Mordhau

Gaming History: First Melee Slasher

Knight 162 231
  • 24 Oct '18
 Q

Quite possibly the first 3D first-person multiplayer melee game. Technically Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Blood, Duke Nukem: 3D, & Quake all came out earlier & featured melee attacks, plus online multiplayer. However all used sprites (opposed to 3D models/polygons) bar Quake, & I am not sure how many people were actually playing melee deathmatches. Also worth note is Half-Life (released the following year, in 1998), & its legendary crowbar.

GoldenEye 007 (1997)

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 24 Oct '18
 vanguard

I think its cool to look at titles that also have some sort of tracer based melee system. It is interesting because you open up to a lot of genres of games, even on PSone that had it. In Silent Hill 1 you could literally backswing certain enemies like the nurses, when you were equiped with this big hammer. In Silent Hill 2 they fixed the backswing, and on 3 they added timing based parry, footworking via sidestrafe became much more viable, enemies have noticeable windup/release/recovery states so you can read attacks and time your parry properly and there is this one specific enemy that fucking feints you lmao. More like a morph really, the thing starts a attack with one of its arms, but hits you with the other. If you parry as soon as it windups, you eat a morphed punch in the face

It is common to say that Silent Hill's combat is bad, but I think there is a noticeable improvement when you see the first 3 games of the series, and the third one is actually pretty fun and fits really well in a horror game. In fact, I dare say that to this day it still is more fun then resident evil, I can't get into res4 and beyond gameplay at all idk why

Knight 685 1853
  • 24 Oct '18
 ÐMontyleGueux

iirc Dark Messiah had a angle based attack system similar to chivalry and Mordhau. Though I haven't played it so I can't tell if it was even good.

Knight 2608 6920
  • 24 Oct '18
 Rattsknecht

I thought dark messiah had hitscan swords? Felt that way to me

Sellsword 792 2347
  • 24 Oct '18
 Goof

Dark Messiah was a really good slasher for it's time imo.

If you can get it on sale on Steam it'll probably be worth the buy.

Sellsword 792 2347
  • 24 Oct '18
 Goof

Plus the story was pretty good.

You could be the shining knight hero and save the woman you will NEVER have a chance of getting with -

OR you could listen to the sexy succubus in your head that you equally have no chance of getting with and be evil.

Knight 162 231
  • 24 Oct '18
 Q

A few others worth mention include:

Die by the Sword (1998)
Featured a form of real-time swing manipulation, & weapon clashing.

Rune (2000)
Could be played in both first & third-person.

Severance - Blade of Darkness (2001)
Had a fairly advanced combat system.

Knight 445 1074
  • 26 Oct '18
 Knight Nicholas

@Goof said:
Dark Messiah was a really good slasher for it's time imo.

If you can get it on sale on Steam it'll probably be worth the buy.

My friends and I have always wondered why the hell no one has made a co-op mod for Dark Messiah, it's a fun AF game and it really deserves one.

Conscript 4564 6302
  • 26 Oct '18
 vanguard

Can a tracer based melee system be made in the old Doom engine? That would be epic imo

7 0

What about star wars jedi academi? Does it have tracer based melee?