Mordhau

A more interesting medic gameplay.

Knight 558 1402
Disclaimer : I'm aware that healing items are far from being finished and certainly won't make it to the release version the way they are now. I believe this is the right time to throw some suggestion so as to improve them.

So I've tried to play as a healer support during tdm and skirmishes to see how it would play out. My build include a decent melee weapon with two medic bags as well as decent armor to be able to fight and not exclusively dispense medic bags. I generally place my medic bags behind the columns on contraband so players can heal while taking cover.

While it saves some time, it doesn't feel very useful. Most people don't even notice or remember these bags are here when they need it.

I think the medic bag should be primarily an active healing item you can use on others, that you can also throw with r (like the way it works now). Here's a few ways it could work :

  • The medic bag could be a bandage dispenser. When left clicking, the user pick a bandage from the bag and put it directly into another player's inventory (might be difficult to implement, conflict if the target's inventory is full) or on the ground( possibly hard to spot for the target).

*The medic bag could be an active healing item. Holding left click while aiming at a player in close range will heal him after a few seconds (just like how players hold e to heal right now). The process is interrupted if the target start any action that prevents passive healing or walks out of range. (I can't think of a visual animation that could be done to show the process of healing someone else though).

TL;DR most people don't bother using healing items, I think the medic should have to use healing items on others instead.

350 573

Passive health regeneration works very quickly. Too quickly for me to spend a slot on a healing bandage or to go find a medic... not when I can just sit behind my team mates and heal just as quick before diving back into the fray.

Knight 558 1402

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
Passive health regeneration works very quickly. Too quickly for me to spend a slot on a healing bandage or to go find a medic... not when I can just sit behind my team mates and heal just as quick before diving back into the fray.

I think the bandage is quite good though. I mean it's not that expensive, heals very fast and has enough use to hold until you either die or find an ammo crate. It's nice to have but far from essential.

However I saw medic bags being really useful in skirmishes (a 2v1 situation turning into a 1v1 because the second has to heal before helping his teammate for instance). But even when telling people in the chat, always leaving the bags in the same spots or even throwing them at wounded teammates faces, most didn't even care enough to use them. Which is why I think "don't move I'm healing you" would work better than "here's a healing bag, help yourself". Note that the r key can be used so that the bag have both uses, there is no need to replace the current system.

Knight 856 2253
  • 27 Nov
 Frise

Well if the healed person got a HUD message that said something like "Michael is trying to heal you. Move or attack to cancel.", it could work sort of like in left 4 dead.

Knight 407 939

Maybe they should drastically lower health regen for the main game and just give the option to re-enable the current fast health regen for community servers.

This would put more emphasis and reward for playing medic and having bandages, stop players from always having the unrealistic thinking of "man we wounded the shit out of those guys, but they killed us so I guess they're just gonna get all of their health back in the next ten seconds like some sort of genetically engineered super soldiers," and still allow community servers (especially dueling servers) the option to get into a new fight faster.

350 573

@Knight Nicholas said:
Maybe they should drastically lower health regen for the main game and just give the option to re-enable the current fast health regen for community servers.

This would put more emphasis and reward for playing medic and having bandages, stop players from always having the unrealistic thinking of "man we wounded the shit out of those guys, but they killed us so I guess they're just gonna get all of their health back in the next ten seconds like some sort of genetically engineered super soldiers," and still allow community servers (especially dueling servers) the option to get into a new fight faster.

It would be cool to try out for a patch or two and see how it plays out and decide from there.

Knight 1590 2556
 Runagate

Maybe a system where health can only regen up to a specific point, maybe 67 (Approximately two thirds) could work as well. Getting back to max hp would then require healing obviously.

Knight 558 1402

@Runagate said:
Maybe a system where health can only regen up to a specific point, maybe 67 (Approximately two thirds) could work as well. Getting back to max hp would require healing obviously.

That's not a bad idea at all actually. Like in arma 3 solders can heal themselves with healing kits but can only recover up to 75 health points, to go back to 100 they need an actual medic. I like this system because it makes sure you're not doomed if you don't have a medic around you while giving medics some importance.

203 333

what disturbs me about the medkit bag is that it takes almost as long to select and use it as it takes to heal naturally. natural healing should be slower or medkit bag faster. OR medkit can speed up natural heal rate for a duration to make it useful beyond a 1 time use.

Sellsword 433 1419
  • 6 Dec
 Goof

Ointment bombs - they work the same way as firebombs but with a healing paste.

Give that meat a good ole rub and good as new

Conscript 112 269
  • 7 Dec
 Shovonem

@Goof said:
Ointment bombs - they work the same way as firebombs but with a healing paste.

Give that meat a good ole rub and good as new

What the fuck is a healing paste......