Mordhau

How do I edit my server files to allow VAC/Game banned players to play on my server?

Knight 44 46
  • 6 Oct '18
 BasedPatriot

I don't quite like the idea of the devs telling me who can and can't play on my server, and this would be useful information to know, should they ever ban me.

Disable bVACEnabled=1 in BaseEngine.ini, does not remove the shield for the server, so how do I fully disable VAC?

unknown.png

Above is a test server that I play on with my friend gaydeus, and I disabled VAC so Lazy can play, but the shield didn't go away. Why?

[OnlineSubsystemSteam]
bEnabled=false
SteamDevAppId=0
GameServerQueryPort=27015
bRelaunchInSteam=false
GameVersion=1.0.0.0
bVACEnabled=false
bVACEnabled=0
bAllowP2PPacketRelay=true
P2PConnectionTimeout=90

... I even tried adding

"bVACDisabled=1
bVACDisabled=True"

But the shield is still there, and (I will test when he gets on), lazy can't play.

Knight 44 46
Knight 254 691

I don’t think the devs will come out and fix it anytime soon. It almost seems as if it was by design to have the Ban List work in coordination with VAC. It’s a really awful catch 22 were if you want to play with a banned friend you’d need to disable VAC however that opens up the possibility of hackers coming into the server. Also the devs already think down upon servers providing shelter for banned players referring to them as “speakeasy” servers.

985 6954
  • 8 Oct '18
 marox — Project Lead

Seems it was left hardcoded on, we're looking into fixing the option to disable VAC.

@MrGhostTheFlyingFlail said:
I don’t think the devs will come out and fix it anytime soon. It almost seems as if it was by design to have the Ban List work in coordination with VAC. It’s a really awful catch 22 were if you want to play with a banned friend you’d need to disable VAC however that opens up the possibility of hackers coming into the server. Also the devs already think down upon servers providing shelter for banned players referring to them as “speakeasy” servers. In the wise words of Jax (Community Manager) “Peasants Don’t Matter” this quote was screencaped on another thread prior to it being deleted

Ban list does not work in coordination with VAC. There's a difference between bans and game bans, the former are handled by the ban list and are per-server, the latter are handled by VAC and are global.

324 864
  • 8 Oct '18
 Xatrian

lmao

Knight 254 691

@marox said:
Seems it was left hardcoded on, we're looking into fixing the option to disable VAC.

@MrGhostTheFlyingFlail said:
I don’t think the devs will come out and fix it anytime soon. It almost seems as if it was by design to have the Ban List work in coordination with VAC. It’s a really awful catch 22 were if you want to play with a banned friend you’d need to disable VAC however that opens up the possibility of hackers coming into the server. Also the devs already think down upon servers providing shelter for banned players referring to them as “speakeasy” servers. In the wise words of Jax (Community Manager) “Peasants Don’t Matter” this quote was screencaped on another thread prior to it being deleted

Ban list does not work in coordination with VAC. There's a difference between bans and game bans, the former are handled by the ban list and are per-server, the latter are handled by VAC and are global.

So I assume this isn’t valid? ( not being a dick, just looking for clarification). Because in the picture bellow crush states the offical banlist works together with VAC. He does mention you can disable it in server files(Referring to either VAC or Global Banlist. It’s not really made clear which he’s talking about). However in the end he states that banned players can play on non-vac servers which is rather confusing. Probably got his information wrong again.

CE5DE22B-AE6D-465E-B8A7-F10F1E709010.jpeg8199A67F-1E8F-4FBE-92A6-642B215B91C7.jpeg

3234 4260
  • 8 Oct '18
 Havoc

So either Crush was misinforming, or Crush is misinformed. Neither is good.

324 864
  • 8 Oct '18
 Xatrian

it seems that every single dev has a different opinion on how it's supposed to work

301 875
  • 9 Oct '18
 Naleaus

Sounds like just wording issues.

Ban list = per server and doesn't have anything to do with VAC. It's where the 64 bit steam ID is stored in the server files when an admin types ban "Toxic Moron". The banned person is free to go to any other server and get banned there too.

Game Ban = ban created by the developers that will be in effect on any server with VAC enabled. It's a ban through Steam and works the same as a VAC ban. Anything referred to as "Official Banlist" would refer to this, although it's not really the correct word for it.

Lazy was Game Banned. So any server with VAC enabled should prevent him from playing.

324 864
  • 9 Oct '18
 Xatrian

fascinating that the developers think it's cool to make it so you can't play with someone unless you invite hackers in due to conduct on a private server

King 9 20
  • 31 Oct '18
 Knil

Don't play with filthy cheaters ;)

324 864
  • 31 Oct '18
 Xatrian

@Knil said:
Don't play with filthy cheaters ;)

The only person currently banned wasn't banned for cheating.