Mordhau

Looking behind feature

Conscript 112 270
 Shovonem

There are certain first person fighting games that has looking behind feature.. for example, Dying Light and it's pretty cool. Not like exorcist head spinning shit but more of a partial lookback(seeing only left part when looking behind from left ). Can work great in Mordhau as well. Firstly, to judge distance while you are running from an enemy. Especially a very powerful positioning tactic in 1 v x to run to a side so the enemies are on a single side of the player. Being able to look behind will help make positioning better. Perhaps the player won't be able to strike/parry while looking behind. It could also force to run straight line idk. Although being able to parry a side while looking behind could also make this feature quite powerful in 1 v X unless it breaks the game. In combat, player would run to a side, quickly look behind to understand positioning and then go back to fighting. Small feature but has a lot of potential. Maybe I am just being too ambitious since you guys have added climbing. ;)

Duke 6717 9328
  • 6 Dec
 Sir Zombie

I like that you have to choose between running quickly and knowing how close the enemy is.

350 573

Players can already run away from feints, morphs and even some ripostes with full certainty they won't get hit even in T3. I rarely feint anymore unless my opponent is trapped or I have a very long weapon.

Knight 558 1402

Not a bad idea actually. A fairly simple "hold alt to freelook" like in rust or arma 3 would be a nice addition. Not sure if it could have any kind of way to be exploited in game since you can't aim your attacks or turn around while you use it.

Conscript 112 270
  • 6 Dec
 Shovonem

@ÐMontyleGueux said:
Not a bad idea actually. A fairly simple "hold alt to freelook" like in rust or arma 3 would be a nice addition.

'Holding a button to look behind' is exactly what I am suggesting. As for exploits,, devs could easily put some limit to what you can do in the look behind state.

Duke 5164 11173
  • 6 Dec
 Jax — Community Manager

freelook arma-style wouldn't work imo, as that restricts you from turning - Mordhau is simply too fast-paced for that to be useful, and it'd feel way too clunky

Conscript 112 270
 Shovonem

@Jax said:
freelook arma-style wouldn't work imo, as that restricts you from turning - Mordhau is simply too fast-paced for that to be useful, and it'd feel way too clunky

I found a random 30 second dying light clip. At 0:04 you will see the character quickly look behind and throws a flare. That's the kind of fast look behind(while running) I am referring to.

Knight 558 1402

@Jax said:

Well obviously it wouldn't be used in the middle of a fight. It would be useful to look around while running towards an objective to check for archers or horses that might be a threat for instance.

881 6122
  • 7 Dec
 marox — Project Lead

It's a feature that's been considered before and one I'd really like to have, but unfortunately it has serious clipping issues in 1P, so it's quite a bit of work to make sure we could avoid all/most cases

Knight 389 1247
  • 10 Dec
 Mittsies

@Sir Zombie said:
I like that you have to choose between running quickly and knowing how close the enemy is.

My main issue with 3rd person right now is that it essentially allows you to do both.

Duke 6717 9328
  • 10 Dec
 Sir Zombie

@Mittsies said:

@Sir Zombie said:

My main issue with 3rd person right now is that it essentially allows you to do both.

:)

Sellsword 433 1420
  • 14 Dec
 Goof

Alof of FPS games are including a headlook feature these days: Squad, Arma, War of Rights, ect

Though alot of them have awkwardly implimented them.

I'd say it's a viable option here, but I'd hate for it to feel clunky or awkward.

Knight 802 1709

Cuisine Royale has the best free look system implemented so far. PUBG's is very good too.

Knight 802 1709
  • 16 Dec
 Ulkenstride

This would be the ideal free look aesthetic 20181205223727_1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Duke 5164 11173
  • 16 Dec
 Jax — Community Manager

3P and 1P animations aren't close enough to work

try playing skyrim with the 3P animations in first person, you can't even see your sword and it clips like crazy

Knight 802 1709
  • 16 Dec
 Ulkenstride

@Jax said:

try playing skyrim with the 3P animations in first person, you can't even see your sword and it clips like crazy

This is the only way I can give a freelook example, obviously the animations would be first person, but you'd be able to look at your body as the images showed.

Knight 802 1709

@Ulkenstride said:

@Jax said:

This is the only way I can give a freelook example, obviously the animations would be first person, but you'd be able to look at your body as the images showed.

This is what I want to see when I am unarmed and free look down in first person.

64b2daa699373d299e3795941ebd0f77