to compensate for this. Instead, we should think about the impact on gameplay when we discuss camera balance.

I think first and third person perspectives would be a good place to start. I feel like both perspectives are fairly balanced at the moment, with third providing superior spatial awareness and first providing superior reading capabilities. However, I feel as if third person might be getting the better end of this bargain, so I wouldn't mind seeing some adjustments.

Increasing FPP FOV up to 135 or 140 wouldn't be the worst idea. These values could potentially bring it up to par with third person, whilst also satisfying those that prefer to play their games through the lens of a GoPro.

Alternatively, we could take this in a different direction and think of ways to tweak the third person camera. The Patch 18 camera distance tweak, as minor as it was, did actually serve as a buff. | Before | After |

I don't want to see this change reverted because I like how you can see the lower half of your player. However, the FOV should be lowered slightly to compensate for this change. I'd also like to see the overall FOV cap of TPP to be tested at about 10 degrees lower than it's current value. This should bring it more in-line with first person, whilst still being quite reasonable to play with.

These tweaks suggest that we should be balancing the game around high FOVs. This opens up a whole new discussion around what the standard should be for competitive if Mordhau ever grows to the point where it can sustain a scene, instead of camera settings being a matter of personal preference. But that's something worth discussing at a later date and in a different thread if Mordhau ever reaches that point.

2369 4810
  • 31 Dec '18
 Maci

@Trix said:
Anything higher than 110 horizontal looks pretty bad in footage. Even 110 has a bit of distortion and that's Mordhau's default. I think for the sake of this discussion we shouldn't be taking aesthetics into consideration because we're far beyond what would look acceptable from a spectators point of view, and I doubt the FOV will ever drop to more standard values to compensate for this. Instead, we should think about the impact on gameplay when we discuss camera balance.

I think first and third person perspectives would be a good place to start. I feel like both perspectives are fairly balanced at the moment, with third providing superior spatial awareness and first providing superior reading capabilities. However, I feel as if third person might be getting the better end of this bargain, so I wouldn't mind seeing some adjustments.

Increasing FPP FOV up to 135 or 140 wouldn't be the worst idea. These values could potentially bring it up to par with third person, whilst also satisfying those that prefer to play their games through the lens of a GoPro.

Alternatively, we could take this in a different direction and think of ways to tweak the third person camera. The Patch 18 camera distance tweak, as minor as it was, did actually serve as a buff. | Before | After |

I don't want to see this change reverted because I like how you can see the lower half of your player. However, the FOV should be lowered slightly to compensate for this change. I'd also like to see the overall FOV cap of TPP to be tested at about 10 degrees lower than it's current value. This should bring it more in-line with first person, whilst still being quite reasonable to play with.

These tweaks suggest that we should be balancing the game around high FOVs. This opens up a whole new discussion around what the standard should be for competitive if Mordhau ever grows to the point where it can sustain a scene, instead of camera settings being a matter of personal preference. But that's something worth discussing at a later date and in a different thread if Mordhau ever reaches that point.

Mordhau is an upcoming medieval first-person fighting game with a strong emphasis on skill-based competitive play.

Knight 755 3279
  • 31 Dec '18
 Mittsies

For at least one patch we should have full control over FoV, camera distance, camera placement (for third person), and view-models. This way we could mess around with all of these things and the community can possibly come to a general consensus on what feels the best and what's a good balanced middle-ground for both 1st and 3rd person perspectives.

Knight 917 2523
  • 31 Dec '18
 Pred

@Mittsies said:
For at least one patch we should have full control over FoV, camera distance, camera placement (for third person), and view-models. This way we could mess around with all of these things and the community can possibly come to a general consensus on what feels the best and what's a good balanced middle-ground for both 1st and 3rd person perspectives.

Let's have a 3rd person-only patch lol. Would be interesting.

395 451
  • 31 Dec '18
 JasonBourne

Lets combine it. Fist person cam with 150 fov and a small box in the topright corner of a 3rd person cam.

• 1 Jan
 Moses
This comment was deleted.
239 287
  • 4 Jan
 idiotgod

Why don't we just go with 90fov so it looks good in the media and we can just add a radar to the bottom right of the screen and auto lock on.

Duke 754 1200
  • 4 Jan
 Stumpy

All i want is a rotateable 3rd person camera so i can see my character from the front.
If you press ALT your camera changes to 3rd, and if you hold ALT you can rotate around in 3rd person.