Mordhau

Your skull is as soft as your belly

Conscript 14 79
  • 28 Nov '18
 discalceator

The state of voice acting

As much as it pains me to say so, we are not quite there yet. Now, of course, there are some good ones. I'm very fond of the helium voice. But for the most part we're dealing with mediocre material. And then you have "your skull is as soft as your belly"... in an American-English accent? Something has to go.
However, as you know, I'm not one for complaining without offering alternatives.

• First of all, eliminate all traces of modern American-English accents. "You pathedic piece a traesh" comes to mind. The actors' throats are fine. What I'm referring to here, is the rendition of certain lines. They should be redone. More on that later.
  • Far from pronouncing Anglosphere supremacy (à la Chivalry), I believe that the more accents - the merrier. The idea of Monty Python Frenchmen and Germans has been thrown around, which I fully support. Get as much as you can: Scottish, Irish, Germanic, French, Spanish, Scandinavian, Italian, Slavic, maybe even sprinkle some Kazakh or Anatolian in there.
  • I don't know how the red team/blue team dichotomy is going to work in Mordhau, but they could be diversified via regional accents. Could be some sort of an Anglo-Scandinavian-Slavic vs France-HRE-Italy coalition or whatever. Restrict certain voices to red team/blue team.
  • Voice actor talent is not that important. Unless you can get the likes of John DiMaggio or the heavy weapons guy from TF2, I really wouldn't concern myself too much about where you recruit from. The only restriction is that you avoid modern American accents. If the waiter at your local Greek restaurant has a funny accent - ask him to be in the game. As long as there is enthusiasm, the voice acting will be at least as good as the writing. The writing is much more important.

Writing

Since it's unlikely for community submissions to include full voice banks, I'd like to propose a voiceline writing contest. The collective minds of tens of thousands of people throughout the world are bound to come up with some good material. Especially when people have time off during the Christmas season. I would imagine that adding new voices is little more than dragging some .wavs into a folder and defining them. So there's still plenty of time to get new dialects, and/or re-record some old ones before the release.

The best part is - unlike Triterion employees - us forum monkeys can be paid off with ingame gold teeth, a special forum badge, or a gold-plated sickle.

Short post today. If you're interested, I go into more detail in the old thread.

What do you think?

14 14

Mordhau is not set in real Europe.

Conscript 652 1460
  • 28 Nov '18
 ohshitsorry

Amen.

Knight 334 777
  • 29 Nov '18
 AngelEyes

They are saving the good ones for the loot boxes.

Seriously though I'm kind of indifferent and could sort of care less about the voices.

What I really care about is giving me the ability to tone them down, turn them off or just overall diminish them in some way. Anything to not make me want to log off the game over something so annoyingly silly.

Knight 1815 2219
  • 29 Nov '18
 Void

The voice with the American-English accent is a placeholder. It's from a voicepack and the only one not made by a hired voice actor. It will most probably be replaced at some point, to my grief. It's my favorite not so much for the writing but the sound. I like that raspiness and natural distortion. Mason vanguard was my fav voice in chiv although it wasn't very popular. I hope we can have a similar sounding voice if it's removed.

Conscript 4546 6277
  • 29 Nov '18
 vanguard

@Void said:
The voice with the American-English accent is a placeholder. It's from a voicepack and the only one not made by a hired voice actor. It will most probably be replaced at some point, to my grief. It's my favorite not so much for the writing but the sound. I like that raspiness and natural distortion. Mason vanguard was my fav voice in chiv although it wasn't very popular. I hope we can have a similar sounding voice if it's removed.

WE GONNA NEED THAT GRAIN, PROTEC THE FARM

Knight 1815 2219
  • 29 Nov '18
 Void

@vanguard said:

WE GONNA NEED THAT GRAIN, PROTEC THE FARM

Yeah that kind of stuff!

Knight 5096 6836
  • 29 Nov '18
 Humble Staff

Completely agree, i knew i'm not the only one feeling this way about voices and that thw comparation with chivalry is not entirely nostalgia based.
Speaking of chiv, the latest voice added a patch ago sounds incredibly similar to the Agatha knight, especially the follow me lines. This is either in purpose or its the actual guy.

Knight 918 2523
  • 29 Nov '18
 Pred

Isn't murican accent actually the "old" one while current UK accents come from 19th century tho?

Count 171 246

The last voice they added, you know the guy saying "LOOK MEN, LOOK HOW TERRIBLE HE IS" is quite funny tbh, and the voice is ok imo.

The main point to me is not really about realism but how funny the lines are and how it is delivered. For example the voice for the guy saying "your skull is as soft as your belly" has the most badass voice BUT his lines are a bit underwhelming in the sense that the laughs are mostly growls, thanks don't really sound like thanks, same for sorry/friendly and some others.

That's just my take on it

Conscript 183 471
  • 8 Dec '18
 Shovonem

We need this laugh as voice command in the game.
Pls. xD

Count 171 246

@Shovonem said:
We need this laugh as voice command in the game.
Pls. xD

Impossible this guy is just unique XD